The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PJ.

xylyx wrote:All the peeps in the media have at least. I quite like how Daniel Thorpe has kept everything private, but anyway it was to be expected. Always good to see them doing so well, once the ride is up and running and any hubub has died down they can maybe start moving on from it all and let life get back to some semblance of normality :)
I bet the papers were gutted he kept quiet as they couldn't do the "Daniel preferred Thorpe Park"

PJ
xylyx

Lol I'll bet they are kicking themselves over that. Seems like the opening was a roaring success...let's hope the momentum builds :)
Aidan Lowe

Credit: @craig_toy
the smiler signs are back on the 2 of the 3 cars today!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
ST-Chris

Can anyone who went yesterday list the changes to the smiler that have been made??

Is the half way corrected sign still on the walls at the halfway point?
MakoMania

ST-Chris wrote:Can anyone who went yesterday list the changes to the smiler that have been made??

Is the half way corrected sign still on the walls at the halfway point?
I think (but am not sure) that the signs just said half way. The corrected has been removed. The screens around the ride were blurred or zoomed in so you couldn't tell what they said. There was no audio in the indoor queue line, and in the station the audio always said "Join us" whereas previously it has said that and time to get corrected. The shop videos have also been edited. Other than that everything seemed in order, ride music and shop music were the same, entrance sign and shop sign back up as normal.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Sawboss

I can see it all being put back to normal later this season or possibly next year after a season of hopefully smooth running.
Justin

Hopefully it will be restored once all the press has died down.
Considering the logos were not on the trains yesterday and added today, then it could be reinstated soon!

I hope it is!
Simon_hope

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... nsors-ride" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Makes me laugh that a ride in china that has nothing to do with the Merlin brings up the Smiler Incident once again.
Liam.W

Simon_hope wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... nsors-ride
Makes me laugh that a ride in china that has nothing to do with the Merlin brings up the Smiler Incident once again.
Oooh they stopped for 18 minutes ON A LIFT. That news is so disturbing I can't sleep at night!

This made me annoyed:
The news comes as Britain’s most controversial rollercoaster, The Smiler, started spinning once again at Alton Towers yesterday.
SPINNING? Since when has The Smiler been a Gerstlauer spinning coaster?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

xylyx

If you want a good laugh at some truly shonky journalism follow the link in red at the bottom where it says the smiler incident is one of the worst rollercoaster incidents in UK history.

Don't turn it into a drinking game if you have any long journeys to do tomorrow.
Rita Fan

Sorry to ask again, but are they still doing ride dvds?
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
COASTERGUY246

no
jayson2125

I noticed on saturday that even though it was cold the smiler seemed to be going a lot faster...Especially at the valleying point..I wonder if the trims have been removed or track profiled..?
COASTERGUY246

nope. the wheels have most likely been modified by gerstlauer in off season so it loses speed a lot slower
Sawboss

xylyx wrote:If you want a good laugh at some truly shonky journalism follow the link in red at the bottom where it says the smiler incident is one of the worst rollercoaster incidents in UK history.
That shows how good the safety record of theme parks is in this country if that's all a dirt digging tabloid could find. Not that I imagine the Daily Star really puts much effort into anything anyway..
Jawbreaker

Sawboss wrote:I can see it all being put back to normal later this season or possibly next year after a season of hopefully smooth running.
It really should go back to normal when all the press dies down, like Justin said. If it stays like this, people will just be reminded of the incident and we don't want that.

The correction, videos and all of that stuff are some of the best parts of Smiler. It really adds to the theme.

Again, it could be just a temporary thing. Maybe putting it back in April or May or something?
Aidan Lowe

For those who haven't been yet but want to see the slight changes here is a new POV. You can hear & see the changes made at the half way point etc. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering they say safety is now paramount I'm kinda suprised they still allowed this guy to film, not that I object the filming personally.
owenrita121

Andy Mc wrote:For those who haven't been yet but want to see the slight changes here is a new POV. You can hear & see the changes made at the half way point etc. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering they say safety is now paramount I'm kinda suprised they still allowed this guy to film, not that I object the filming personally.
I'm pretty sure they didn't allow him, that pretty clear with the way he started filming just after dispatch and then stopped filming seconds after hitting the brake run.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Dom

Just a quick reminder for you.
Anything not specifically relating to the incident can be discussed in The Smiler - General Discussion topic. :)
Aidan Lowe

owenrita121 wrote:I'm pretty sure they didn't allow him, that pretty clear with the way he started filming just after dispatch and then stopped filming seconds after hitting the brake run.
CCTV cameras come to mind. Not a great start to the season if they aren't paying close attention to them on not one but two lift hills.

Also in the station the OP cabin is above him as well as the ride host would of been just a few feet to his left. It's not even as if he tried to film discreetly, he clearly had it in his hand away from his body.