The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
dazza4783

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with what she is doing. She is making the most out of a bad situation. I'm sure she would rather the crash had never happened and be living a normal life out of the spotlight, but while the press have put her in the spotlight and she has got this minor celebrity status she might as well get the most out of it she can. I know I would and i'm sure there aren't many among us who wouldn't.
xylyx

Where has she said she wants to go on strictly? I thought that was a made up example of attention seeking.

Very true dazza4783 and this fame will be fleeting as the accident slips into history so I don't begrudge her using the platform they keep handing her while it's being offered.

As for the papers read them, just know what you're reading, the press can be a nuisance but they play a vital role in accountability and all manner of discussions etc :)

3 more months....it feels so far away atm but it's effectively tomorrow. Do we think it will be up and running on opening day?
bengutt

xylyx wrote:Where has she said she wants to go on strictly? I thought that was a made up example of attention seeking.
You'd have thought it made up, as it is in the mirror.... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life- ... ky-7002383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, between the picture of the horse drawn carriage and the NTC taxi.
Sawboss

Is she making the most of it though? It's not about the money since she will receive compensation. I just think it's sad that being 'a celebrity' is held as a worthy goal in society.
Still, she effectively seems to be being used by the Mirror as a marketing tool, who they'll discard when the interest wanes and find someone else they can use, like some kind of parasite in a tie.
sianmann88

dazza4783 wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:She could easily get on the Jungle or Big Brother that's full of nobodies.
Or on this.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
was just going to post and ask if this was her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xylyx

Ahhhhh I see now, lol she joins the ranks of a thousand other nutters who want the same thing lol.

Yeah the cult of celebrity is something to be ashamed of tbh, the worship that's poured onto some of the folks famous for effectively breathing at the same time as the rest of us is tedious and weird but hey ho. I prefer to ignore them, focus on the peeps who do matter :)
Aidan Lowe

For anyone interested Vicky will be on the first episode airing December 22nd on E4 at 9pm.
Jay said the leg piece, which incorporates a family of elephants, symbolizes the guidance and support Vicky has had from her family during her trauma.
I personally don't know much about elephants & their behaviors so don't know how the tattoo relates to her family support specifically.

A snippet on SoundCloud about views on whether it should re-open or not. Don't like it when people say it needs to remain closed and/or dismantled out of respect. Are these people for real?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
TheBeast

I understand where people get this view but i don't really agree with it... arguably we could claim it's disrespectful to dismantle the ride as we like it so much. There's nothing we can really do to change the people's view of it unfortunately. We just have to wait
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Aidan Lowe

Glad you do as I don't understand it at all.

I mean in what world can the closure / removal be of any help to those affected. Whats happened has happened, chances of them going to a theme park again.. probably nil given their experience.

Will it help emotionally if it remained closed / removed, no.. the memory of the tragic incident will remain with them for a great deal of time. But the process of healing mentally isn't like Vicky is doing, everything she does now it will all be brought back up again and imo she is the only one who can stop that, she wants all the spotlight currently nobody but her is making her be this open to the media.
Adam.W

Well, people come to the conclusion of it being dismantled or whatever because they personally aren't going to ever ride it again, so nobody else should be able to. I also kind of think it's linked to like the fact that it crashed; I mean, there was a study that showed people would rather wear a jumper that was dropped in dog poop, instead of a jumper worn by a mass murderer.
Themeparksandy1981

Alot of things I read on social media mainly point to the fact that human error was the cause and they won't be riding it again just in case it happens again.
I think they need to do new breakdown voices for next season
Aidan Lowe

Even more coverage on NWT.. Vicky awarded her mother the BBC Christmas Star award for being... a caring mother.. and of course the cameras had to be there to capture the heartwarming moment.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-35127249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xylyx

There is a very good book which covers this type of thinking, it's called Risk, by Dan Gardner. Well worth reading as it highlights a lot of valid points, one of which is that people are terrible at assessing risk. I always think back to it during my interactions with the world and its amazing how often the strangeness of the human mind works against reason. The gp hear that it was someone overriding safety and that's where the listening stops and the assumptions start.

I think it will be a slow start to the season due to these assumptions but as long as everything runs smoothly things will pick up. There will always be the loud voices disputing safety and whatnot but they would be spouting the same guff had nothing happened. People only listen atm because of the accident, but that will pass as it becomes history.
MakoMania

Yeah I reckon March/April will be slow, but not quite as slow as 2015. Then by May I think things will begin to pick up with the "new Air" opening and marketing kicking into high gear.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

Seems Joe went back to the theme park sometime the week just gone as his counselor suggested it.
“I even went back to Alton Towers because my counsellor recommended it. It’s incredibly difficult to talk about but I wanted to get stuff out of my mind.
There is an article on The Mirror under the title "Alton Towers Smiler victim returns to theme park for first time since horror smash" but it doesn't really focus on that, its briefly mentioned. Its another "how were doing" and is similar to Vicky & boyfriends trip to America.
Sawboss

That's very brave of him, good chap. Counsellor's got it right there, confront things before they've got a chance to fester in your mind.
owenrita121

I wonder if any of the 16 in the crash will ever go back on The Smiler, I find it hard to think any of them will but maybe one might?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Sawboss

I doubt they'd do it for fun, but depends how far they feel they need to go to get over the incident. I imagine going on any little coaster would be better though.
Aidan Lowe

For those wondering about how Vicky might participate in Strictly, its not totally off the cards. She is going to begin trialing a new high-tech bionic leg in the new year. Here is a good example of a dancer with her bionic leg dancing with a partner.
MerlinFan

She is really getting on my nerves now. I'm really not interested in her anymore. Glad she is getting a high-tech bionic leg (that some war veterans can only dream of having) but all the other stuff (free super expensive tattoo for TV, dreams of getting onto Strictly Come Dancing, very expensive 'dream' trip to New York probably paid for by The Mirror) I really couldn't care less about.