The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rita Fan

Should we all as a forum send a message to the papers, telling them the accident was ages ago and Alton are trying to move on, the victims are trying to move on, the GP is trying to move on, and that the stories now are just getting repetitive?
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
NemesisRider

By now, I've posted a few times about my opinions on The Mirror. I believe they're dragging the story out from competition reasons (to lower The Sun's readership by putting people off free Alton Towers tickets) but there's one thing in this article that's really bugging me.

She says how strapping herself in on the plane brought back horrible memories of the crash. Whilst this will have been sensationalised by the journalists, anyone who has been on a plane will know that they are literally just a seatbelt, and bear no resemblance at all to The Smiler's OSTRs. How could a plane seatbelt over any other type of seatbelt remind her of The Smiler?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm extremely glad she's recovering. But this is just beating a dead horse, dragging out a story for as long as possible. This article is just another pointless rehash of the information we already knew and a desperate attempt to keep the crash in the public eye. They already wrote an article about the announcement it was Human Error, so this one basically was just about keeping the crash fresh in the reader's mind's.

Disgusting journalism practices in my humble opinion.
JCP

NemesisRider wrote:She says how strapping herself in on the plane brought back horrible memories of the crash. Whilst this will have been sensationalised by the journalists, anyone who has been on a plane will know that they are literally just a seatbelt, and bear no resemblance at all to The Smiler's OSTRs. How could a plane seatbelt over any other type of seatbelt remind her of The Smiler?
Actually, psychologically the two situations are very similiar. You're placing your sole trust in the training and its implementation to someone who's incorrect actions could have catastrophic effects on yor life.

I imagine belting up very likely brought about those same raw memories. It's the physical action that would stir a lot of emotion and I don't think you have any right to judge someone for being psychologically traumatised by such a dreadful incident. No matter how she goes about it.

The Mirror itself is deliberately stirring the story, but it's very much still in the public eye. You only had to scratch through the surface of enthusiasts and standard theme park goers to know that a lot of people are not visiting the resort and don't plan on for a while. I imagine the resort KPI's say something along the lines of 'high number of return visitors who've visited within 18 months, low number or new visitors.' The resort need to focus on getting the trust of those visitors back before the case goes through the courts, which is extremely likely as I don't doubt the HSE and the victims will persue legal proceedings and criminal charges.
stealthsmiler

Although I sympathise that the incident was traumatic for her, I too agree that the article and statement was unnecessary. I get that it is kinda similar however the fact that she will have been travelling round in cars, which have seatbelts that are more similar to the Smiler than a plane and also where she has to put herself in a situation where she has to put all her trust in someone else, makes that statement seem a bit strange as if she was traumatized so much that she panics on a plane, how has she been in cars and been fine? As I said, I am sorry for her for having to through whats shes been through and I'm sure its horrible to loose a limb, however there are many people who have had to go through this and she does seem to put herself in the spotlight a lot.
Themeparksandy1981

I think if I read a paper again I be to scared to even leave my own home. As for the Smiler I'm willing to give it a chance again but if I do see any staff not fully focused on the ride I will report them.
Tom170499

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:I think if I read a paper again I be to scared to even leave my own home. As for the Smiler I'm willing to give it a chance again but if I do see any staff not fully focused on the ride I will report them.
That should be done for any ride really as any ride has the capability of crashing, especially multi-car coasters. Staff are paid to operate rides safely and efficiently, not have a chat about unrelated matters - something I often see on Sonic Spinball.
xylyx

She's an attractive young woman who's been in one of the horrible moments of this year. The fact we've had so many of them and every single one has been infinitely worse has dulled the effect a little but she was in the news for the worst of reasons so it's only sensible that her pr rep wants the news to be more positive.

Reading the comments on fb there are only 40 in total and half are telling her to go away while the other half saying how brave she is so I don't think the gp care too much. I love that she's making the best of her situation, and getting on with life.

As for the mirror they love the fact she's an attractive young woman in a horrible situation, and that can be used to anchor even the weakest stories, which is what they all are now we know what happened and there's nowhere for the conjecture to go.
Kraken

I fully agree that The Mirror are milking the Smiler incident for all they can - and the fact that they have an attractive young woman who suffered very bad injuries & is willing to talk and by photographed by them certainly helps to sell papers. I am sure Miss Balch is not doing this for free either.

On the flip side, I can see why an aeroplane would bring back memories / flashbacks. Yes, the harnesses / seatbelts are completely different. But you are being sat in a fixed row of seats, with another row in front of you in close proximity & putting complete trust in the pilots. Sure, she will have travelled by car on lots of occasions, but you can make space there - put the passenger seat as far forward as it will go and sit in the back behind it. Or sit in the front with the passenger seat as far back as it will go. In the case of the car, if the driver is a family member / friend, you are likely to have a far higher level of trust in them.

Hopefully this story will go quiet for a few months. You can, however, guarantee that The Mirror will jump on it again when Alton Towers announce their ride line-up for 2016 including The Smiler. I also think a lot of media outlets will pick up on it when the official HSE report is released - especially if they state they intend to prosecute Merlin for H&S breaches.
bengutt

Her reason to do the story "I love Strictly and it would be a dream come true to earn a place on there.".

Time for her to find something else in her life other than "this bad thing happened to me, can you make me famous?"
xylyx

She is definitely the most attention hungry, but good luck to her: she had a valid reason to be in the news. It was a horrible way to get there but it definitely feels like the mania around it is fading. Saying that: despite all the stories now being none stories, I'd still rather read about her than some of the none entitles that get headlines.
Adam.W

"I love Strictly and it would be a dream come true to earn a place on there."
I'm sorry, but that is a bit overboard, I mean she's basically asking for a place on strictly come dancing because of the whole incident.
Themeparksandy1981

She could easily get on the Jungle or Big Brother that's full of nobodies.
Rita Fan

Adam.W wrote:
So, I can lose my arm and get a place on I'm a celebrity? Best. Logic. Ever ](*,)
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Dan

Rita Fan wrote:
Adam.W wrote:
So, I can lose my arm and get a place on I'm a celebrity? Best. Logic. Ever ](*,)
I highly doubt Vicky will ever be able to go on Strictly, purely due to the fact that she would have a prosthesis on. This would limit her range of movement compared to the other contestants and it just wouldn't be fair.

Don't you have to be a celebrity to go on shows like that anyway? :-k
dazza4783

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:She could easily get on the Jungle or Big Brother that's full of nobodies.
Or on this.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aidan Lowe

/facepalm

Shes everywhere!
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Smiling bass

Oh for **** sake, reading this makes me wana barf. Strictly come dancing... really?
Sawboss

To be fair the people on that program aren't celebrities anyway. Though I agree the Strictly thing is a bit silly. I think it's a symptom of our celebrity focused culture. Anyway, she risks over exposure and a backlash, and that would give anti-Alton Towers people ammunition against what they would say are the 'callous' AT fans.

Basically, I think we should just forget about it. Know the facts of the accident and when someone brings it up put them straight in a reasonable way.

The only thing that annoys me is when the press describe her as an 'Alton Towers survivor', Ooh.. So like everyone who's ever been there then?
ponder

Dan.N wrote: I highly doubt Vicky will ever be able to go on Strictly, purely due to the fact that she would have a prosthesis on. This would limit her range of movement compared to the other contestants and it just wouldn't be fair.

Don't you have to be a celebrity to go on shows like that anyway? :-k
Stella McCartney went on the US equivalent with a prosthetic...

But yeah, I don't think the show producers would consider someone who has been in a roller coaster accident as a celebrity, no matter how hard the Mirror try to push her.

Also, stop buying / reading / acknowledging newspapers. They are a cancer.
Last edited by lewis97 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts
Dan

ponder wrote: Stella McCartney went on the US equivalent with a prosthetic...

But yeah, I don't think the show producers would consider someone who has been in a roller coaster accident as a celebrity, no matter how hard the Mirror try to push her.
I was more referring to the fact that she will probably still be learning how to walk with her prosthetic, so I don't forsee her being comfortable enough to dance at that level for quite a long time.

Yes she was involved in a terrible accident, but that doesn't automatically make her a celebrity.