The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
timmy1372

That article also says "The Smiler held the world record for the most inversions on a rollercoaster. It will remain permanently closed"

I don't think that's been officially comfirmed anywhere! Although the Google places page claims the same thing.
xylyx

Yeah I suspect that's the writer drawing their own conclusions, the general consensus from park representatives so far is that they will complete their investigation before deciding. Very noncommittal but not a statement that it will remain closed permanently.
Themeparksandy1981

The park management must know more than we do with the long term future of the Smiler. Like rumours 1st came about it was reopening at the end of August and all the work done to the site and all the testing and it still didn't reopen.
Dan

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:The park management must know more than we do with the long term future of the Smiler. Like rumours 1st came about it was reopening at the end of August and all the work done to the site and all the testing and it still didn't reopen.
It has been well documented that Alton Towers wanted to re-open The Smiler before the 2015 season finished. For reasons that we may never know this obviously didn't happen.

I believe they will now spend the closed season period preparing the ride for a 19th March 2016 opening. As disappointed as a lot of us are that it didn't re-open before the end of the season this may be a blessing in disguise as it will give them extra time to ensure the ride is tested and ready to go for next season.
Aidan Lowe

They have to weigh up all the options together with HSE consultation I'd imagine and not rushing opening is probably wise. While its their desire to re-open the ride another catastrophic incident could potentially I imagine bring about park closure and not just the ride.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
S.J_O'Grady

What's annoying is that every minor stoppage or breakdown will be reported as the next 'catastrophic incident" by the media.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
timmy1372

I always thought it best to wait until next season to open it anyway, just re-opening along with the whole Park in March will create far less fanfare regardless
Aidan Lowe

Vicky is in the news again today, half of me is happy for her and half of me thinks its totally unrequired. Its like a running commentary of her life now.

So she walked all through graduation with her prosthetic and now has a new love interest in her life. The happy couple has loads of snaps together.

Not like she wouldn't be seen as attractive ever again, unfortunately that's youth today for you, first thing apparently she said when seeing her mangled leg after waking was "who would want me now?"..
sss1986

Andy Mc wrote:Vicky is in the news again today, half of me is happy for her and half of me thinks its totally unrequired. Its like a running commentary of her life now.

So she walked all through graduation with her prosthetic and now has a new love interest in her life. The happy couple has loads of snaps together.

Not like she wouldn't be seen as attractive ever again, unfortunately that's youth today for you, first thing apparently she said when seeing her mangled leg after waking was "who would want me now?"..

I also heard that they film companies were sniffing around to try and make a film about it.....If this is true then what a joke!
Sawboss

Sounds thrilling, four hours of people sitting. Maybe a documentary with correct facts, please no one make a romanticised drama about 4 your people who's lives are torn apart by tragedy.

Torn apart would be half your family being murdered and having to leave your home to escape the army of psychopaths who have taken over your country..
Rita Fan

Oh god, please no. A film about the whole incident will just make the situation even better.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
Aidan Lowe

Vicky is now on Loose Women with her fitness trainer boyfriend.. :?

Some followers of Vicky are also trying to get Busted to see Vicky, similar to what happened with Leah & 1D. :-s

Joe & Leah charity ball was held the other evening it was a success but overall funds raised isn't confirmed yet.
xylyx

I'm glad they're all doing as well as possible :) nice to see some good stuff coming from a horrible incident. I know it will never make up for what happened but pressing on is the only way :)

As for the story of the smiler incident there isn't really enough in it to pad out a film, most likely they'll option a documentary to follow the victims and dig into their lives a bit more. Starting with the crash and tracking their recoveries.

If done right, with an investigative nature that takes no sides it could be interesting.....or it could be an oversaccharined mess of opinion and melodrama.
Rita Fan

xylyx wrote:
As for the story of the smiler incident there isn't really enough in it to pad out a film.
Got to agree. If they do make a film, it'd probably be a lot like 127 hours. Just stuck there. Doing nothing... :-k
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
NemesisRider

xylyx wrote:If done right, with an investigative nature that takes no sides it could be interesting.....or it could be an oversaccharined mess of opinion and melodrama.
It's probably going to be a melodramatic "documentary" and focus more on drama, quotes and reactions instead of actual events. I'll bet if a documentary happens though it will be Leah, Vicky and Joe mainly, probably they'll not get input from Merlin or other sources about the investigation outcome or facts.
Adam.W

I'm sure the mirror would pay a fair amount of money for them to direct the entire movie, with constant scenes of horror and exaggeration.

To be honest, it seems a bit unnecessary for a movie to be made about it, the victims have said they didn't want to constantly be bothered, and by the time the movie's made the story would have died and people would have forgotten (well, to an extent)
JonDoesTT

I wouldn't want to see a documentary, it would be very very biased, and would probably end up winding us all up.

Credit to NemesisRider
Aidan Lowe

For those who are interested in the Loose Women segment, nothing really that's not been covered before.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated Post

So Leah & Joe are doing an anti-bullying talk to school children because of them being trolled online in which case you can simply make your Twitter profile private.

It says in the article they said they are now scared of fairground rides, I hope that was simply for the press as those kids don't want to be dissuaded from theme parks.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update ... irgrounds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sawboss

That is one dumb headline.

'Alton Towers crash victims: 'Life is harder - and we are scared of fairgrounds', well gee thanks ITV, I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.
Rosepetals36

My friend was at Alton towers today, he's a long distance lorry driver, said e picked up a cherry picker from smiler, and they are almost done with it so looks like it'll open next season