The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

I doubt that is the case, its unlikely to last years but the HSE investigation can take a long period of time to conclude.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Rita Fan

Sickos. SICKOS. In what universe is a group of friendly, kind, caring, fun loving people who want to have a good time sickos?!?!? Cor, the nerve of the media
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
MerlinFan

That has angered me as well - why am I a 'ghoul' for wanting my favourite rollercoaster to re-open? That is so offensive! And if Joe has a problem with people for wanting the ride to re-open then that's his opinion but I don't feel it's a fair opinion to have. I'm sorry for what has happened to him but for him to slate the Smiler fans in this way has made me feel a bit less sympathy for him... it's time to move on. It is not his place to insult perfectly decent members of the public in this way (but he was right about the other comment made about 'getting as smashed as his knees' - that is just evil and totally uncalled for!). I wonder if he reads these threads?

Oh yeah - also loving how One Direction have totally taken advantage of the situation and jumped on the publicity bandwagon... oh aren't they just wonderful for taking to time to have photos with the victims, meaning they boost their celebrity status as a result (rolls eyes).
Aidan Lowe

MerlinFan wrote:Oh yeah - also loving how One Direction have totally taken advantage of the situation and jumped on the publicity bandwagon... oh aren't they just wonderful for taking to time to have photos with the victims, meaning they boost their celebrity status as a result (rolls eyes).
I think it was Leah's friends who got in contact with One Direction after the accident asking them to visit her in hospital etc. If it wasn't for Leah & her friends being so forthcoming about a meet they probably wouldn't of, it wouldn't be seen as good for them to reject it.
Themeparksandy1981

Right if you were 1 of the 16 guests on that train or even worst on the front row then would you still be saying I be the first person in the queue when it reopens.
ASturge21

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Right if you were 1 of the 16 guests on that train or even worst on the front row then would you still be saying I be the first person in the queue when it reopens.
But everyone one has their own opinion and people are expressing their opinion like they do in elections

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Aidan Lowe

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Right if you were 1 of the 16 guests on that train or even worst on the front row then would you still be saying I be the first person in the queue when it reopens.
I believe that if I was in his shoes, no I wouldn't be eager to get back on it being first in the queue when it re-opens but it sure wouldn't stop me going back on it or rollercoasters in general.

I almost drowned as a kid in a swimming pool, doesn't stop me going back in them now.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max

We've had this discussion more than enough times, let's not repeat it please.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Themeparksandy1981

I was just saying like I will be going on the ride again but know lots who have been on it but don't plan on riding the Smiler again.
Sawboss

I think the most tragic part is they got to meet One Direction, haven't they suffered enough?!
danheathpt

I visited today. Zero min queues on every single ride.

Also a guy sharing the monorail with us asked a staff member if the smiler was going to open today. The staff members reply was... "there's a possibility it will open"

Sounds pretty Obvious that a reopen could be in the pipeline for a member of staff to say this????
TH14TEEN

Monday was the original possible opening day, I heard, but they have decided against that in favour of a later date due to ongoing technical issues and unfinished modifications.
Sawboss

Thinking of booking a short stay first day of next season, but only if the Smiler is open. Reckon they'll let us know? Just thought they might not open it straight away, might wait a week or two.
Morgan

I lost faith in these "it was supposed to open on ________" since September to be fair. I think that when the H&S report is done or the coaster is allowed to operate again it will open almost instantly. We've just got to sit back, enjoy the other rides until The Smiler reopens.
xylyx

Sawboss wrote:Thinking of booking a short stay first day of next season, but only if the Smiler is open. Reckon they'll let us know? Just thought they might not open it straight away, might wait a week or two.
I should imagine they'll say if asked directly but won't splash it all over any promotional material. Perhaps just slide the name back into the ride line up and leave it at that :)
Themeparksandy1981

Do u still list at the park entrance the rides out of action?
Capt.Barnacles

TH14TEEN wrote:Monday was the original possible opening day, I heard, but they have decided against that in favour of a later date due to ongoing technical issues and unfinished modifications.
It would never have opened on Monday. Being the 2nd day of the month the media would have been in uproar saying about it reopening so many months to the day of the crash.
Dan

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Do u still list at the park entrance the rides out of action?
I believe there is a notice advising which attractions will be closed that day at each of the ticket booths on the entrance plaza.
Themeparksandy1981

Dan.N wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Do u still list at the park entrance the rides out of action?
I believe there is a notice advising which attractions will be closed that day at each of the ticket booths on the entrance plaza.
They should list it at the beginning as you enter off the main road like Drayton Manor do so it be up to you if you still want to enter.

I think they noticed how busy the park been over half term without the Smiler and I'm sure the effort they putting into the fireworks event this year will also make up for the Smiler been closed.
Dan

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Dan.N wrote:
They should list it at the beginning as you enter off the main road like Drayton Manor do so it be up to you if you still want to enter.

I think they noticed how busy the park been over half term without the Smiler and I'm sure the effort they putting into the fireworks event this year will also make up for the Smiler been closed.
In all fairness if people are going to drive to Alton they will probably have made the decision in advance and will hopefully have visited the website beforehand. Even more so with the power of social media it is very easy to find things out these days.

Alton has been very prominent in the media this year so if anyone visits the park expecting every attraction to be open I would be very surprised. Most people will research before they visit so they know exactly what the ride line-up will be before they arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk