The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adam.W

My bet is tomorrow, when SAW reopened there was another message as opposed to the normal 'foreseeable future' message and it reopened the next day. Also, it emphasizes that all the necessary steps have been taken and with it possibly being ready it just conveys a good sort of image on the ride for it being safe tomorrow. If anything, it will open at 3 after a good several hours of testing.
S.J_O'Grady

Adam.W wrote:My bet is tomorrow, when SAW reopened there was another message as opposed to the normal 'foreseeable future' message and it reopened the next day. Also, it emphasizes that all the necessary steps have been taken and with it possibly being ready it just conveys a good sort of image on the ride for it being safe tomorrow. If anything, it will open at 3 after a good several hours of testing.
Hope you're right, tomorrow sounds good to me! :)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
stealthsmiler

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:Has any of the Smiler signage gone back up yet?
I suppose that will be the ultimate give away. They won't do it any earlier than they need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam.W

It will probably just go up overnight, it's just a bit of a case of pritt sticking on a few pieces of metal ;)
Capt.Barnacles

With The Smiler having not opened thus far, my theory is that it will open either very late today, or tomorrow, whilst the spotlight is on Thorpe Park and Fright Nights, so the media won't be as focused on Towers as they otherwise would. Ironically... that'd make one of the Mirror's articles actually true, 'Smiler to open for Fright Nights'.

I maintain my idea that as far as signage is concerned, it should easily go back overnight when it's time. There's not much to it, some signs are simply tie wrapped to the fences anyway! So if Alton Towers reopen it with full effects, we'll know when it's about to happen.

As always don't take any of this as guaranteed fact, all just theories.
Aidan Lowe

Won't be open today. Cherry picker by the shop, maintenance and "red coats" in the station, guy currently working on the marmaliser.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

Guy working on the marmaliser? Could they turn that on some time tonight, I remember it was never turned off before :lol wonder why there's a cherry picker by the shop... By maintenance and red coats do you mean AT staff or ah&S (as in red coats?)
Aidan Lowe

Just staff.

Maintenance guy is checking the v. lift atm. 3 trains on the brake run. Campbell Scientific van parked behind the maintenance bay.
Ryan.B

Reckon cherry picker could be to check the wind measurers on station. I'm thinking the next two days considering people are working on the marmaliser.
Aidan Lowe

Cherry picker is up now and the technician is wiring it up & using a small wind device and directly blowing into it.
Adam.W

Andy Mc wrote:Just staff.

Maintenance guy is checking the v. lift atm. 3 trains on the brake run. Campbell Scientific van parked behind the maintenance bay.
3 trains on the brake run? Does that mean 1 or 2 trains are in the station? (Also, were they empty, if so then weightless testing could have been taking place :D)
Aidan Lowe

Adam.W wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:Just staff.

3 trains on the brake run? Does that mean 1 or 2 trains are in the station? (Also, were they empty, if so then weightless testing could have been taking place :D)
Ah no don't get me wrong I meant on the track, 2 in the station and 1 behind in the brake run & they were weighted with dummies still. Never saw it testing today however, left at 3.
Sawboss

I'm just hoping it's not a half-hearted reopening without the effects and things. That someone was working on the marmaliser is a good sign, I love the way it lights up X Sector at night.
Justin

Dan C wrote:With The Smiler having not opened thus far, my theory is that it will open either very late today, or tomorrow, whilst the spotlight is on Thorpe Park and Fright Nights, so the media won't be as focused on Towers as they otherwise would. Ironically... that'd make one of the Mirror's articles actually true, 'Smiler to open for Fright Nights'.

I maintain my idea that as far as signage is concerned, it should easily go back overnight when it's time. There's not much to it, some signs are simply tie wrapped to the fences anyway! So if Alton Towers reopen it with full effects, we'll know when it's about to happen.

As always don't take any of this as guaranteed fact, all just theories.
Said virtually the same a few pages back. I agree!
RIDECRAZY

So just come across this tweet on Twitter, they reply with the standard response as of late; stating that they're taking the 'necessary steps' first, however what they say next is quite interesting and hints that it may open tomorrow as he is asking whether it'll operate tomorrow and they don't say foreseeable future or any of that, just that it's not opening 'today'! This must mean it's opening tomorrow or at least the very near future?!

118hazaman

RIDECRAZY wrote:So just come across this tweet on Twitter, they reply with the standard response as of late; stating that they're taking the 'necessary steps' first, however what they say next is quite interesting and hints that it may open tomorrow as he is asking whether it'll operate tomorrow and they don't say foreseeable future or any of that, just that it's not opening 'today'! This must mean it's opening tomorrow or at least the very near future?!

I think you are reading into this too much. The reply only consisted of the words "today" because AT were asked whether it would be open "today". It's not like they just used the word from out of the blue.

However, we could see The Smiler being open tomorrow, rendering this comment stupid. I'd love for that to be the case.
Themeparksandy1981

I can't see it opening today as they would like a normal midweek term time to really get the ride and the training ready for the scarefest event. Like over the weekend they could be seeing that all the effects work in seq when the cars past under it. Then have preview times with warnings outside that it's in preview mode and can close at any moment.
Aidan Lowe

If you currently look at all the responses the team are doing this morning it has now changed again, many people speculating and sending in tweets to ATR asking if it'll be open in the next few days or in time for Scarefest.

Their response to every post in relation to this is:

"We do not have this information at present, apologies."

And for people asking just about general update about The Smiler they're using:

"We would like to reopen The Smiler, but the decision will only be made after we've undertaken all necessary steps."
chrish

Andy Mc wrote:If you currently look at all the responses the team are doing this morning it has now changed again, many people speculating and sending in tweets to ATR asking if it'll be open in the next few days or in time for Scarefest.

Their response to every post in relation to this is:

"We do not have this information at present, apologies."

And for people asking just about general update about The Smiler they're using:

"We would like to reopen The Smiler, but the decision will only be made after we've undertaken all necessary steps."
Not looking like it will be today.

Sawboss

I can imagine it being a bit frustrating handling that twitter account...