The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

NemesisRider wrote:When did Saw reopen at Thorpe Park? Firstly, what day of the week was it? I know it's a different situation but they may be using the same protocol about when it reopens after everything like checks are done. We may be able to speculate a reopening time and date more accurately with that info.
Saw-The Ride reopened on Thursday 9th July at around 3pm, with the park shutting at 5pm. There was no announcement, it just appeared on queue time boards and the queue line was opened. Although we had fast track the atmosphere and joy in the queue was huge. I think this is exactly how they will open The Smiler, and the reaction from guests when it does eventually re open.
Themeparksandy1981

Well if management is happy that the Smiler is ready and all staff is fully trained to the new rules then they will open it in the afternoon and just tell guests walking past that it's open if they want to ride it again.
Then I bet within half hour there be a video uploaded onto a social media site then within a hour it be all over Facebook,Twitter and other social media sites and forums.
Then that video will be shown on the local and nationwide news with news crews outside the park trying to interview guests as they are leaving the park.
Then I wonder how many more guests they will got in the park over the next week.
S.J_O'Grady

I saw on Twitter that somebody apparently noticed merchandise being loaded into the Smiler Shop
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Morgan

Got a link?
S.J_O'Grady

Tweet was from @39stonecyclist:
https://twitter.com/search?q=alton%20to ... lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Adam.W

Alton towers have reverted to saying 'The Smiler is closed for the foreseeable future' on Twitter again, multiple times. (No other responses other than this)
Morgan

They won't say anything else until it's open ;)
Rita Fan

Kinda worrying that
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
ASturge21

Rita Fan wrote:Kinda worrying that
Worrying?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Ryan.B

Nope, different Twitter team members say different things. It's so it doesn't give away the opening day.
Dan

If I remember rightly the Thorpe Park Twitter team were saying "We can't put a time frame on SAW:The Ride's reopening" the day before it opened.

The "foreseeable future" line will just be one the social media teams have been asked to say by Towers management.
Aidan Lowe

Queue line clearing in around fast track / single rider was happening today as well as in the pit and all over really. There seems to be another Campbell Scientific wind sensor perched right on the top of lift hill 1 seen here.

I'd be very very very surprised if it wasn't open by Friday. Its been testing pretty much constantly since September 7th in the public eye its only today that trains haven't been sent around I think. One month of testing pretty much tomorrow, hopefully its open tomorrow.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sawboss

Andy Mc wrote:I'd be very very very surprised if it wasn't open by Friday.
You've gotta make another video to epic music to celebrate when it does reopen, Andy :yes:
xylyx

I second that :D
Yunagirlamy

I have seen two people say on Facebook that the prohibition notice has been lifted, but the page looks no different to me.
Wedjie

It definitely is getting close now...

Although, I wouldn't start thinking "it could open tomorrow/any minute" until we see them testing the effects with it.
Aidan Lowe

Wedjie wrote:Although, I wouldn't start thinking "it could open tomorrow/any minute" until we see them testing the effects with it.
I doubt they'll delay a re-opening because effects / the marmaliser screen hasn't been on while sending trains around and apart from the mist on the bunny hop they don't offer anything to the ride experience. I'm pretty sure they'd be eager to get everyone riding and break those effects in at an opportune moment.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
118hazaman

It's testing again today, with the trains dueling. However there seems to be more dummies being used compared to what we have seen recently.

Source: https://twitter.com/megBBK/status/651002810721529857
Rita Fan

Repopening is so close, I can pretty much taste it
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
stealthsmiler

I will definitely be going back this year if it opens. As for the new E-stop. I worry about the post. Even if it is on an enthusiast site, if the media are going through it and posting articles on it. They could get the attention to the GP about it. Then you will get the comedians who think it would be funny to press it. Locking doesn't sound safe to me because what's the point in an e stop if you can't press it quickly and I'm sure the media would jump at the chance to make towers safety devices look unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk