The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
timmy1372

I think we can all agree there will be some changes, I personally think it will go further than just a change in protocol though!

As a minimum we are talking some changes to the existing theme along with increased safety protocols, they have to really.

Something absolutely will be done about the stalling in the batwing, I think this is where we might see some track changes, unless removal of trim brakes is enough alone, but then i don't think it's as simple as that.
lucy2244

I think it would be a real shame to retheme the ride, especially as it's actually quite well themed, with the marmaliser, the exit corridor, the inside queueline and also with the shop and the 'Smiler TV'. However, I think to some degree this is necessary. I don't believe they'll go for a full retheme, but just changing the name and some of the effects is more likely in my opinion. This way, they're being sensitive to those effected, while not trying to cover up that it ever happened, The Smiler will be scrutinized by many, and some will be put off of riding it forever, however I believe it's reputation is damaged, but isn't too late to be salvaged.
Jammydodger

In regards to the stalling, Is it really as simple as getting rid of the trim? I mean the trim is there for a reason, they can't just axe it. If it really adds a signifcant strain to that section of the track then chances are they're gonna have to replace some part of the ride, whether that's wheels or track, down the line anyway if they remove the trim which might end up costing more in the long run.

How about decoupling all the carriages? It would ruin the throughput but lighten the load. Potentially they could add extra block sections in where the trims are to make the throughout more reasonable and dual load the station like Saw.
The problem is, any coaster is prone to stalling if all the stars fall into alignment. Even a mighty B&M *could* stall if the wrong blast of wind hit it at just the wrong time. I'm sure HSE are aware of that fact, and probably won't FORCE them to change anything in regards to stalling, but definitely recommend some stuff.
Tryst

Instead of changing the structure of the track, the changes may be as simple as adding additional sensors in the batwing to detect stalled trains, and also on the parking rail so that the control system can account for all the trains, all the time.
Jevaaaans

I feel they may install additional CCTV to cover more of the track, especially as it seems to have been implied the current system does not cover the Staffordshire Knot.

The trim breaks leading into the Batwing element surely must go. I was under the impression that in the event of an EStop all breaks will attempt to stop the car Asap which will reduce the energy enough to cause a stall in various places.

I think minor retheming needs to be done, mostly focussing on the soundtrack and Marmaliser images. The "HA HA HA" signage from the pre-lift section may be better off being removed also. We shall see what becomes of this beloved attraction.
SPAD

running on that principle then oblivion shouldn't say "this ride is perfectly safe" then proceed to ramble on about ride cars disappearing

saw shouldnt say "i wanna play a game" make referrences to you risking your life on thrill rides then declair "congratulations, you are alive" at the end

why change anything?! it is brilliantly themed which adds to the ride experience, everyone knows that tune, and they have made an amazing IP out of The Smiler brand...

whatever they do will be scrutenised by the press, but people forget, and people move on!

find out the issue which caused the accident, make the relevant changes, re-open for the 2016 season with no big announcement!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

SPAD wrote:running on that principle then oblivion shouldn't say "this ride is perfectly safe" then proceed to ramble on about ride cars disappearing
It doesn't anymore, this has been edited out of the videos.
Aidan Lowe

lewis97 wrote:
SPAD wrote:running on that principle then oblivion shouldn't say "this ride is perfectly safe" then proceed to ramble on about ride cars disappearing
Explains why the video/audio seemed to just pause / stop on occasion yesterday yet it didn't register to me #-o
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
DarkRideLover

Theres no need for that really :?
Jevaaaans

DarkRideLover wrote:Theres no need for that really :?
I think they're just pre-empting any backlash before any narky comments can be made regarding tastelessness. There are some bizarre minded folk in the world, they like to visit theme parks too, just they tend to cause a ruckus.
Zach

Jevaaaans wrote:I feel they may install additional CCTV to cover more of the track, especially as it seems to have been implied the current system does not cover the Staffordshire Knot.

Building on this the CCTV system does actually cover that section, in fact from the Ops cabin there is very little (if anything) you can't see. As I can show you below.

Benb

Re: TheSmilerMan

That's just stupid... they're all close up cameras on specific sections of the track. Why isn't there an overview camera of the ride somewhere? Surely someone might have thought a viewpoint of the whole ride might be useful for the ride op.... ](*,)
Capt.Barnacles

Bear in mind that the track is so tangled that a single camera overlooking the entire ride would have blind spots. Like if one was installed on a lift peak overlooking the whole thing, it wouldn't see the Staffordshire Knot very well.
Adam.W

You can see the bottom of the batwing on cam 09 to the right. You'd see it if it stalled, as it would have been going back and fourth, and probably even when it stopped.
timmy1372

lewis97 wrote:
And Oblivion is still perfectly safe, so imagine what they will do to the Smiler! theme, layout etc

I always thought Oblivion, or any ride that suggests it's safe (or unsafe), was a brave theme to go with on a ride! But I certainly enjoy them!
Aidan Lowe

Chanda Chauhan the woman with internal injuries has been released from hospital and is recovering at home.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Alton-To ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

Another article making it look like the Smiler will shut forever.

Also first payments being made by Merlin

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Victims-l ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SPAD

one accident and they try to ruin the fun for everyone...

Merlin should get disney's lawyer! :lol:
Guitar

Here's the actual quote(s) from the lawyer, rather than what the media twisted it to say.

He said: "The families are satisfied that no expense is being spared in the investigation into what caused the accident on the Smiler ride at Alton Towers.
The health and safety inspectorate made it clear that the requisite multidisciplinary expertise was in place.
The ride is likely to remain closed for a significant period of time – indeed it may never open again. The families are reassured that every angle is being thoroughly covered."

Which seems largely positive for the park, and Smiler, to be honest.

It will remain closed for quite some time because the investigation will take months and possibly years. Investigations like this go into extreme detail where necessary.

Finding the primary cause is normally fairly easy, but not always, and they will also look for any contributing factors.
1 fairly simple sentence, but a whole lot of work to do.

If the primary cause isn't obvious, they won't stop investigating until they know, and the ride will remain shut until the investigation is complete.

I believe the primary cause will be found very easily as they have a huge amount of data, ranging from the computers on the ride itself, through to eye witnesses (both staff and GP), and video of the event. They may even have audio from the ride camera's but I am not sure on that. I'm sure you guys will know though so please speak up.

Then once the investigation is finished, they then have to write the report, which probably runs to at least a hundred pages, maybe thousands, depending on the results of the investigation.

Once the report is finished it will probably have a list of things that must be done, as well as some recommendations.
From an HSE standpoint the ride will be allowed to reopen once the things that have to be done have been done.

Given the investment in the ride already, I can't think of anything where replacing the ride would cost less than repairing / upgrading it.

At that stage the only thing stopping the ride from opening would be Merlin themselves, and from a PR standpoint this whole thing will blow over in a few weeks / months. Merlin have operated admirably since the crash, and the media will get bored and move on eventually.

The smiler crash will become a thing of legend in the playground. People are meant to be a little bit afraid of a roller coaster, it is a "white knuckle" ride after all.
Themeparksandy1981

I think they could be forced to just use the trains as 2 rows of 4. But like someone else said they could have 2 loading areas.