The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

I am on park today and can confirm that The Smiler is currently testing with water dummies on 3 of the 4 rows.

Ninnut85

The mirror will have a field day if they find out the smiler is testing. I can see it now

"Dangerous roller coaster is being readied for opening only a week after the horrific accident that cost one girl her leg...."
Dan

It won't be testing with a view to opening, it will be purely for investigatory purposes under the supervision of the HSE
SPAD

could just be the HSE testing it... wouldn't read too much into it
Alex

There has been a comment on Facebook from one of the staff members that it is just to do with the investigation.
Ninnut85

Dan.N wrote:It won't be testing with a view to opening, it will be purely for investigatory purposes under the supervision of the HSE
Oh i know that, but what do you think the Mirror will run with?
bjh_101

Ofcom have posted statistics on last weeks complaints. Sky News got 1002!

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... 100615.pdf
Alex

That is pretty good, not far behind BGT which would have had millions more viewers!
bengutt

bjh_101 wrote:Ofcom have posted statistics on last weeks complaints. Sky News got 1002!

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... 100615.pdf
Hopefully journalists thinking about a career change to a sensationalist will think twice.

It's sad that the news now is down to how many tweets and facebook posts they can generate instead of actual facts.
nataliemelfa

Some positive news about Leah- Good to see she is on the road to recovery!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... w_facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
timmy1372

Themepark247360 wrote:The Smiler is testing today
Really? I suppose as part of the investigation that's quite likely!
homer22422

This post from the mirror made me laugh my guts up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... ld-5844062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a bunch of bull
definedancing

I didn't think you could strip the title from a world record. Who knew?
langolier

Regarding those that said why didn't the general public phone the accident in......

Do you think that maybe Alton Towers and the emergency services have an agreement that they should only enter the site if a member of Alton Towers staff/management makes the call? I bet some prank calls are made by some guests, and Alton Towers wouldn't want emergency services entering their premises and scaring the guests unless absolutely necessary? Maybe this was the reason behind the delay, that for reputation reasons they wouldn't want ambulance staff on site unless they needed to be?

Also, just out of interest, do you think Alton Towers have the power/authority to block emergency services from entering the site?
ROYJESS

More positive news about the Alton Towers Amputee is reported to now be standing up.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/alt ... ar-BBkUkNJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tallicay2k

langolier wrote:
Also, just out of interest, do you think Alton Towers have the power/authority to block emergency services from entering the site?
I'm sorry but why would they want to do that? At the end of the day they have a very important job throughout the whole of the nation.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
browr020

tallicay2k wrote:
langolier wrote:
I'm sorry but why would they want to do that? At the end of the day they have a very important job throughout the whole of the nation.
legally the can't, if the public call, the have to respond.
Hazard

Out of interest how far away are the emergency services from Alton Towers?

I couldn't imagine it would be very close and would take a at least 10-15 minutes to get to the park, let alone however long it takes once inside?
Wedjie

langolier wrote:Regarding those that said why didn't the general public phone the accident in......

Do you think that maybe Alton Towers and the emergency services have an agreement that they should only enter the site if a member of Alton Towers staff/management makes the call?

A) When we run an overnight scout event there a few years ago, we were told to call security, who would then call the emergency services if anything went wrong. I assume this process goes for everything. Otherwise if there was something like a major security incident (heaven forbid), the emergency services would suddenly end up with 100s of calls coming through when they only really need one from someone who knows what's going on.

B) I believe i'm right in saying you don't have to allow emergency services in/on to your premises (unless possibly police, especially if they get a warrant)...BUT why wouldn't they? That sounds a bit backwards...
Nathan_Fisher

langolier wrote:Also, just out of interest, do you think Alton Towers have the power/authority to block emergency services from entering the site?
Nope not at all, the fire service, police, and paramedics have authority over where they enter if there's a serious emergency (more so for the police). They have a duty of care for the public, if people are injured onsite and need urgent assistance no one can stop the emergency services getting to them.