The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xxbennxx

They are doing it to create shock headlines so that theyget readers, nowhere do THEY mention the number of visitors that attend the park, they leave that to a statement from the park. Millions of people have attended over that time period, 30 is actually a stellar accomplishment. I live in a town of 80,000. A minimum of 50 drunk idiots will attend my local accident and emergency tonight alone.

In short. The media are fear mongering idiots.
Massive child. Married 2 years. Father of one. Must be doing something right?
themealgang

I respected Nick Varney before the interview on Sky News, but now, I have ultimate respect for him.

That interview on Sky News took it way too far and the presenter overstepped the mark. Obviously, she was very ignorant and clearly her motive was to dig into the poor guy, but there was no need to get personal; especially when it came to the comment about the hospital.

That was, quite frankly, disgusting on Sky's part.

Kudos to Nick for the way he dealt with probably one of the most cringe-worthy interviews I've seen in a long time on television. He's come back as the better man despite what's happened. I hope Alton can reopen soon as the best theme park in Britain.
BigToaster

I have to agree with the posts about Nick's interview on Sky. Her conduct during the interview was nothing short of disgraceful. Under the circumstances I thought Nick dealt with it exceptionally well.
tgm999

If you haven't seen the sky news 'interview' with Nick Varney it's just been uploaded to Youtube here " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
browr020

If merlin decide to not tell what happened to the public, we can do a FOI request from the health & safety executive.
Aidan Lowe

How she goes on about safety not being up to scratch before hand, yet wheres the big witch hunt when thousands of cars are recalled for that exact reason?, literally potential death traps... such a horrible woman.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dom

Andy Mc wrote:How she goes on about safety not being up to scratch before hand, yet wheres the big witch hunt when thousands of cars are recalled for that exact reason?, literally potential death traps... such a horrible woman.
She came across like a parrot. I'm a moron but even i understood what Varney was saying first time. Either she is just that stupid, or she's a parrot. I understand she had questions to ask and was trying to get to the bottom of it, but she came across as really insensitive to those who were injured. She never at once even ask if they know how they are doing.
xxbennxx

She has confirmed with that awful interview, that she should not be employed as a journalist.

In actual fact an actual parrot would come across as less stupid.
Massive child. Married 2 years. Father of one. Must be doing something right?
Rita 2005

It was a classic Burley interview, ranting about a subject that she knows nothing about and not letting the actual facts get in the way of her rant. She is a first class idiot.
Adam.W

I call it headline hunting. She was trying to make him say something stupid which could be used in a headline like 'Towers' owner claims that safety isn't a concern'
Aidan Lowe

Credit lewis97: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... 2#p1594652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the damage that circular protruding "thing" has done to the train upon impact. No wonder the two individuals in the center seats come off worse.
Jammydodger

This explains a lot about the injuries sustained. I had wondered why 2 people were more badly damaged than the others. It also just made me realise that providing they were working that day, they should have full on board footage of what happened to the passengers too with the on-ride camera, which may help to clear up any false accusations made to the media by the people on board.
Danny

Jammydodger wrote:This explains a lot about the injuries sustained. I had wondered why 2 people were more badly damaged than the others. It also just made me realise that providing they were working that day, they should have full on board footage of what happened to the passengers too with the on-ride camera, which may help to clear up any false accusations made to the media by the people on board.
The Smiler hasn't been selling ORV all season. The cameras were deactivated last year. But they should have CCTV footage of the accident.
Aidan Lowe

Just threw this together quickly:

Danny

Can I ask, what are you looking at in that picture. It's so blurry I can't make anything out? Or am I being stupid? :lol

EDIT: just seen it, oops sorry :lol
Dannyski

coasterbud1983 wrote:If you've just watched the Sky News interview, maybe you should consider this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadc ... artiality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5.7 Views and facts must not be misrepresented. Views must also be presented with due weight over appropriate timeframes. <- repeated misrepresentation of what NV was saying, even after repeated clarification from NV.

And then this:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadc ... /fairness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7.1 Broadcasters must avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes.
7.6 When a programme is edited, contributions should be represented fairly. <- note numerous occasions where NV was speaking but his microphone was turned down/off

And then this:
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/complain/ ... omplaints/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll take you 5 minutes to do and hopefully it'll get followed up. Complaining to Sky is not really worth it, take it straight to Ofcom.
Yes - we should complain to OfCom - she was awful - I have done it and I suggest others do as well - the show is '1400 Sky news with Kay Burley' and here is my complaint:

"Was one of Ms Burleys children involved in this accident? I've never seen such one sided sensationalism - she was actually shouting at the gentleman at one point whilst he was trying to explain very tragic events. The sort of behaviour she exhibits not only scares and worries people but it damages an industry that has an impeccable safety record and employes tens of thousands of people. Would she take this tone after a plane crash whilst interviewing the airline CEO?

More specifically:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... artiality/
5.7 Views and facts must not be misrepresented. Views must also be presented with due weight over appropriate timeframes. There was repeated misrepresentation of what The gentleman was saying, even after repeated clarification.

And then this:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... /fairness/
7.1 Broadcasters must avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes.
7.6 When a programme is edited, contributions should be represented fairly. There were numerous occasions where The gentleman was speaking but his microphone was turned down/off"
tallicay2k

Can I just say Nick handled that so called interview brilliantly.
That woman on the other hand.....wow she is a nasty piece of work and way out of line.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
daboywunda

This Sky interview is just cringeworthy and proof of the whole Trial By Media.. You're right in what you say that this is very much journalism at it's worst to get headline quotes. It's like Sky (and occasionally BBC are guilty of this too) think they have a duty or right to present a hard-line stance on it and get "the answer for the people" when actually, this is the responsibility of the HSE and not the media..

I was thinking that the Ofcom complaint thing was a bit harsh.... before I watched this..
Themeparksandy1981

I bet next the newspapers will see what the Ropers think of it all.
If no plans to reopen the Rattle Snake,Dragons Fury and Saw to they all Been updated I can now say the same for Sonic Spinball.
With HSE removing the trains tonite that will mean that Oblivion and the Enterprise can be available again when they do reopen the park
ShellD

Hats off to Nick Varney, thought he handled the interview with Kay Burley from Sky News really well! Terrible, thoughtless journalism and a total embarrassment to watch.