Big Six Challenge

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sentri558

Not sure if this has been covered, but the altontowers.com website has posted a new page at https://www.altontowers.com/things-to-d ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if they're just saying "do the big six" but based on the fact that it says "coming May 2015" it appears that something more is going on here. It would appear they are planning on giving AT a marketing reboot to get the GP interested since they lost 500,000 people between 2013 and 2014. Based on my knowledge of business, this would be a viable tactic for Merlin to raise gate entry figures.
Last edited by lewis97 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed topic
Alex

Its basically if you ride the Big 6 coasters in a day you get the chance to win a prize with the most likely one being a ticket for later in the season. I think its already been discussed in the general discussion topic?
sully1311

Um, there's nothing cryptic about it. From May, if you ride all those rides in one day, you get to return for free.
Justin

The 'Big Six Challenge' has been promoted since the beginning of the season, however mainly under Rita in the Dark Forest. More details should be announced soon!
JustWill

This sounds a bit like that 'ultimate roller-coaster' thing they did a while back, where you had to ride th13teen, rita, nemesis, air and oblivion, and then you decide which was your favourite (Nemesis won :P)

I normally do the 'big six' anyway when I go...
Sentri558

They recently said on twitter that more is to be revealed soon.
Aidan Lowe

Sentri558 wrote:They recently said on twitter that more is to be revealed soon.
Most likely the "reward" you could win for doing the challenge, most of us know what that'll be but the majority of the GP won't.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stealthsmiler

I dont get this challenge as I always do the big six in a day when I visit, sometimes twice +. I dont really see whats challenging about it? Its not exactly like every one of those coasters has long queues, its only really the Smiler and Rita, the rest are under an hour long.
Aidan Lowe

I think its aimed to challenge people to conquer their nerves I guess, a friend of mine will not step on Oblivion, keep asking him why but he refuses to say hes frightened I guess lol.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Big Six Challenge has now been confirmed to run from May to September, with guests being required to ride all of the 'Big Six' coasters and to prove they've done so using the dedicated app. The prize for doing so will be a wristband that will allow for free admission on Wednesday 4th November.

Part of the promotion will also be for guests to take selfies with the coasters, for the chance to win an exclusive invitation to the Big Six Challenge VIP Party and an overnight stay.
Aidan Lowe

lewis97 wrote:Part of the promotion will also be for guests to take selfies with the coaster.
Hope its not quite worded like that because that is just asking for trouble, the amount of guests that'll get the phones out whilst riding it and therefore ceasing operation when spotted providing their on the lift hills that is and not mid-ride.

But yea going by the website its clearly pushing people towards The Big Six fast track package, clever business. Making people spend £35 on fast track then give them a ticket on a day that will most likely be relatively quiet, therefore bringing more business in on that day towards the end of the season through car parking fees, photos, food & drink and more fast track because its so busy, genius :p
Adam.W

lewis97 wrote:The Big Six Challenge has now been confirmed to run from May to September, with guests being required to ride all of the 'Big Six' coasters and to prove they've done so using the dedicated app. The prize for doing so will be a wristband that will allow for free admission on Wednesday 4th November.

Part of the promotion will also be for guests to take selfies with the coasters, for the chance to win an exclusive invitation to the Big Six Challenge VIP Party and an overnight stay.
Bet the 4th will be busy then. As for the selfie one, I really don't know what to say :-s
NemesisRider

I'm not exactly a selfie person but I guess I could make an exception with some rides :lol

Also, new merchandise has been released with the logo of the Big Six Challenge. I can't link to it at the moment, but Big Six hoodies are one of the items you can buy.
Adam.W

Would it be possible to do the big six twice? I mean, do it once, then do it again on the 4th and get yet another day free?
Aidan Lowe

sum1mad wrote:Would it be possible to do the big six twice? I mean, do it once, then do it again on the 4th and get yet another day free?
The competition ends 30th September and besides it closes that weekend in November for closed season.

Surprised to see a whole section of merchandise for this, more stuff for people to collect I guess.
TheBeast

I dont see the point...any proper enthusiast does the Big Six anyways, and how do you prove it?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Aidan Lowe

According to TS information on their website: "Users will need to scan the QR code to check in using the app at the exit of each participating ride."
Jammydodger

I should imagine it'll be linked to Facebook. i.e everyone's news feed will be spammed with Alton Towers posting on their behalf, giving them plenty of publicity.

It's pretty lazy marketing, but I suppose that's the digital age for you...
TheBeast

Andy Mc wrote:According to TS information on their website: "Users will need to scan the QR code to check in using the app at the exit of each participating ride."
that's slightly unfair- it disadvantages people without the utility of 3g, and please don't point out the park's wifi because that has never worked, probably something to do with the big metal things next to the queues bouncing the signal back
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Dan

TheBeast wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:According to TS information on their website: "Users will need to scan the QR code to check in using the app at the exit of each participating ride."
that's slightly unfair- it disadvantages people without the utility of 3g, and please don't point out the park's wifi because that has never worked, probably something to do with the big metal things next to the queues bouncing the signal back
I know it's bordering on off topic, but I have never had an issue with the on-resort wifi. The only problem I have with it is that it drains my battery too quickly :lol

In all seriousness, Towers know that virtually everyone owns a smartphone nowadays, and by checking in at the end of the ride it makes it easier to track, and also gives them the option of some easy marketing.

My only concern with this method is how much of a bottleneck it will cause at the scanning point, that is presuming that everyone getting off the ride is doing the challenge. I guess we'll have to wait and see .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk