Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

And what if your one of these "supersize" families who have 10 children? :lol

AltonOperator

You'd just have to get more adults because it's not safe otherwise. By the time you get to ten kids some of then should have turned 8 anyway so won't count on the ratio.
Thanks Jack
Nickolai

Does anyone know if The Smiler has run 4 trains yet this season and will it during school peaks because I am not prepared to be waiting with just 2 trains in operation! :lol
Formally Smiler313
Zach

Smiler313 wrote:Does anyone know if The Smiler has run 4 trains yet this season and will it during school peaks because I am not prepared to be waiting with just 2 trains in operation! :lol
At most it will run 3 trains from my understanding, the park have found that it runs best on 3 trains and this easily understandable as with 4 trains you're always going to have one waiting somewhere on the system.
118hazaman

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:Does anyone know if The Smiler has run 4 trains yet this season and will it during school peaks because I am not prepared to be waiting with just 2 trains in operation! :lol
At most it will run 3 trains from my understanding, the park have found that it runs best on 3 trains and this easily understandable as with 4 trains you're always going to have one waiting somewhere on the system.
I'd like to see them running 4 trains on extremely busy days, such as the saturday of fireworks. Upon timely dispatches there can be roughly 10 seconds before any train arrives in the station. With 4 trains this wouldn't happen, and the throughput would increase slightly.
Dan

118hazaman wrote:
I'd like to see them running 4 trains on extremely busy days, such as the saturday of fireworks. Upon timely dispatches there can be roughly 10 seconds before any train arrives in the station. With 4 trains this wouldn't happen, and the throughput would increase slightly.
Since the crash Alton have come to realise that The Smiler is at its most reliable when running on three trains. Running on this capacity reduces the chance of any computer glitches or sensors tripping which will cause the ride to temporarily go down. Given the increased scrutiny the ride is still under they will want it to have the smoothest possible operations so have settled on a three train service as the way to go.
Nickolai

Ah! Those are some good points that have been made. At least if one train goes down they have one to replace it with. :)
Formally Smiler313
vikkimoo

Do many people go to AT on their own? I work weekends and evenings so would like to go in the week but would be a right Billy no mates :-D
Aidan Lowe

When I get an annual pass in the sale soon I'll be making trips during midweek on my days off tuesdays / wednesdays on my own.

I don't particularly mind it but it does get a bit lonely not talking to anyone when queuing lol
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Justin

I've done the odd day on my own when I stay on an extra day. It isn't to bad, but I wouldn't choose to do it to often.
Robert.W

I personally enjoy going places on my own. I guess if you don't enjoy going to other places on your own, I wouldn't do Alton on your own! I wouldn't worry about looking "billy no mates", nobody actually cares (as far as I can tell :lol )

AltonOperator

I've always wanted to go to alton towers on my own. I imagine it's great to be able to do exactly what you want. I'll do it one day!

Coasterradio were talking about it this week and they said it can be awkward but as long as you have your phone for the queues it's not too bad.

Just don't go on kiddie rides by yourself. With a group you look sarcastic and funny but on your own; just sad and mildly pedophilic. :no:
Thanks Jack
ROYJESS

I love going on my own, I can ride the rides that I want to do, get around the place a lot quicker and usually during the week, there is minimum of queues.
daveclarkedaveclarke

hey can anyone help, planning to go for the day on either the 24th/25th june. I've been plenty of times before but never on a weekend day how busy does it actually get during the weekends? I've a 3 hour drive so don't want it to be wasted by being too busy.
Burniel

I also live around 3 hours away, so I appreciate the necessity to get a good day. Personally, I did my annual visit in the Easter Holidays this year (which I was nervous about), but most queues were no more than about half an hour, with the exception of The Smiler. I'd probably predict a similar case for you. The park doesn't seem too busy lately: no thrill rides are above 35 minutes right now, according to ridetimes, and this is half term! Provided you're there for the full day, you should get everything done without a problem.

I'd recommend the Sunday over the Saturday as this should be quieter, although I understand this may be inconvenient with a 3-hour drive.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
vikkimoo

Thanks for the help guys! I don't mind being on my own - I go walking/to the cinema/to gigs on my own, just wondered how common it is. Next step is to stop the bf moaning that I went without him!
Robert.W

vikkimoo wrote:Thanks for the help guys! I don't mind being on my own - I go walking/to the cinema/to gigs on my own, just wondered how common it is. Next step is to stop the bf moaning that I went without him!
They wouldn't have single rider lines if it weren't common!

Count-Vonduel

Anyone know what's happening with toadstool?

On an unrelated note, where do they store the scarefest car when its not being used, just wondering.
Robert.W

Count-Vonduel wrote:Anyone know what's happening with toadstool?

On an unrelated note, where do they store the scarefest car when its not being used, just wondering.
I'd imagine the Scarefest car is in one of the warehouses behind Mutiny Bay. I wonder if they have something planned for Twirling Toadstool that might give some clues as to what will be happening to CATCF. It wouldn't be out a whole season just for a repainting would it?

Liam.W

Well I know there are a few Scarefest pieces in the storage area on the back path to Th13teen (Freak Show theming, and a Franklin statue), so it could be stored back there with them.

Also, the Freak Show theming back there is very run down now, makes me wonder if they won't be returning it this year as surely they would have wanted to keep it all in good condition?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!