Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AltonOperator

nicky.borrill wrote:
Justin wrote:This year they have changed the rules and will not be permitting any masks or weapons, what ever they are made from.
Another rule that they didn't enforce, despite 'decent' folk obviously obeying and not bringing them. I saw loads of masks, full face included and lots of weapons too. I must have seen 100 different 'Lucilles.' Along with plastic guns, swords, knives etc. 
Yep this got on my nerves a lot. Its a fair enough rule and it just be enforced properly to ensure fairness.
Thanks Jack
Piplup2003

I saw at least three people in full clown outfits with masks on, really creeped me out. (Not because of the clowns, because I couldn't see their face!). Fair enough, the actors being allowed to wear masks and carry fake weapons as it's their job but if there's a member of the GP wearing a mask, that just kind of unnerves everyone. Also, side note, if you didn't know that they didn't have roaming actors at Alton (excluding Galactica people) you might mistake them for a member of staff. They should be asked to leave their masks at the gates if you ask me. 
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.
DeadJack5

The problem with the mask rule is that people will always try and find a way around it. If a member of staff asks you to remove it, you could remove it and then put it back on again in a few minutes. It really does leave people with an unnerving feeling having people with masks on who aren't actors. The park could take on a stricter discipline of ejecting people but I really think it would cause more harm than help.

Also I visited scarefest 7 times over the 2018 Season and I never once saw the Galatica actors and only saw the pirate actors once. It was very badly done and would hope to see a bigger cast of actors or even the return of scare zones.
LordHoward

Good afternoon everyone, please forgive me if this is not the correct forum page for this but I have one of the original Swans from the Swan ride. I believe it to be in good structural condition but it is in need of cosmetic help.  So the big question is where do I sell it?  Is there a website for items like this?  Does it even have any value? A friend and I were going to put an outboard motor on it and cross the English Chanel to raise money for the RNLI, however, with both of us having ill health this never happened. Will be sad to see it go but it's big and in the way, so go it must.
Thanks  Russ
About as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
ROYJESS

You could try and put it on E-bay with a reserve
Justin

The other option is Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace.
Nickolai

Does anyone know if the Premium Alton Towers Season Pass include free parking or ERT?
Formally Smiler313
AltonOperator

Nickolai wrote:Does anyone know if the Premium Alton Towers Season Pass include free parking or ERT?
I highly doubt it. They're not mentioned on the terms and conditions so I'd say no I'm afraid.
Thanks Jack
WickerBoy

Have Alton released the date for the annual pass preview event yet?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

WickerBoy wrote:Have Alton released the date for the annual pass preview event yet?
There isn't a pre-season Annual Pass Preview event at Alton Towers.
slimifyd

Hey all :) this my first post, so first hello!

I'm a bit of a coasterphobe and I've only recently managed to do my first coasters. I'm 31 and have always admired the art of coasters and how much fun they bring to people but have always been terrified!

Since November I've managed:

Drayton Manor - Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks.
Wmsp - Rhino Coaster, Twister.
Disneyland Paris - Big Thunder Mountain.

I was thinking this would be a good road map for taking myself up the ladder at Alton Towers:

Runaway Mine Train
Thirteen
Wicker Man
Rita or Galactica?! (High speed Vs first inversion)
Nemesis
Smiler
Oblivion (this is last as heights are a main part of my fear)

Also I don't have a huge amount of interest in Spinball

How does this seem against your experiences of the rides?

Also Galactica, can you ride it without the headset? If so which is better for first time round? Is it more or less intense with the VR?Or is it simply a case of you have to wear it?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've got my season pass so hopefully I can tackle some of these over the next year :)
Mikw

slimifyd wrote:Hey all :) this my first post, so first hello!
I'm a bit of a coasterphobe I've only recently managed to do my first coasters I'm 31 and have always admired the art of coasters and how much fun they bring to people but have always been terrified!

Since November I've managed...
Drayton Manor - Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome trucks.

I was thinking this would be a good road map for taking myself up the ladder at Alton towers.

Run away mine train
Thirteen
Wickerman
Nemesis
Smiler

Also Galactica, can you ride it without the headset? If so which is better for first time round? Is it more or less intense with the VR? or is it simply a case of you have to wear it.

Thanks in advance for any advice I've got my season pass so hopefully I can tackle some of these over the next year :)
I would say that's about the right order. Or you could just jump on Nemesis or the Smiler, you might be ok and get your fears taken away straight away. I often find it's best just to go for it and don't watch them too much before you do, they usually look worse than they are.

But if you want to do it as you've suggested the RMT is a great place to start.
Swarm Chris

slimifyd wrote:Hey all :) this my first post, so first hello!

I'm a bit of a coasterphobe and I've only recently managed to do my first coasters. I'm 31 and have always admired the art of coasters and how much fun they bring to people but have always been terrified!

Since November I've managed:

Drayton Manor - Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks.

I was thinking this would be a good road map for taking myself up the ladder at Alton Towers:

Runaway Mine Train
Thirteen
Wicker Man
Nemesis
Smiler

Also Galactica, can you ride it without the headset? If so which is better for first time round? Is it more or less intense with the VR?Or is it simply a case of you have to wear it?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've got my season pass so hopefully I can tackle some of these over the next year :)
Hello, and good on you for trying these things out. :)

Galactica can be ridden without the headset. Last year only the back 3 rows had it and was a separate queue, whilst the year before all rows had it but you could just decline it. It's unclear what the train setup will be this year, but you'll never be forced to use it. I would ride it without, if you're still getting used to whether you like roller coasters. There's potential for issues with the VR synchronisation that could put you off perhaps a little unfairly.

I would perhaps swap Wicker Man and Th13teen. I heard a lot of people who went onto Wicker Man nervous, having ridden few roller coasters, but came off laughing and saying it was the best experience they'd had. It's kind of a step up from Big Thunder Mountain.

The other is perhaps Rita Vs Nemesis. Neither have any noticeable height to them, but Rita can be rough and perhaps a little off-putting after having ridden it. Nemesis is intense and you may well come off dizzy the first few times, but for me it abuses my body far less.

Oblivion is very smooth and kinda like flying on the way down. :)

Whatever you decide, be sure to eat and stay hydrated. Being dehydrated can make all of these feel terrible. Have fun!
Bert

Here’s the tip that worked for me, get yourself excited enough before hand and in the queue think positive thoughts on how excited you are to ride and it’ll drown any anxiety until it’s too late, as you make you way up the lift/ wait for the launch just relax and do not tense yourself.
[Insert Signature Here]
slimifyd

Thanks for the replies :)

In terms of seat placement, are there any rides that are tamer in one seat vs another? E.g Big Thunder at Disneyland Paris is almost two different rides from the front (slower and tamer) to the back (way faster more whippy) Does this apply to all?
Swarm Chris

slimifyd wrote:Thanks for the replies :)

In terms of seat placement, are there any rides that are tamer in one seat vs another? E.g Big Thunder at Disneyland Paris is almost two different rides from the front (slower and tamer) to the back (way faster more whippy) Does this apply to all?
The middle of the train on most roller coasters will typically feel to have a slightly smoother and more consistent experience than the front or back. Especially on rides with lots of ups-and-downs.
altontowerskid

Has anyone got any experience of going for the blue light services day? 

I've been invited along this year, going on Sun 17th March. It seems the services day is used as a 'soft opening' before the public opening. 

Wondering what rides are likely to be open, if the Dungeons will be open and the likely crowds... 
ProfBurp

Hey, so just had a look for you on the ATR website FAQ's and here is some information, hope it helps.
It looks like they aren't opening the Dungeons for that date though.

"WHAT RIDES AND ATTRACTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE DURING SERVICES WEEKEND?
All rides and attractions are scheduled to be open (subject to availability and weather conditions)
Please note: The Alton Towers Dungeon will not be available during this private event."
altontowerskid

ProfBurp wrote:Hey, so just had a look for you on the ATR website FAQ's and here is some information, hope it helps.

All rides and attractions are scheduled to be open (subject to availability and weather conditions)
Please note: The Alton Towers Dungeon will not be available during this private event."

Thanks for that, couldn't see any info but didn't think to check the FAQs.
ProfBurp

altontowerskid wrote:
ProfBurp wrote:Hey, so just had a look for you on the ATR website FAQ's and here is some information, hope it helps.

Thanks for that, couldn't see any info but didn't think to check the FAQs.
That's ok you're welcome!