Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Lenic wrote:Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can advise if it’s possible to visit the Towers complex without having to pay for access to the whole park (out of season maybe)? I’m currently building a model of the house with Lego, so would be good to get in the palaces not normally open to the public, so I can get more accuracy to the model (plus I’m fascinated with the place!)

Pics of my current progress with the model can be found here: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/435640

Thanks in advance,

Lee.
Hi Lee,

Your question did not require a new topic so have moved it to quick questions.

Unfortunately you cannot gain access to the Towers without paying the general admission charge. It is always better to go in the Spring or Summer as they also close parts for Scarefest prep.

Nice model!
Lenic

Thanks Chris. Will make another visit next spring then!
Nutty Man

Next year I am staying in the hotel, are there any pieces of advice people could give me about ERT? (What are the queues like, which rides are best to go on, which rides are closest to the hotel etc...)
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
ROYJESS

Only a selected rides will be open during ERT, they are usually walk on during ERT.  

The actual rides available for ERT are yet to be announced and sometimes change depending on the season.  Please note that ERT is not usually available during Oct and Nov and during any special events, but you are usually given Fast tracks to make up for it.  You will be gaining entrance to the park via the main gate, so CBeebies land and Oblivion (I'm guessing that the same ERT line as last year) will be your nearest rides as you first enter the park. 
Nutty Man

Thanks, that's really helped and we're going in May so ERT should be available.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Yappo

I have an Alton Towers annual pass - not this new "season pass" they've just introduced, nor a Merlin pass, just the old AT pass. It's valid through to October this year. What I'm wondering is, will it still entitle me to the same things this year as it did last year, or is the new "season pass" just the new name for the old annual pass, meaning that I'll have a lot of privileges removed? Also, do I get ERT on it or is that MAP only? Can't find any of this info on the website, since they seem to have removed this pass as an option, now there's only the new "season pass" and the Merlin passes, which is why I'm worried my pass might now only count as one of these "season passes" and no longer be worth as much... but I hope not.

Normally I'd ask on the Alton Towers social media outlets, but they seem a little inundated with complaints re. the staggered openings at the moment... so just wondering if anyone here knows.
Last edited by Yappo on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Dan

Yappo wrote:I have an Alton Towers annual pass - not this new "season pass" they've just introduced, nor a Merlin pass, just the old AT pass. It's valid through to October this year. What I'm wondering is, will it still entitle me to the same things this year as it did last year, or is the new "season pass" just the new name for the old annual pass, meaning that I'll have a lot of privileges removed? Also, do I get ERT on it or is that MAP only? Can't find any of this info on the website.
You will retain the same privileges that were advertised on the day that you bought your pass.

I would imagine that Alton Towers Annual Passholders will still receive ERT but it would be best to check with the resort directly.
Yappo

Cool, thanks. I'll check with them when this staggered openings thing has blown over and they're less busy :P

I'm disappointed that this type of pass doesn't seem to be available any more as it means I presumably won't be able to renew it next year and will have to choose between paying a ridiculous amount for a MAP (which I'll only ever use for Towers anyway) or settling for a Season Pass which has all these offputting restrictions such as no Scarefest entry... the old AT pass was perfect for me - I used to have a MAP but since all the other Merlin parks are way down south and require a huge trek and an overnight stay for me, I'd only ever use it for Towers anyway, so when the time came to renew and I saw how much the price had skyrocketed, I opted for the far better value AT pass which allows you all that a standard Merlin pass does at the park with the addition of parking being included on the pass which you don't even get on the standard Merlin pass. It was the perfect option for me so I'm really sad to see it go as neither of the other options really suit me at all, so I don't know what I'm going to do next year :(
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
OhShambhala

Just a quick question, is the park traditionally quiet on Easter Sunday or is it generally quiite busy?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
TheBeornen

Yeah I'm planning a trip on Easter Monday and even though local hotel prices are cheap, I'm worried it's going to be packed
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
vikkimoo

I once went on Easter Sunday, and it turned out to be the travellers' day...I don't know if this is still the case though!
Dan

vikkimoo wrote:I once went on Easter Sunday, and it turned out to be the travellers' day...I don't know if this is still the case though!
Easter Sunday and the first Sunday of Scarefest are the traditional “family friendly” days, although how much of a difference this makes to your trip depends on who you speak to.

I’ve only visited on one of these days and I didn’t really notice anything untoward but other people have had less than favourable experiences.
vikkimoo

I hadn't been in a while before this visit so I just thought I was getting old when I was tutting at the young folk!!!
Joel Allen

I experienced travellers’ day at Thorpe Park Fright Nights this year. What a load of trouble... rides were closing for Guest Action throughout the day. I was talking to several staff all through the day, they said it was a day of nightmares. Other than some people trying to block us getting to the exit on Detonator and them physically abusing us, the day was great.

Just avoid travellers’ day next time!
vikkimoo

I wasn't aware what was going on til 2 days later when I saw it mentioned on Facebook and twigged! so went into it with eyes completely closed. I felt here was a different atmosphere to the park (can't really describe it) and we did leave a bit early as my partner felt uncomfortable.
Teslaaar123

I’m 18, 5’6, and am worried about not being able to fit on rides at Alton Towers & Thorpe Park. My chest is 46”, and my waist is 53” at its biggest point, I can breath in which takes it to 51”. I’m hitting the gym every day so it should be shrinking by the time we go, next month..

Anybody know if I’ll be ok and fit on rides?
streetmagix

Alton Towers

You should be fine with lapbars (IIRC: The Mine Train and Thirteen). 

Nemesis and Oblivion both have big seats, use the Oblivion test seat as Nemesis doesn't have one. 

RITA is a bit hit and miss, some of the seats seem to have a shorter seatbelt than others. I fit in some and not others. Again, it has a test seat. 

The Smiler officially doesn't have any big seats but some trains do have seats which are more forgiving. It doesn't have a test seat from memory.

Wickerman (based on my experience with Woden) is more based on your thigh size. If you have thick thighs it can be uncomfortable and even painful. Woden also has some seats which are tighter than others for no obvious reasons. No idea if it'll have a test seat.

Thorpe

SWARM is pretty forgiving, no big seats (as they are all big seats) plus they have a test seat outside. When I struggle I pull on the metal bars either side as the ride op does the buckle up.

Nemesis Inferno has bigger seats (2 per train) and a test seat. It's probably less forgiving than it's older sister.

SAW is fairly forgiving, I've never had an issue whereas I have on The Smiler. They have a test seat but it isn't powered so it's useless.

Stealth is a little more unforgiving than RITA but it does have a test seat. No dedicated big seats from memory.

Colossus, unlikely. Sorry about that. I've tried a few times and even at my thinnest I couldn't fit in. I am a lot taller than you (6 foot 4) though. It has a test seat outside.

At both parks the dark rides shouldn't pose an issue (although the Hex communal lapbar can get a little tight).

The biggest bit of advice I can give you is: ask the ride ops. They know which seats are more forgiving and they can help you. If they have someone by the entrance ask them, also mention to the batcher that you'll probably need a big seat. They'll direct you to the correct row and seat. 

Best of luck with the weight loose, you can do it!
NemeJaney

In addition to the above, Air/Galactica has 2 larger seats in the middle of row 4 on each train, and a matching test seat at the entrance :)
AndreJD

I've booked a hotel stay for one night, and planning on entering the park the next day. If I buy park tickets at the door, how do I use ERT?
SmileAlways

ERT applies to tickets bought as part of a short stay package, tickets bought in advance and those with Merlin Annual Passes. If you bought your ticket on the day you wished to enter the park then not only would you have to pay full price but you wouldn’t have access to ERT, you’d be entering with the GP at 10am
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98