Alton Towers Resort Quick Questions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

They were discontinued well before the incident. The last few were sold during October 2014 as they were placed on sale. Sorry :(
RedStar98

This is a question from my mum that I'm not totally sure of the answer to: are the Towers open to visit, either with some kind of tour or independently? We're going in the middle of May and she'd seen some comments online (on Twitter I think) about people recently who has mentioned this. I know they do events sometimes but this seemed to be just on regular days. I don't know much about it and I couldn't see anything on the website.
Justin

Hi RedStar98,

Yes, parts of the Towers are open to guests but their availability (more so this season) can vary due to the current Towers Loving Care project. They were open opening weekend, but on my last visit they were closed for all 4 days I was there, so I would check with Alton Towers social team to see if they are open.

There is no official guided tour, but you can wonder around at your own leisure which I would highly recommend as the ruins are very interesting and spectacular. They often get overlooked by guests which I believe is a shame!
There is a small booklet you can pick up from Towers Trading which covers the history of the Towers and the Earl's family, so it might be worth picking up one of those too. I can't remember how much my copy was but it was no more than £4.
ShadowTD

Has anyone taken any pics of the new Forbidden Valley entrance? Couldn't seem to find them in any of the future topics. If not, a workman had left the gate open on Friday and I've managed to take a few.
MakoMania

ShadowTD wrote:Has anyone taken any pics of the new Forbidden Valley entrance? Couldn't seem to find them in any of the future topics. If not, a workman had left the gate open on Friday and I've managed to take a few.
There are some on Towersstreet's facebook page :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
sss1986

With annual holders and the free parking, how does this work? Do you scan your pass on your way out of the park at the barriers or do you have to get a ticket and then redeem it for you at Guest Services? I usually just stay at a B&B and walk across but coming down for the day tomorrow.
Dan

sss1986 wrote:With annual holders and the free parking, how does this work? Do you scan your pass on your way out of the park at the barriers or do you have to get a ticket and then redeem it for you at Guest Services? I usually just stay at a B&B and walk across but coming down for the day tomorrow.
That's correct.

You either scan your pass at the exit barrier or show it to a member of staff who will manually raise it and let you out.
sss1986

Dan wrote:
sss1986 wrote:With annual holders and the free parking, how does this work? Do you scan your pass on your way out of the park at the barriers or do you have to get a ticket and then redeem it for you at Guest Services? I usually just stay at a B&B and walk across but coming down for the day tomorrow.
That's correct.

You either scan your pass at the exit barrier or show it to a member of staff who will manually raise it and let you out.

Perfect :-) thanks!
JSMarsden

People may not know this yet? But I'm arriving Sunday morning (9am) - booked in the enchanted village (cant check in till 3pm). I'm going to do the tree top course first thing, but then is it possible to walk through the enchanted village to FV, or will We have to walk to the park entrance/walk to the monorail and queue
Justin

I believe the Forbidden Valley entrance is only open to guests to access The Rollercoaster Restaurant in the evenings, therefore you will have to use the Towers Street entrance to access the park.

Depending on what time you access the park, there is the Woodland Walk which is located behind the Alton Towers Hotel. I would advise you to ask Reception as to when it will be manned as it can be hit and miss in the mornings.
JSMarsden

Justin wrote:I believe the Forbidden Valley entrance is only open to guests to access The Rollercoaster Restaurant in the evenings, therefore you will have to use the Towers Street entrance to access the park.

Depending on what time you access the park, there is the Woodland Walk which is located behind the Alton Towers Hotel. I would advise you to ask Reception as to when it will be manned as it can be hit and miss in the mornings.
Thanks for that Justin! I just realized that if I get off the Tree Top Quest at like 10ish, then the monorail and entrance maybe a touch busy at that time! Will definitely ask about the woodland walk into the park, at least it'll drop me near a few rides before others!
Aidan Lowe

A quick question about the DigiPass.

I've seen on Twitter its £30 for the day for unlimited digital downloads, where do you purchase this pass and exactly how does it work. Do you need to go to the photo booth after every ride to scan something and then download images the next day or something?

I'm off tomorrow with my nephew and thought it'd be a nice way to commemorate his trip.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
JSMarsden

Andy Mc wrote:A quick question about the DigiPass.

I've seen on Twitter its £30 for the day for unlimited digital downloads, where do you purchase this pass and exactly how does it work. Do you need to go to the photo booth after every ride to scan something and then download images the next day or something?

I'm off tomorrow with my nephew and thought it'd be a nice way to commemorate his trip.
As far as I'm aware you can buy them either for the day (or the year?) I believe they're from the photobooth and you simply wear wristbands. Then after every ride you go to the photo desk, tell them the #of your photo, then they simply scan your barcode and they'll get uploaded :)
Liam.W

Andy Mc wrote:A quick question about the DigiPass.

So you can buy the digipass at any photo booth, such as ride photos or the main photo place on towers street. You pay £30 (for the day pass) and you get a band that has a unique code on it.

After each ride, you go to the photo collection point and do as you normally would. Just go up, say which photo it is and then say you have a digipass and they will then ask you to scan your band.

Once you are home, you can download the pic solve app, and where it says something along the lines of "enter code here", enter the code found on your band and they will all appear on the app. (Note: it can take up to 24 hours, although mine were there by the time I got home from the park)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

RedStar98

I'm going to Alton Towers tomorrow with some family and i only just noticed they've changed the Ride Access Pass policy. Both me and my cousin have autistic spectrum disorder, and for the last several years we've used the Ride Access Passes to be able to use the rides because both me and him really struggle with the queues because can't cope with being in confined spaces with people for long periods of time or being in loud environments. Before I had that i was not really able to go on anything because i couldnt deal with the long queues. Now it says that I need certain documentation about a specific reason why I can't queue- I don't know how I could get this, and theres no way i could get something like that for tomorrow. All I have is a letter from the health services a few years back saying I have autism, and I assume my cousin is the same. I don't have anything more recent as its a diagnosis that doesn't change. I'm worried I won't be able to go on any rides now, and I only get to go once a year. Why/ when did they change it? Is it the same at Thorpe Park? Thanks to anyone that can answer
craig.day.92

Im going to Alton Towers, I have a merlin pass but my friend doesnt, We plan on doing 2 days there. Does anyone know if they are doing the deal where you can return the next for £8 I think like Thorpe park use to do. Many thanks.
Owen

Yes, you can purchase a bounce back ticket for £10 on the day :)
MakoMania

Owen wrote:Yes, you can purchase a bounce back ticket for £10 on the day :)
£10 for next day, £15 for any day use.

EDIT: Just re read the post above. I had a special moment :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
rosco1982uk

Making the trip to Alton Towers on Monday 23rd May.

Sorry for the monotonous question - but can I assume it will be pretty quiet?

A Monday, in the middle of May, schools are all in (I believe) which really only leaves students finishing up for the year?
JSMarsden

rosco1982uk wrote:Making the trip to Alton Towers on Monday 23rd May.

Sorry for the monotonous question - but can I assume it will be pretty quiet?

A Monday, in the middle of May, schools are all in (I believe) which really only leaves students finishing up for the year?
Hi, I went Sunday and Monday this week (15/16)

On Monday I walked on everything, Galactica may get queues of 40mins still (if you are unlucky) however at about 11am I walked on Nemesis, Galactica, Nemesis, Galactica, both were walk ons (or sometimes a 30 second queue).

Smiler was anywhere between 15mins to 0 mins. Oblivion 5min queue max, Rita and Thirteen were pretty much also walk ons.

The sunday was a touch different, ranging upto 30mins max queue, Nemesis and Oblivion still walk ons.

Monday depends as you are approaching half term for schools, however I don't believe they land on that week so you maybe fine. I would quickly search Staffordshire school term times - but if It was like Yesterday your maximum queues will be 10minutes if you're unlucky! Literally walked onto the smiler through the queue and onto the ride.