Alton Towers Resort - Staff and Recruitment

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RIDECRAZY

Hi everyone,

I have been a member here a while now but rarely post at all, I'm always busy but feel I should get more involved so here's something I'd love the forums advice on...

I'm considering applying for a position at Alton Towers as Ride Host or Ride Operator but would first like some advice. You can read up on it and soak up all the persuading information Alton Towers push at you but none of it really gives me an insight into what a day is like working as a ride op or host?

I love Alton Towers but would love an idea of what you have to do on a day to day basis (i.e wake up times, travel to resort, staff briefing, setting up the ride etc)! I'd also love to know how demanding the job is and what the downsides are, as I can think of many plus sides!

Thanks to anyone on here who can help, I am assuming there are at least a few current or ex-employees of the park? If you take on a different role at the park, feel free to leave a reply too!

Thanks so much! :D
Zach

Well it all depends on what you work on as to when you need to be in, is it on ert, is it late opening, monorail is obviously earliest. An example for a day on the smiler you may get in for 9am, ride testing and get the ride signed over by the tech service team. Briefing it's pretty much what u expect, any news from previous day, any news for that day, any upcoming event. Working a day on the smiler could be physically demanding due to long day and intensity of job, in a day you would usually rotate around the station or working on ride entrance where you are going to be on day is explained in a morning and usually on the rota. I must stress however each ride is completely different say working a day on the smiler can be a lot more demanding than a day on hex. Working at alton towers you are watched 24/7, you are expect to keep a high standard of customer service with a smile even when it gets tough for example working long hours at scarefest and fireworks, also be prepared to take guest abuse as you will get guests who won't like stuff you tell them and you will have to be able to handle it in a calm positive manner but not patronising, like every job it has it's positive and negatives :)
Working as a ride host and ride Op is different, I know most people start as a host and progress to an Op but I do know you can apply to go straight to an Op, suppose it's what you fancy. But if it's your first time I'd say probably best working as a host to ease into it and get a feel for what it's like.
definedancing

Just thought I'd put my two cents in and mention I have an interview/assessment day for a ride host role this month. Thanks SmilerMan for info. Its certainly a difficult job to research though; I've tried doing some preparation but its a struggle.
If you're considering applying RIDECRAZY then I say go for it! I had reservations but I'm really hyped for the assessment day now. Whats the worst that can happen?
Zach

definedancing wrote:Just thought I'd put my two cents in and mention I have an interview/assessment day for a ride host role this month. Thanks SmilerMan for info. Its certainly a difficult job to research though; I've tried doing some preparation but its a struggle.
If you're considering applying RIDECRAZY then I say go for it! I had reservations but I'm really hyped for the assessment day now. Whats the worst that can happen?
Is that this Saturday ?
Last edited by Zach on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
definedancing

Nope, 30th.
Zach

Ahh well good look, keep smiling keep genuine and yourself, best not mention your a theme park enthusiast but make sure you show you have interest in the park and know your stuff :)
definedancing

Thank you. And nah, I'll not mention that I visited 15 times last year, just that I know my stuff. ;)
Shepstreets

Good Morning All

I could do with some assistance please.

I would like to know how many staff tickets each staff member receives each season??

I would like to know this for as many parks that people are aware of.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards
jon18uk

All Merlin staff receive 40 visits, in two sets of 20. These can be used in any Merlin attraction worldwide for either the staff member or their friends (so they could do one trip with 39 friends, or 40 trips on their own).
Shepstreets

That's great help.

Does anyone know of any others??
jon18uk

Shepstreets wrote:That's great help.

Does anyone know of any others??
Half price annual pass vouchers for friends, hotel discount etc.
Tom G

I thought they had a Magic Pass which was unlimited entry?
Zach

Tom G wrote:I thought they had a Magic Pass which was unlimited entry?
No tom, it is only 40 tickets to any merlin attraction, during your time of employment or per year if you are fixed contract staff
Themeparksandy1981

What happens if you leave or get sacked? Can you keep the tickets or do they all become void anyway?
Zach

You cannot keep the card, the card at the end of your employment has to be handed in or you are charged for the full 40 tickets which I believe has a standard charge if you don't return the magic pass card
RIDECRAZY

Thanks for the quick reply guys! Just wondered if you could help with one final thing? What are Alton Towers like with taking holidays? For example a week off in summer for a festival or holiday abroad? Should I inform them of this at the interview or just leave it and apply for holiday when I have the position?
Dan

I'm not sure how Towers work it but as someone who interviews on a regular basis I always ask potential candidates if they have any holiday already booked.

The last thing an employer will want is to offer you a position for you to then turn round and say "I can't work this, this or this"
RIDECRAZY

Thanks Dan, there's reasoning to my trip away too, so hopefully they'll be as considerate as they can! :)
JoshC

When you have your assessment centre you will be given an availability form where you can mark which days on the calendar you are unable to work. Then if you are successful and want to book more holidays at some point in the year, they have an online system where you can request them. :)
JoshC

jon18uk wrote:All Merlin staff receive 40 visits, in two sets of 20. These can be used in any Merlin attraction worldwide for either the staff member or their friends (so they could do one trip with 39 friends, or 40 trips on their own).
Just to clarify, not all Merlin staff receive 40 tickets. Seasonal staff will only get 20, as you need to have worked there for 12 months uninterrupted to receive 40. :)