Alton Towers Resort - Staff and Recruitment

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Zach

definedancing wrote:
TheSmilerMan wrote: I can assure you none of the ride ops on the smiler are as young as 18.
There are 18-year-old ops at Towers, but operator positions aren't just given out like sweets. You have to have at least a years hosting experience, although there are some exceptions, and you almost always start out on a smaller ride, such as the Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land rides, before moving onto the bigger attractions. 18 is the minimum age, so I get annoyed how people are dismissing them as just kids.

Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.
I know there are but ops on smiler I'm aware of none
missingaa

definedancing wrote:Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.
So their training is still fantastic then, and it is still a great place to work, that's great to hear... Thank you.

It did surprise me to read the account on that blog, as it was not my experience of the place at all.
Danny

definedancing wrote:
TheSmilerMan wrote: I can assure you none of the ride ops on the smiler are as young as 18.
There are 18-year-old ops at Towers, but operator positions aren't just given out like sweets. You have to have at least a years hosting experience, although there are some exceptions, and you almost always start out on a smaller ride, such as the Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land rides, before moving onto the bigger attractions. 18 is the minimum age, so I get annoyed how people are dismissing them as just kids.

Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.
Would you say that from the training you were given, you were taught how to deal with an emergency situation whilst working on a ride? As that is what that ex worker claims he was taught nothing of the kind. Do they specifically teach you what to do if there is an accident involving your ride and what you should do to help etc;?
definedancing

You are trained on evacuation procedures and what to do if there is a fire/intruder threat and who to contact. That being said they prepare you for situations that you are somewhat likely to come across; the situation on Tuesday was certainly not one of them, however, the hosts did the right thing by getting people out of the area and letting the professionals deal with the injured.
missingaa

The important thing is that you are training to a high level on how to do your job safely. Obviously the key thing is to make sure that staff know how to avoid things like this accident occurring in the first place. Of course something has gone wrong here, but to blame Alton Towers training methods, is a bit unfair when their record is really good. I would guess that most people who have worked there, and other similar places are likely to tell you the same as I have, that Alton Towers training is far far superior.

Quite what the OP of that blog expects AT to train it's staff in I am unsure. Does he think they should be trained how to cut people from a wreck? How to treat the wounded? By all accounts so far, the staff did their job wonderfully from the point of the accident. Evacuated the area, called first responders, and so on. That is what they are trained to do, that is what they did, I don't see what else could have been done.
Instant Mix

God I'd love to work at Alton, I mean it's a bit of a shame that I currently live 260 miles away from it. The actual hands-on experience would be amazing. Obviously with the whole elephant in the room thing I can't imagine Alton doing fantastically well on the whole "let's bring in people" thing
KoasterKraver

What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

KoasterKraver wrote:What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!
18, as far as I'm aware.
Zach

lewis97 wrote:
KoasterKraver wrote:What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!
18, as far as I'm aware.
The minimum age is 16.
KoasterKraver

Do you have to attend all scare actor auditions or just one on a day that you can make it? Also, what happens in the auditions, anything to bring, what you do there?
KoasterKraver

Please can someone help over DM and give me a bit of info. Thanks.
Aidan Lowe

Unless anyone has spent time doing Scarefest as an actor / attending an audition I hardly see how anyone could help. Your probably best getting in touch with Alton Towers directly.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersjobs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or for basic info visit here.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
KoasterKraver

Andy Mc wrote:Unless anyone has spent time doing Scarefest as an actor / attending an audition I hardly see how anyone could help. Your probably best getting in touch with Alton Towers directly.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersjobs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or for basic info visit here.
Ah I already did... But probably will do again next year
Aidan Lowe

From Monday 16th November the job listings go up for those who are interested.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
definedancing

For anyone applying for ride host I wanted to add that I've loved this season and you probably will too! I am happy to give any advice as long as it doesn't entail information that could potentially get me into trouble; things like interview advice and what looks good etc :).
If you're considering it, do it!
Max

TowersStreet are reporting that up to 190 jobs will be lost at the park over the closed season.
More here https://towersstreet.com/news/2015/alto ... -190-jobs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Stan.H

I think this is the right topic to post this in...

Does Alton Towers do work experience for Year 10's, as I am hoping to do mine their, I'm contacting them nearer the time (I'm in Year 9) as I really really want to do it there!
Master_feedback

Yep its on the bbc as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-34771289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

very sad and upsetting for many on here that may be losing there Jobs :(
Themeparksandy1981

I think it's a bit wrong putting job listings up for the 2016 season when 190 people may lose there job.
Aidan Lowe

Regardless of the redundancies being made they still need to start the employment process for staff next season :) It'll be here before you know it.