Alton Towers Resort - Staff and Recruitment

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

CorkyForever wrote:Does the staff accommodation still exist? I am assuming that this doesn't exist any more because it says they don't have any accommodation on the website but it seemed to only be 2008 where they build/bought some new residences for staff. What's the story with this?
I believe that the Resort no longer provides employee accomodation.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Iuliam

Hello everyone :lol I am a 23 years old student and would like to work at Alton Towers this summer. My question is where do you find accommodation as there is none provided by the employers? I have search on the Internet and closest I found is uttoxeter. Do you have any advice for me or is there any group for house sharing on here? I am new here so if this topic has been discussed already, I apologize. Thanks for any help :)
CJH

Best places to look are: Leek (the transport links ain't great though especially now the staff bus has cut back on operations), Cheadle (easy to get to AT from here), Stoke as there is a bus that goes from Hanley/Stoke.
They used to have accommodation in Leek, which was very much like student accom. I would contact castle estates to see wether they can assist you any further.
marita

My son went for his interview last week. He has been offered a ridemail host spot on Galatica, has anyone else got a position this season fromy Here? He starts in 2 weeks for training.
Aidan Lowe

An article over at IAAPA.org talks with Tea Colaianni, Group Human Resources Director at Merlin Entertainments.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Aidan Lowe

Operations Director at Alton Towers vacancy. Here.

Considering the year just gone it'll be a task & a half with this job no doubt.
As Operations Director, we’ll look to you to head up Operations – one of the largest teams within the Theme Park. Driving outstanding customer service and maintaining high standards of safety and welfare, you’ll manage and motivate the team to deliver safe, interactive and efficient ride and attraction experiences throughout the year. It’s a hugely diverse role, where not only will you oversee Operations in the Theme Park, but you’ll also have full budget responsibility for the team – managing departmental capital projects as required - and in the case of any incidents, we’ll also look to you to take on the role of Incident Director. You’ll have a real impact on our customers’ experience and a tangible impact on the future direction of the business. It’s a big job. And there are real opportunities for worldwide career progression
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Iuliam

hey, has anyone worked as a waiter/waitress at secret garden restaurant? any info about it would be appreciated :)
TRM

Hi,

Does anybody know whether or not Alton Towers will do work experience in something other than retail? The database we use only has retail assistant, but I wondered if it was possible to do something that I would find more interesting.

Cheers,
TRM
Liam.W

Does anyone know anything about being part of the ride maintenance team? This is my dream job but I'm not sure what path to take from leaving school in order to increase my chances.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

S.J_O'Grady

TRM wrote:Hi,

Does anybody know whether or not Alton Towers will do work experience in something other than retail? The database we use only has retail assistant, but I wondered if it was possible to do something that I would find more interesting.

Cheers,
TRM
I did my work experience with park operations, the ride team. I emailed HR and they got back about a month later.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
TRM

S.J_O'Grady wrote:

Cheers,
TRM
I did my work experience with park operations, the ride team. I emailed HR and they got back about a month later.
Thanks for the info, can I ask what that work experience involved?
S.J_O'Grady

TRM wrote:
S.J_O'Grady wrote:

Cheers,
TRM
Thanks for the info, can I ask what that work experience involved?
Well, some of it was checking restraints, but you have another staff member following you and double checking. I did bay loading on Oblivion (which is stressful ;) ) and also did some work on entrance and litter picking
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
TRM

S.J_O'Grady wrote:
Well, some of it was checking restraints, but you have another staff member following you and double checking. I did bay loading on Oblivion (which is stressful ;) ) and also did some work on entrance and litter picking
Okay, thanks. Might look into that then ;)
Stan.H

Not sure if this is the right topic but... I've just fallen in love... http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-10229.jsp :-$
Nickolai

Is getting into Towers Management a case of working your may up and 'shining' compared to others to gain opportunities, or do they look for certain university degrees to obtain a job like that?
Formally Smiler313
Owen

It's a mixture, however I'd recommend looking at this course from Staffordshire University.
Nickolai

Yeah it looks fantastic. When Im older I want to either work in Merlin or in the Film industry because they are my two most favourite things. The best thing to do in life is make your passion your proffesion. My mums not too sure on the course as it is not a full degree but I think its a great thing that Staffordshire University are offering for us bunch. :)
Formally Smiler313
Nickolai

Could someone give a full time job apart from management etc, because Shawn has mentioned that his Job is on the turnstiles however it is full time. What would he do over the winter period?
Formally Smiler313
Liam.W

Smiler313 wrote:Could someone give a full time job apart from management etc, because Shawn has mentioned that his Job is on the turnstiles however it is full time. What would he do over the winter period?
Shawn is admissions team leader so I'm guessing he may interview new applicants and some other stuff like that. He may also muck in with other things going on, such as in the hotels and water park maybe. Best bet is to ask him personally!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Chris
Admin
Admin

A couple of examples of what permanent members of staff in operations will do are:

- Recruitment
- Review and amend relevant procedures
- Cleaning and painting
- Training

Recruitment and training alone takes months to prepare and carry out.