Rides you want to see leave the park.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Benjsh85

I'd like to see more than one ride go. However most of all has to be:

1. The flume.

Ideally replaced by something like http://rcdb.com/3291.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MerlinFan

That would be very cool.
oliverfox

I'd be keen to see Ice Age replaced with a 4D motion ride. The concepts are fairly similar and it keeps the ride indoors, so limits need for extensive planning permission.
Here's a video of the one in Centre for Life in Newcastle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zczxck9pr0

This then allows the theme of the ride to be changed, either seasonally or more frequently to correspond with events within the park (Scarefest, Fireworks etc…)
Adam.W

Benjsh85 wrote:I'd like to see more than one ride go. However most of all has to be:

1. The flume.

Ideally replaced by something like http://rcdb.com/3291.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I really like that idea, it would also fit in with mutiny bay :)
neil&nikki

I think that the flume and rapids both need big overhauls as both seem dated now.

Flume would be be great if you had to escape a pirate attack that way you could have water cannons and blasts going off during the ride.

Rapids just need themed again still got the Africa theme for the que but nothing on the ride
S.J_O'Grady

It was only yesterday when I realised just how bad the Flume is, it needs painting all over, it does not fit in with Mutiny Bay, and most of all its boring. The majority of the ride is just weaving between trees with nothing to look at. Even if they just played some music around the ride it would liven it up!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Luce

It would be nice if the Flume was either refurbished again or perhaps replaced with another similar ride but it could do a bit more when it gets to the wooded area :)
Kleo

I'd like to see Charlie and the Chocolate factory leave. I've been on it twice. Once when it first opened and this year and I really didn't enjoy it both times. I'd like to see something like Toyland Tours make a come back (I know it wont happen :().
Thank You NemesisRider for my signature :)
Adam.W

Kleo wrote:I'd like to see Charlie and the Chocolate factory leave. I've been on it twice. Once when it first opened and this year and I really didn't enjoy it both times. I'd like to see something like Toyland Tours make a come back (I know it wont happen :().
I wouldn't say leave, I believe that the contract ends within a few years, so it's likely it will get a retheme :)
Ryan.B

Doesn't the contract run out at the end of this year for Charlie and the chocolate factory? It opened at the start of 2006 meaning it would have been 10 years in march /April next year, and the contract would have been signed before marketing and construction, so wouldn't it end around November/December? I really can't see them renewing it, it's either a small/up to £10 million re theme or it will be renewed until 2019 meaning 2018 would be the final season, 2019 would be construction for the 'major 2020 addition and we could see a new ride system instead of a boat ride in 2020, possibly an unique/UK first dark ride or what Thorpe are building depending on how successful it is. It's either 2015 or 2018 closure I think (2018 would be the perfect time to close cloud cuckoo land I think. 3 year renewals for Charlie and ice age, they will go, knock down ice age and nickelodeon outta control buildings. Relocate/close toadstool close driving school and wobble world. New dark ride and indoor coaster in 2020, keeping gallopers and new flat ride (dark ride on Charlie site, coaster on ice age, wobble world and Nick outta control site.
Altontowersbarlow

Ryan.B wrote:Doesn't the contract run out at the end of this year for Charlie and the chocolate factory? It opened at the start of 2006 meaning it would have been 10 years in march /April next year, and the contract would have been signed before marketing and construction, so wouldn't it end around November/December? I really can't see them renewing it, it's either a small/up to £10 million re theme or it will be renewed until 2019 meaning 2018 would be the final season, 2019 would be construction for the 'major 2020 addition and we could see a new ride system instead of a boat ride in 2020, possibly an unique/UK first dark ride or what Thorpe are building depending on how successful it is. It's either 2015 or 2018 closure I think (2018 would be the perfect time to close cloud cuckoo land I think. 3 year renewals for Charlie and ice age, they will go, knock down ice age and nickelodeon outta control buildings. Relocate/close toadstool close driving school and wobble world. New dark ride and indoor coaster in 2020, keeping gallopers and new flat ride (dark ride on Charlie site, coaster on ice age, wobble world and Nick outta control site.
I really like this idea and think it would be perfect for Alton Towers to implement.
Stan.H

Would like...

1.) Flume (replaced with mack water ride) and a tradition small log flume
2.) Rita (replaced with a mack mega coaster)
3.) Ripsaw (with a talon style ride)
Thorpegirl123

I think oblivion should go. It never seems to have any queues and I can't say I find it very thrilling.
JaykeAT

Thorpegirl123 wrote:I think oblivion should go. It never seems to have any queues and I can't say I find it very thrilling.
Oblivion wouldn't be "financially viable" to remove, as the hole created for it would cost a lot to fill. I'd also say that the lack of queues is more to do with an amazing throughput then lack of popularity.
Stan.H

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory I hate, for every reason... Queues are too big, TERRIBLE capacity, bad theming, short boat, screens need a clean, the place needs a clean... I could go on...
Liam.W

Thorpegirl123 wrote:I think oblivion should go. It never seems to have any queues and I can't say I find it very thrilling.
How dare you! :yikes:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

S.J_O'Grady

Emporium wrote:Charlie & The Chocolate Factory I hate, for every reason... Queues are too big, TERRIBLE capacity, bad theming, short boat, screens need a clean, the place needs a clean... I could go on...
If it's on a 10 year contract then it's 10 years are up. I doubt they'd renew it to be honest, as they are not giving it any maintenance whatsoever and it's going like Toyland Tours did in its final seasons.

And yes, I agree, the ride is awful!!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Stan.H

^ I was giving reasons for it to go!! :yes:
Whoguru5

Charlie is mine, I loved Toyland tours and while the flume is a close second I think the flume itself is fine just the themeing on it needs to be redone with Charlie it's this weird mix of a boat ride and other things that don't flow right so the sooner they get rid of Charlie and make something new in it's place the better.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
JonDoesTT

There are no rides I 'want' to leave the park, I love them all (well aside from a few), but I think that The Blade should go. It would create so much space in FV, and it's not a great ride. You can tell it's outdated, and it gets to a point when you're riding it just stops being fun.. I feel like I'm gonna get killed by the people who enjoy riding it on the events :lol

Credit to NemesisRider