Rides you want to see leave the park.

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
nemefan08

I will have to say the runaway mine train. As much as like it I can't ignore the fact that there are better options for alton at this time. If you ask me the mine train is starting to look a bit old and worn so why keep it?
Jack

They will keep RMT for years to come, it still draws queues for families and such, it also seemed in great condition when I saw it this week :)
Altontowersbarlow

In my opinion I really think Air should be considered for removal in the near future. I hope my views are not misconstrued as I appreciate that Air is an interesting thrill experience however I believe flying coasters are dwindling in popularity and the site in which Air resides could be ideal for a new major roller coaster at the Alton Towers Resort. I also believe that Alton Towers is unique and aims to provide a quirky yet enchanting atmosphere and I feel that Air is somewhat generic within its storyline, therefore I believe a ride with a better ride experience/ theme would be beneficial.
118hazaman

I think that the park does really need to concentrate on adding rides with an excellent level of theming. They have some amazing rides, but a lot of them lack the theming that makes Alton Towers an 'enchanting' place. I think that Rita should leave the park soon, in return for another launch coaster which has both a better layout and a lot better theming.
jamesc

Rita should be moved to Chessington, would make a great first big coaster for little ones.

Has no scary inversions for the kids, also has low height to fit into Chessington planning permission rules better.

Not too big of a coaster, will not take up to much space, leave room in the Dark Forest at Alton Towers for a better coaster.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
MerlinFan

I really don't think Rita is a great idea for a kid's first big coaster - Vampire and Rattlesnake are much more fitting for that role at Chessington. Rita is in no way slow and although it doesn't have inversions, it's still a pretty rocky ride! That 'hillock' towards the end makes you fly up out of your seat so height restrictions are also a requirement to ensure people can sit properly in the seat restraint. The G Force is pretty high in rollercoaster terms as well - not far off Nemesis! I think Thirteen makes a better option for kids first big coaster... at least they get some good thrilling drops and the drop element at the end is pretty fun.
Adam.W

I'd like to see the flume go. It's jsu so outdated, and not very good. Especially when it just goes around some trees and looks really dull
Stan.H

-AIR-

I think duel should stay, purely for duel live tbh, and I've always had a soft spot for air, I'd love to see an upgraded flume or a new flat in the place of enterprise. It was good back when it was new, but the X-sector is moving on now and it doesn't really fit for me
Ryan.B

If any ride I wanted to leave, I thought I wanted blade to leave, but it's actually one of the three thrill flats on park and I dislike enterprise compared to other rides, plus enterprise has had quite a bit of downtime, so I would like enterprise to go, it can't be replaced, the blade can be replaced with a newer pirate ship in a different area. (Enterprises model is discontinued)
George B

If they're not going to re-theme it, i think Enterprise should leave and hopefully be replaced with a different flat

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
Capt.Barnacles

Ryan.B wrote:If any ride I wanted to leave, I thought I wanted blade to leave, but it's actually one of the three thrill flats on park and I dislike enterprise compared to other rides, plus enterprise has had quite a bit of downtime, so I would like enterprise to go, it can't be replaced, the blade can be replaced with a newer pirate ship in a different area. (Enterprises model is discontinued)
Enterprise was completely replaced with a newer model in 2013 during The Smiler's construction. If anything, it's got quite a while in it before they see a need to replace it. The Blade was confirmed to be operating this year by Alton Towers until further notice, but I have a feeling it will disappear before or at the end of this season to make way for SW8 groundwork/construction to begin.
Stan.H

Dan C wrote:
Ryan.B wrote:If any ride I wanted to leave, I thought I wanted blade to leave, but it's actually one of the three thrill flats on park and I dislike enterprise compared to other rides, plus enterprise has had quite a bit of downtime, so I would like enterprise to go, it can't be replaced, the blade can be replaced with a newer pirate ship in a different area. (Enterprises model is discontinued)
Enterprise was completely replaced with a newer model in 2013 during The Smiler's construction. If anything, it's got quite a while in it before they see a need to replace it. The Blade was confirmed to be operating this year by Alton Towers until further notice, but I have a feeling it will disappear before or at the end of this season to make way for SW8 groundwork/construction to begin.
But, as we have seen all week it has been has some 'technical difficulties'... Hmmmm.
Capt.Barnacles

A ride is not without it's faults and problems. The model being as new as it is, I admit I am a little surprised, but these faults are not anything that will lead to its removal.
Ryan.B

Didn't it break down like this for quite a long time around this point in the last 2 seasons? I know it had a lot of downtime in 2013 or 2014 at one point, not sure which year
Smiffy107

I've always thought they should get rid of the Twirling Toadstool ride, its the equivalent of a fairground ride and makes the park look horrible, I know its more of a family thrill ride BUT saying that I hate going on it and seeing older teenagers thinking it is funny to swing on the ride whilst it is flying around and messing on it :(
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
Adam.W

I believe that Ripsaw and The Blade will be departing at the end of this season/halfway through next season as in their screening with the council (I think) they said that existing attraction(s) will be removed. However, got to admit I can see some new ones coming before then. But, other than that, realistically the flume and sonic spinball will be leaving - they're both earmarked for removal by 2020 in the LTDP.
S.J_O'Grady

My thoughts on this are:
-Air must stay! It's my favourite ride and although it isn't very thrilling, it is unique and I like it. Also, I don't think they would be making any developments with the ride area (FoodLoop Restaurant) if they were planning to remove it any time soon.
-Runaway Mine Train is getting old but I still don't think it will be removed because the park needs a ride like that for first time roller coaster riders.
-The Blade can go, and it will. In fact it was going to be removed earlier in the year but they changed their mind for unknown reasons.
-Ripsaw should be moved to X-sector with a retheme.
-Enterprise is as good as scrap metal for me, it is getting way to old and we need a new, more impressive flat ride.
-The Smiler, I am worried about. I would be devastated if it was removed! I don't even want it rethemed as its current theme is perfect in my opinion.
-The Flume can't really be removed cos every park needs a log flume don't they? It would be good with more of a pirate theme though, it's stuck in the shadows of Merrie England at the moment.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
NemesisRider

The Smiler I would be devastated to see go. Enterprise, whilst it is old, is a much need flat ride and it fits so perfectly in the banked turn of Oblivion, I see no reason for it to go.
thrillseeker

I have to say the flume. There is something Alton Tower lacks and that is a thrilling water ride. It's old fashioned and lacks any modern originality to it. Compared to 'Tidal Wave' at Thorpe Park and 'Stormforce 10' at Drayton Manor, the flume is laughable in comparison to them. I know they have the tree height line rule regarding how high they can build, but AT is well known to go underground with their rides and if they themed something alongside the Mutiny Bay section of the park with a big drop that got everyone wet (I know the UK is well known for its bad weather but still, who doesn't love a good water ride), it would just top off what already is a magical experience.