Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

hursty wrote:
Justin wrote:I'm a little disappointed Gretyl hasn't been added, but still a good sight :)
Very much agree with this, disappointed to not see her feature. Although, she is included in the logo on the hearse graphics.
If she's in the graphics, I guess it's entirely possible that the prop isn't yet ready, but they do intent to add the it to the hearse at a later date... I'd like to think that's the case anyway.

hursty

Robert.W wrote:If she's in the graphics, I guess it's entirely possible that the prop isn't yet ready, but they do intent to add the it to the hearse at a later date... I'd like to think that's the case anyway.
I hope so, it's certainly some feedback I'll pass onto the park. Gretyl will have been in the works for a while, so I was surprised that she was absent.
It might have been the case they rushed the hearse out for the start of the school holidays.

It'll be a shame after introducing a female character to not be on an equal footing with the rest of the characters
Justin

It could be that they add her as a free standing character next to the herse?
Wagstaff04

Found this on Theme Parks UK’s website:
Terror of the Towers is not opening for Scarefest in 2018 – it’s receiving the love and care it needs to get back up to scratch and will return soon
Does this mean that TOTT could return for next year?

Credit: https://www.themeparks-uk.com/alton-towers-guide/news/project-42-scare-maze-at-alton-towers-scarefest-in-2018
ThemeParkEwan

Wagstaff04 wrote:Found this on Theme Parks UK’s website:
Terror of the Towers is not opening for Scarefest in 2018 – it’s receiving the love and care it needs to get back up to scratch and will return soon
Does this mean that TOTT could return for next year?

Credit: https://www.themeparks-uk.com/alton-towers-guide/news/project-42-scare-maze-at-alton-towers-scarefest-in-2018
i mean its a possibility, i think of TOTT was to come back it would need a completely new storyline though. However, i've not seen this on any site so im taking it with a pinch of salt.
Robert.W

This is this is what I saw when the news was first announced. I'd like to think it's true.

Jakethepeg

Hi guys,

I'm a new member but I have been reading along for a number of years. II'm m not too knowledgeable about the mechanics of a ride but I'm all about theming and promo stuff like that I love it, also a big fan of the music production behind rides etc. I absolutely love Alton Towers since I first visited about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, because of the distance, I cant visit as often I would like to and haven't had a visit for about 3 years and I really miss it... anyway back on topic!
This year, me and my friends are visiting on Monday 29th October, so I would like to know if anyone has any indication of how busy it will be, the best deals to get in terms of fastrack and scare mazes? Maybe tips on the most effective journey around the park to get the most out of it? As I say I dont get to go very often, so I need to make the most of it!
DeadJack5

Jakethepeg wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a new member but I have been reading along for a number of years. II'm m not too knowledgeable about the mechanics of a ride but I'm all about theming and promo stuff like that I love it, also a big fan of the music production behind rides etc. I absolutely love Alton Towers since I first visited about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, because of the distance, I cant visit as often I would like to and haven't had a visit for about 3 years and I really miss it... anyway back on topic!
This year, me and my friends are visiting on Monday 29th October, so I would like to know if anyone has any indication of how busy it will be, the best deals to get in terms of fastrack and scare mazes? Maybe tips on the most effective journey around the park to get the most out of it? As I say I dont get to go very often, so I need to make the most of it!
Hi and welcome to the forum!

29th looks to be outside of the school holidays (school holidays being a week before your visit) so I would say queues would be quieter with maybe joining on the night. If you have a merlin annual pass then you can get discount of the combo maze ticket but not on The Welcoming ticket. If you were staying in one of the hotels you may get fastracks in place of ERT not being available. Wicker Man is worth doing at the beginning if it has a small queue and working your way around from The Smiler anti clockwise due to staggered openings possibly being in place, if not then continue on clockwise around the park.

I hope this helps and not missing anything!
Jakethepeg

Thanks. I havent got a MAP as I don't get to go so often, so I'll just by a combi maze ticket and probably miss The Welcoming as it doesn't appeal to me as much as the others.
Justin

If you are interested in theming then I strongly recommend The Welcoming. It is an amazing maze!
Jakethepeg

It just didn't seem all that scary, but yes from what I have seen the theming looks good! I’m mostly excited for Project 42.
Dom

The Welcoming isn't scary at all, but its visually stunning. It is by far AT's more impressive looking maze. It isn't meant to be a scary attraction, more an immersive one and it is worth doing as its such a joy to see the theming in it. If you haven't experienced House of Monsters, than I highly recommend you do it. Its family friendly but its so enjoyable and you will come out with a smile on your face. 
Dan

Speaking of The Welcoming, it appears that MAP discount is available for it this year, which drops the maze price to £6.40.

Source: Alton Towers ticket store
Justin

Excellent news. I do love that maze!
What was the price for mazes last year?
Michelle

Last year's prices were £20 for the combi ticket (£16 after MAP discount) and £8 (no discount available) for The Welcoming I believe, so no change apart from adding the MAP discount to The Welcoming.
Justin

So, overall it is cheaper than last year!
As Tesco would say, every little helps! :lol
adam.murphy

Hey all,

Haven’t been to AT for over 15 years, and no going with the wife and kids!  We're there over Scarefest so really looking forward to it, but I had a few questions...

1.  I assume it’s going to be mega busy?
2.  We're staying on resort, and read that in lieu of early entry we'll get fast passes - what kind of fast passes and for what rides???
3.  How much of Scarefest will be suitable for a 4.5 year old, or a 9 year old?
4. Where is best to eat at Lunch and at Dinner?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
jackf1tz

1. It really depends which day you picked. Half Term is always really busy.
2. If it's the same as when I stayed, you'll get a fastrack for most of the rides on park, and maybe Wicker Man or The Smiler. This can be used once on each ride spread out across the 2 days you are staying on park.
3. The 4.5 year old should enjoy the shows on the Trick or Treat stage, while the 9 year old might like the Alton Ancestors, and possibly House of Monsters.
4. For lunch my personal favourite is Eastern Express, located in both Mutiny Bay and the Forest Feast kiosk in Dark Forest opposite Rita. If you're not a fan, we've found the Explorers Pizza and Pasta Buffet in Katanga Canyon quite good as well. For dinner, it really depends when you're planning on eating and if you want to stay inside the theme park or not. If you don't mind the extra cost, the Rollercoaster Restaurant is worth eating at even just for the experience, but the food can sometimes be a bit hit and miss in some areas. There's also Woodcutter's Bar and Grill just outside Dark Forest which is usually quite high quality and good value. If you mind venturing back to the hotels, the Crooked Spoon in the Enchanted Village is a good bet, as is The Secret Garden restaurant in the Alton Towers Hotel. There's also Flambo's Jambo in Splash Landings Hotel, but it's pretty similar to the Pizza and Pasta Buffet on park. It's also worth noting that if you just want a quick bite and not a full meal there will be vans and kiosks around park serving hot dogs, burgers, donuts and the like.
Hope this helps!
adam.murphy

jackf1tz wrote:1. It really depends which day you picked. Half Term is always really busy.
2. If it's the same as when I stayed, you'll get a fastrack for most of the rides on park, and maybe Wicker Man or The Smiler. This can be used once on each ride spread out across the 2 days you are staying on park.
3. The 4.5 year old should enjoy the shows on the Trick or Treat stage, while the 9 year old might like the Alton Ancestors, and possibly House of Monsters.
4. For lunch my personal favourite is Eastern Express, located in both Mutiny Bay and the Forest Feast kiosk in Dark Forest opposite Rita. If you're not a fan, we've found the Explorers Pizza and Pasta Buffet in Katanga Canyon quite good as well. For dinner, it really depends when you're planning on eating and if you want to stay inside the theme park or not. If you don't mind the extra cost, the Rollercoaster Restaurant is worth eating at even just for the experience, but the food can sometimes be a bit hit and miss in some areas. There's also Woodcutter's Bar and Grill just outside Dark Forest which is usually quite high quality and good value. If you mind venturing back to the hotels, the Crooked Spoon in the Enchanted Village is a good bet, as is The Secret Garden restaurant in the Alton Towers Hotel. There's also Flambo's Jambo in Splash Landings Hotel, but it's pretty similar to the Pizza and Pasta Buffet on park. It's also worth noting that if you just want a quick bite and not a full meal there will be vans and kiosks around park serving hot dogs, burgers, donuts and the like.
Hope this helps!
Super helpful! Thank you :-)
Our days at the park are 30th & 31st
Really looking forward to it now!
Justin

Scarefest is one if the best times at Alton. The atmosphere on park is electric!