Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

I have to say, I think this looks by far the most impressive Scarefest lineup to date. Although Freak Show doesn't seem to be returning, the addition of no less than three new roaming actor locations (Galactica Airways, Ghost Pirates and something else near The Towers), the return of the Alton Ancestors, extra entertainment for families in CBeebies Land and Towers Street, the return of three of last years best mazes, and thats not even mentioning the new maze, Project 42, which looks set to be using the Sub Terra building! I'm pretty impressed. 

Sawboss

Only thing they need to do is make sure the mazes are staffed enough. TOTT was a classic, but my last run the finale seemed much shorter and the conga line was a big handicap compared to the way the other mazes are done. Excited to find out the story behind the new maze, could well be connected to Phalanx.

A bit sad to see Freak Show go, but hopefully the 3 roaming actor areas will spread out that halloween feeling around more of the park.
Dom

I think Scarefest is in for a real shake up this year and i'm quite excited at the prospect of it. I'm super excited about House of Monsters getting extended. Its the highlight of Scarefest for me. It was about time TotT got removed. It got a bit stale and bit boring. I am intrigued by what Project 42 is going to be, but with it being in Forbidden Valley, I think its highly likely to go along similar lines as Nemesis Sub Terra, just without the ride part. I hope The Welcoming and Sub Species get a bit of work as neither was scary last year. Welcoming is a pretty attraction, but that's all it was. Sub was just boring, so work is needed on both. I'm sad to see Freak Show go, but I'm happy that there will be roamers again this year. 
NemeJaney

Let us not forget the significance of the number 42 in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ;) just throwing a wild idea out there for the sake of it :lol
Dan

Further to this afternoons reveal of the Scarefest line-up for the 2018 season, TowersTimes News takes a more comprehensive look at the offering for this years event.
Bert

NemeJaney wrote:Let us not forget the significance of the number 42 in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ;) just throwing a wild idea out there for the sake of it :lol
The number 42 is meant to be the meaning of life.
Just saying.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

Pizzazz wrote:I'm sad to see Freak Show go, but I'm happy that there will be roamers again this year. 
I must admit, I am a little sad to see Freak Show disappear as it always had such a good atmosphere. It is also sad that ToTT has disappeared as it feels like an old friend, but it was getting old!
With regards to this years line up, then I am excited. Obviously, with ToTT going this year, I hope we will see something new in its place next year, or longer mazes. While I am only speculating, it could be the beginning of a refresh for all the mazes in The Towers.
I am most intrigued about Scaremosphere. Galactica Airways sounds very futuristic and chilling. I imagine it will see possessed beings trying to cause havoc with guests in the plaza outside the entrance to Galactica.  Ghost Pirates sounds ok, but with it being in one of the family areas I am expecting it to take a lighter and humorous tone which turns more sinister when the night progresses. The Towers Gothic ruins sound the most intriguing. Hopefully, we will see some action around Fountain Square and the front of the Towers. I can imagine effects being used within the Towers to really make the ruins look haunted.
Robert.W

Justin wrote:It is also sad that ToTT has disappeared as it feels like an old friend, but it was getting old!
I've seen it reported as if they are taking it out of the line up for 2018 while they reimagine the maze for a possible return in 2019. If this happens I can see them having that as a replacement for either Sub Species or Altonville Mine Tours, one of which I don't expect will return in 2019. But yeah, I don't think Terror of The Towers is dead just yet. 

NemeJaney

Bert2theSpark wrote:
NemeJaney wrote:Let us not forget the significance of the number 42 in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ;) just throwing a wild idea out there for the sake of it :lol
The number 42 is meant to be the meaning of life.
Just saying.
That's the one :lol 
Bert

On a serious note though, What is the Galactica Cabin Crew thing is it some new Halloween VR content for Galactica or is it some street performance in Galactica's area?
[Insert Signature Here]
DeadJack5

Most likely just scary galatica staff roaming around the area.
Justin

With the Freaky Four welcoming a fifth member, I wonder if the Hearse will be upgraded to include Gretyl the Witch?
People have been crying out for it for years, but it would be nice to see a little more merchandise too!
Robert.W

Galactica Airways seems like it could be pretty different to what we've see in the past. I imagine it'll be futuristic, kinda robotic costumes etc. Something like that anyway! 

Completely agree with your point about merchandise, Justin. Be nice to see pin badges or something for each scare maze, and maybe small soft toys of the Freaky Five, along with a few other bits and pieces maybe a Scarefest mug or something. Alton do a great job with merchandise, so it's a shame they don't do more seasonal stuff, because no doubt it'd be great, whatever they do!

hursty

Nutty Man wrote:Hi, never been to a scarefest but seen some previous posts talking about Extreme mazes and Alone mazes. What do these mean? Also where was Sub Species Lockdown based?
You should definitely give Scarefest a try one year, Alton do have some great mazes!

Some years Alton Towers offer "extreme" versions of their mazes, as well as occasionally, and more recently Face-it-Alone (Alton Towers) or Brave-it-Alone (Thorpe).
Both of these are based on getting a more intense experience in the maze, with Face-it-Alone seeing you entering the maze by yourself and making yourself the sole focus of the actors' attention, with the extreme also offering a heightened experience, which often more involves more contact/instruction. These have typically run after the mazes close, although, on occasion, before. Tickets are more expensive than the standard prices - typically £15-20 per maze.
The definition of extreme does vary, and has always proved a difficult balance to get right. From scare enthusiasts who seek ever greater intensity, to members of the public who might not be aware of the strength of some attractions/personal limits.
Also important, is how you add intensity within the context of the story, and how you balance scares against what some would see as rough or degrading handling. Alton have typically been much stronger on the need for context, with the increased intensity of the "normal" mazes, with the likes of Sub-species and their corporate family branding, there isn't huge scope to really push much harder.

Extremes do seem be only offered at late notice before the start of Scarefest, normally after much requesting on Twitter for the Resort to offer them. But they are a product that is not always handled well and can either cause issues for guests in being to mild (enthusiasts) or strong (general public).
The Resort has often struggled to convey the offering in marketing and the handling can be problematic.
In previous years the extremes have been pull after leaving a lot of enthusiasts underwhelmed.

When holding our ScareMazing events we have had both normal and high intensity versions of the mazes, but that is dependent on some of the factors above, particularly the increasing strength of the base attractions.

Operation Lockdown was set within the Sub Species maze, as well as an additional themed room, which was where the initial briefings where conducted. The challenges saw you traversing the maze, to specific points where they had been incorporated into the standard maze.
Dom

So reading the Scarefest website, and it could just be I'm reading more than what is actually there but this line: 
Our multi award winning scare mazes have been re-scarified for this year and we are adding another NEW maze to the line up
Does this hint that we could potentially see a few changes to the current mazes? Like I said, I'm probably reading to much into the wording but re-scarified does sound like it.

Also the Scaremosphere section says this: 
  • The Towers Gothic ruins are rumoured to be home to a number of supernatural forces – do you get the feeling somebody’s watching from the windows?
Could this mean actors will be stood in the windows of the towers ruins looking down at people?
hursty

Dom wrote:So reading the Scarefest website, and it could just be i'm reading more than what is actually there but this line: 
Our multi award winning scare mazes have been re-scarified for this year and we are adding another NEW maze to the line up
Does this hint that we could potentially see a few changes to the current mazes? Like i said, i'm probably reading to much into the wording but Re-scarified does sound like it.
"re-scarified" is just an awful, nondescript marketing word, of which I don't think much can be inferred.
Without TToT there'd be more available room, but I'm not sure much would done to the existing mazes in terms of expansion.
It'll be interesting to see the final configuration of Sub-Species. I'm also really hopeful that they can finally nail the Mine Tours finale.
Dom wrote: Also the Scaremosphere section says this: 
  • The Towers Gothic ruins are rumoured to be home to a number of supernatural forces – do you get the feeling somebody’s watching from the windows?
Could this mean actors will be stood in the windows of the towers ruins looking down at people?
I would have guessed more at using projection/screens on the windows in the towers, of ghostly figures drifting and dancing - with actors mostly down at ground level.
Swarm Chris

Re-scaryfy does suggest something has changed. But that could be marketing speak for a new coat of paint through to new scenes. But seeing as they started earlier than people expected, could be they're trying some new things out rather than relying on previous plans.

Don't know about the actors in the windows. Maybe they got a bulk order of those mannequins seen at Sub-Terra? :lol
Dom

It's not impossible as the break rooms for the three mazes last year were upstairs in the towers ruin, and the Sub actors used to stand at the windows and stare at guests, just to freak them out. All you would need is two/three people to wander around going to random windows at different times. It will probably just be mannequins or projection mapping, but one can wish.
Justin

At the moment, I am thinking along the same lines as you Dom. I think we will see actors from the window, along with some mannequins. Hopefully it becomes a chilling show, mixed in with special effects!
Swarm Chris

Dom wrote:...the Sub actors used to stand at the windows and stare at guests, just to freak them out.
That's brilliant! Even when resting, they're still completely in the spirit of the event.

In that case the statement could also be a nod to this happening in previous years and they'll encourage it a bit more this year.