Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Swarm Chris

Escape rooms are becoming one of Merlin's product interests, especially in the Midway offerings, so I can see them appearing at resort attractions as well if they do well elsewhere. Whilst I don't think Project 42 will be one, having one at that end of the park capable of also providing evening entertainment is a reasonable possibility in the future.
Justin

I've just read back over a few of the pages on this thread, but there was a comment made about why Project 42 wasn't the upcharge attraction. I'm surprised they didn't go with that as having The Welcoming, Sub Species and Mine Tours would have been a better combo. This would then allow Alton to sell tickets in Forbidden Valley.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe the reason The Welcoming is separately ticketed is due to its later opening time of 5.30pm. The other three mazes all open at 1pm.
Justin

While that may be true, there is nothing stopping them opening the maze earlier, if they were to include it!
Robert.W

It wouldn't be dark enough though.

Justin

It isn't dark at 5.30pm :lol
Justin

Excuse the double post but I was just searching online and found these images of the Towers from 2007 on the now defunct TowersNerd site.

It does make me wonder if a similar effect will be used for the Towers Ruins Projection, especially with them using the line "Do you get the feeling somebody’s watching from the windows?"
Zach

Robert.W wrote:It wouldn't be dark enough though.
By the time we come to the end of Scarefest, 28th October onwards, the sun will be setting from 16:30 onwards so it will certainly be dark enough by then. And from the start of scarefest the sun tends to set from 18:45 so we’d only be looking at one hour of operation where it wouldn’t be “dark enough” however in October the days are never bright and sunny anyway so I think this well estimated and researched a good time to open an open air attraction. 
Nynaeve

Really looking forward to Scarefest and experiencing the two new mazes (wasn't there last year so haven't yet experienced The Welcoming) as well as doing Sub Species and Altonville Mine Tours again.  Only got to do Terror of the Towers once (in 2016) was a wee bit disappointed with it compared to the other two mazes that year but would have been interested to try it again to see if we just had a bad run through.
Intrigued by Project 42, anyone know if it has been confirmed what the 'story' for this maze is yet?
Morgan

The only thing we know is the location. I find it interesting that we still know nothing, considering it was teased well over a month ago (especially when Welcoming was revealed a week after it's teaser).
MakoMania

Mini update from Wednesday:

https://youtu.be/5m9NcS5Iozc
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on TowersTimes Facebook, further details have emerged for Project 42:

Situated in Forbidden Valley, valiant volunteers will be invited to enter the underground Phalanx compound in a bid to outwit what awaits them inside. They will then need to find a vaccination for the escaped human test subjects, which have been infected by a mutant antidote, using every shred of courage and determination to get in and out without contracting the infection.
Dom

Very Sub Species like seems to be the general consensus on this on social media but I want to think Towers wouldn't be silly in putting a similar attraction in. My THEORY is that Sub was set up earlier than usual so it could be revamped in  some way to give it a different theme, but still very similar to the original.
Sawboss

The way of social media is to find the most cynical train of thought and board it without a moments thought, seeing the phrase 'infected by a mutant antidote' and concluding it will be the same as Sub Species. To me, the alien infection part of Sub Species never came through at all in the actual maze, the inhabitants seeming to be a bunch of post apocalyptic crazies à la Mad Max. There's a lot they could do with a military base where a mutated pathogen has escaped containment.
Justin

I must agree. Sub Species has more of a Max Max and Blade Runner feel, but it is a maze that I really enjoy.

I'm going to wait and see what comes of Project 42 as we only have limited information. I can't wait to experience it for the first time. A new maze the first time round is a brilliant experience!!
nicky.borrill

Not been to scarefest for a while... What are the quietest days / nights to go? Midweek during half term, or the weekends leading up?
DeadJack5

I think the earliest time is best.

I went the first Sunday of the scarefest event and it was extremely quiet
nicky.borrill

DeadJack5 wrote:I think the earliest time is best.

I went the first Sunday of the scarefest event and it was extremely quiet
Awesome, Thankyou 
ROYJESS

Beware of visiting on a Sunday during the first week or two, especially when the Uttoxeter racing is on = Alcohol ban and high police presence ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Alton Towers Holidays website has been updated with Scarefest details. There doesn't appear to be anything of note in relation to the theme park offering, but there is some insight into the seasonal entertainment in the Alton Towers Hotel and Splash Landings Hotel:

Alton Towers Hotel:
Enjoy a host of spooktacular Halloween entertainment, including The Magical Mayhem Show, full of twisted tales, spooky tricks & treats, and The Freaky Funk Squad Remixed, who are bringing their mixture of Rock & Roll to the Alton Towers Hotel.
Splash Landings Hotel:
Head to Patch's Pumpkin Pad for a night of children's entertainment, including The Magical Mayhem Show and Patch's Pumpkin Party. Then The Freaky Funk Squad's 'Dia De Meurtos' Show is the perfect place to dance the night away.
The terms and conditions on the sub-pages also confirm this year's arrangements for hotel guests regarding the alternative to Early Ride Time:
There will be no Early Ride Time during Scarefest.

Instead, guests staying in the Alton Towers Hotel, Splash Landings Hotel or the Enchanted Village will get one fastrack ride on Nemesis, Oblivion, Runaway Mine Train OR Duel.

Or, guests staying in the CBeebies Land Hotel will get fastrack on 3 rides which can be used at any time during the day. The choice is from the following; 1 ride on either Justin's House or In the Night Garden, 1 ride on either Postman Pat or Go Jetters and 1 ride on Numtums.
I believe hotel guests got a time-limited Fastrack for all four of the listed (non-CBeebies Land) attractions in previous year, so it seems there has been a further reduction in the offering there.