Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

Alton ran 'Extreme mazes' which saw a more concentrated and physical element on the standard mazes. You had to be over 18 to enter and sign a disclaimer.
Lockdown was an extended scare which ran into the early morning and was based in Sub Species. It used additional rooms off the maze and only ran for a year.
Nutty Man

Thanks!
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
TibBo

Do they tend to do anything special in the CBeebies hotel for Scarefest?
Robert.W

To be honest, I wouldn't know. I think they have some decorations around both Splash Landings and Alton Towers Hotel. Possibly some form of Halloween entertainment in those hotels too. I'm not really sure about the CBeebies Land Hotel or Enchanted Village.

TibBo

Yeah, they definitely have the pumpkin men around Splash Landings and stuff, and the entertainment on the evening has a bit more of a spooky theme, but I've never been in CBeebies hotel, so didn't know whether they put any extra effort in for the event?
Dan

I’m not sure there’s much they can do with the CBeebies Land Hotel, due to the licensing restrictions imposed by the BBC.

I’m not sure whether anything is done with CBeebies Land itself over Scarefest, I can’t say I’ve ever seen any changes.
Justin

I just had a look at last years' Scarefest page and I couldn't see any entertainment listed for CBeebies.
Dan is right in what he said though, I don't think anything was changed and celebrations were confined to ATH and Splash Landings :)
LittleReidy

Does anyone know if they are selling the return next day for £10 during Scarefest? (long shot as I’m sure I heard they had removed this completely)
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
Robert.W

I'd heard that it'd been removed as well. I think it's very unlikely that it'll return to be honest. 

Dan

As reported by TowersTimes Facebook; Alton Towers have confirmed the first details for Scarefest 2018, with the Resort confirming the return of Sub-Species: The End Games, Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers and The Welcoming - Be Chosen, as well as a brand new scare maze for 2018; Project 42.

For younger guests, CBeebies Big Fun Showtime hosts their first CBeebies Land Monsters Ball, along with the return of an extended House of Monsters.
This year also sees the introduction of Gretyl the Witch, alongside Phil, Franklin, Skelvin and Patch in a range of new entertainment.

Tickets for this years spooktacular event go on sale later today.
JC13

I don’t know what to say about this, i’m honestly really disappointed TOTT is going, as it was my first scare maze and is special to me, but i’m also looking forward to Project 42. Not suprised the other mazes are coming back. I’m willing to bet that Project 42 is in Sub Terra’s building.
Morgan

Wow, was certain it was another year of minor changes but Terror is GONE and a new maze? Dammit they've surprised us yet again :lol Now to destroy my wallet on tickets...
O_Butler

Very shocked but excited at this news to be honest. I really didn’t expect The Welcoming to return, will it be located in the Towers this year maybe? Or will Altonville or Sub Species have an extension to take up the space of ToTT? This is assuming that Project 42 is located at Sub Terra.

In relation to ToTT presumably going, it shouldn’t come as a shock to many. It’s been here since the start and in the last few years has become stale and either needed a compete revamp or replacing. It’s certainly sad as I felt it was the heart and soul of Scarefest at times.
ThemeParkEwan

The name "Project 42" reminds me of Experiment 10 at Thorpe Park. If it's anything similar to it then Towers may be on to a winner here!
JC13

Looking on the website, it looks like actors now will only touch you in Sub Species, as it mentions being touched by actors, and doesn’t mention it for Mine Tours or Welcoming. This could be wrong though, and who knows about Project 42.
jordanc14

It says on the website
Take on...
  • Over 50 rides and attractions open until 9pm
  • Project 42 (Located in Forbidden Valley)
  • Sub Species: The End Games (Located in The Towers)
  • Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers (Located in The Towers)
when you go to buy tickets. I suppose that confirms use of the Sub Terra building then.
ROYJESS

I can't believe that TOTT has gone, on the bright side, hopefully no more hands on the person in front.  Looks like the scare zones have gone too
Swarm Chris

jordanc14 wrote:It says on the website
Take on...
  • Over 50 rides and attractions open until 9pm
  • Project 42 (Located in Forbidden Valley)
  • Sub Species: The End Games (Located in The Towers)
  • Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers (Located in The Towers)
when you go to buy tickets. I suppose that confirms use of the Sub Terra building then.
Nice spot! :)

Maybe we should have a sweepstakes now as to whether the drop-towers still exist in the building.
Dan

ROYJESS wrote:Looks like the scare zones have gone too
That does appear to be the case, although it seems they’ve been replaced by what presumably are roaming actors in the following locations:
-Galactica Airways - Meet the AI air cabin crew of Galactica airways, always at your service whether you like it or not.

-Ghost Pirates - This motley crew of pirate wash-ups have followed the sound of the siren all the way to Mutiny Bay.

-The Towers Gothic ruins are rumoured to be home to a number of supernatural forces – do you get the feeling somebody’s watching from the windows?
The Scarefest page on the website has been updated with information on this years scare maze tickets, which are now available to purchase.

Project 42, Sub Species: The End Games and Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers form the ‘Scare Maze Combi Ticket’ which is priced at £20 per person (Annual Pass discount is available), and The Welcoming: Be Chosen is individually priced at £8, while House of Monsters is priced at £5.

There is also a One Day Admission & 3 Scare Mazes ticket available which is priced at £50 when purchased online, a saving of £25 versus the on the day price.
O_Butler

Still don’t see how Alton can justify £58 for Park entry and Mazes for those without MAPs, but people will still pay it I suppose. The Welcoming was good last year but not worth an up charge fee at all sadly. If anything I thought Project 42 might have been the up charge attraction this year.

Interesting to see what happens with all the space leftover from TOT though, I hope that Sub Species somehow incorporates some of the areas in the towers that was used by TOT so make it slightly longer as it can turn out to be quite a short maze.

Also will be interesting to see how timings work now with the 3rd maze being a fair walk away from the Towers.