Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jcoaster

ok thank you very much
Owen

To be fair I wouldn’t be so sure, it’s always best to book ASAP (definitely book Welcoming online, you can do that here) however I managed to get a ticket into Mine Tours 5 minutes before the time slot!

Whilst this is probably due to it being the first weekend it was extraordinary how few people were doing the mazes!
hursty

There has been some suggestions that MAP discount is available on the day
Also there is normally a quota held back to sell on the day - so make your way to box office on arrival!

Obviously to guarantee entry/time book online, but you may pay more.
If doing The Welcoming it's worth waiting for dark (7pm+)
Jcoaster

Hi guys, I was just wondering if towers enforce the 15+ rule? my friend's 14 but he'll be 15 in December and we were just wondering how strictly they enforce this rule as it'd be a shame for him to miss out when he's only too young by like a couple of months.
Adam.W

Jcoaster wrote:Hi guys, I was just wondering if towers enforce the 15+ rule? my friend's 14 but he'll be 15 in December and we were just wondering how strictly they enforce this rule as it'd be a shame for him to miss out when he's only too young by like a couple of months.
To be honest, it's probably a lot easier for your friend just to say that he's 15 if he's asked, especially considering he's only a couple of months short of 15. It just saves a lot of hassle if it does turn out that they're quite strict about it. I know it doesn't really answer your question, but that's what I've got to say really.
Owen

They will not let you enter if you admit to being under 15. They will immediately ask you to leave the maze - I know this after seeing it happen last weekend. :)
Bexa

If buying tickets at the door (I have a 2 for 1) How early would you recommend getting to the park?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
Jcoaster

Bexa wrote:If buying tickets at the door (I have a 2 for 1) How early would you recommend getting to the park?
early enough that you'll be one of the first in, possibly aim to get there half an hour(ish) before opening so you have time to park and get to the entrance, but really aim to be the first into the park hope this helps
Ryan.B

Scaremazes were great today, highlight has to be sub species completely alone pretty much, most scares came in there, about 2 big jumps in Altonville Mine Tours, the best for theming and story in my opinion. The biggest scare for me came in Terror Of The Towers, which was probably up there with sub species today. Best I've seen it in the last three years, maybe because I was leading the group? Also, where the strobes are with the mesh fence, I dragged the whole group into an actor area somehow. :lol was a great event this year, can't wait for the return but maybe a bit more light wouldn't go amiss by the steps at the start of ToTT.
Owen

Bexa wrote:If buying tickets at the door (I have a 2 for 1) How early would you recommend getting to the park?
It depends how you want to do it. If you want to do mazes earlier is advised but not necessary. So long as you’re expecting a bit of a queue for the ticket purchases and for the maze tickets you’ll be fine. Remember the park is open for 11 hours and things generally pick up in the evening!
EvilZombie

Hi guys, am a scarefest veteran, have been every year since the cornfield days, however I suffer on and off with claustrophobia. Last year there was a crawling through a tunnel part in sub species I think which I wasn’t keen on, basically because I got it into my head that there was dead ends and people getting stuck and having to turn around. Now the rational part of me knows for health and safety reasons that there can only realistically be one way in and one way out. But it’s got me contemplating not going. I can handle a tight space if I know I can keep my head down and just soldier through it, but the thought of being stuck just cripples me. What are you guys experiences regarding this this year?
Ladyofthelake

Hi :)
This year Sub Species has two possible endings, each of which is different.
Spoiler
The first ending (going through the left side of the bridge at the end of the dark section) is the ending featuring the crawl tunnel. You can do the short version of the tunnel if you get this ending - just keep crawling straight and don't turn right down the other tunnel. The second ending which is when you go down the right side of the bridge does not feature a tunnel at all so you'll be fine in this ending :)
The actors will want to keep the flow of guests through the maze so you shouldn't have to spend long in a tunnel at all. Hope that helps :)
EvilZombie

Ok so keep right after a bridge, but if I do end up in a tunnel, don’t turn right lol. Do any of the other mazes have crawly tunnel bits?
kyb

Does anyone know if the traveler day has happened? I’m going on the 21st and hoping it’s not then!
Justin

Yes, the travelling community visited yesterday.

TTSP will be in attendance on Saturday, so say hello if you see us!
S.J_O'Grady

Would someone who's experienced Sub Species this year explain what happens in the new ending? (In a spoiler tag)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
DeadJack5

Seeing as I did a review of FN, I thought I would review my visit and the 4 main mazes. The day was just like any other scarefest visit. Lighting was much better and apparent this weekend compared to the last. This visit did include the traveling community and as many of you have stated, it wasn't the best. Most rides were up throughout the day with high queues which is encouraging but again this maybe a result of the travellers. Anyways. On with the Maze reviews

Again these will contain spoilers
Spoiler
Terror of the Towers:

Felt like a good starter maze. Conga style moving at the pace set ahead. I was even at the back and didn't feel too exposed. Actors can't touch and gives you the solid feel of a scare maze like what Saw: Alive is. Generally an ok maze, nothing too frightening.

Altonville Mine Tours:

I thought this Maze was pretty good, nothing to spectacular but overall good. Really enjoyed the helmets with the sequence lighting strobes, very tight cornering and scare opportunities. But overall felt it was a bit quiet and then the ending was kind of sudden, no real build up and to me seems very similar to what Platform 15 is like. But again, I enjoyed the Maze for its tech used and the story as it's an interesting concept.

Sub-species: The End Games:

So this was the Maze I was dreading the most from the reviews of previous years, I can say I did enjoy this maze a lot compared to the others so far but it is nothing on par with Thorpe Park. Some good scares, tight spaces and great alternative routes, I was forced into door 2 on my own completely from the start and that initial moment of being alone was very intimidating. It was a great maze and enjoyed it especially for its re-run ability.

The Welcoming:

This had to be my favorite maze, it's a weird one, it wasn't the scariest or most frightening, but it kept me engaged and always looking everywhere. The theming, actors, set pieces, lighting. Everything in there was the things which I enjoy most about mazes and I did enjoy it enough to go twice.The hood section was good with genuinely tense moments as the rest of the crowd grow silent, you never know at times if you're in a group or alone. Favorite maze of the bunch but still not as great as Thorpe Park.

One thing I will say that is needed in the first 3 mazes is that I feel it needed a bit more lighting inside. It may just be me but I know it's suppose to be disorientating and not knowing where you're suppose to go but at least add lights to show especially in the 2 free flow mazes where different routes lie. It may just be me but I felt it could make it easier and you could at least admire the theming that has been added inside the mazes.
Overall scarefest was good this year. The atmosphere I loved about the park was back with the lights and theming throughout. Sw8 looks great in the dark and if you're lucky you can even catch The Welcoming running if you get on the skyride before sunset. It was very fun to watch passing over! Another good year, cannot comment on previous maze years as this is my first year with maze runs.
dave.mallinson

Hi All, I am experiencing Scarefest and all the mazes for the 1st time this year. As my friends and family are too scared :P or too busy to attend with me I shall be experiencing Scarefest alone on the 28th October. I hope to have a great time. 
JonDoesTT

Justin wrote:Yes, the travelling community visited yesterday.

TTSP will be in attendance on Saturday, so say hello if you see us!
I think they were there Saturday too, I saw pictures of the do's & don't's sign outside the entrance saying they weren't selling alcohol. Hopefully they aren't there this Saturday. Shouldn't be, but they were there more than a couple of times last year from what I remember.

Credit to NemesisRider
Stan.H

Although I'm not attending SMN this weekend, I'm at scarefest this Saturday anyway, so if you see me be sure to say hi!