Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Liam.W

Work has now started on The Welcoming!

Photo credit Theme Park Worldwide
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

Unlike SW8 I hope they are able to quickly cover stuff up to avoid potential spoilers.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

I'm sure they'll cover it up before placing any interior objects in.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Teammaddiz

Liam.W wrote:Work has now started on The Welcoming!

Photo credit Theme Park Worldwide
Taken just after 9AM today (31/8/17) with all of the panelling still stored under the shelter ready to be put up. Impressive to see what they had managed to get done just a few hours later with a large proportion (or all of?) the maze being laid out. Could we perhaps see rapid construction on the maze over the next coming days or is this generally how quickly the layout of a maze is constructed?
NemeJaney

Impressive of them to fly it up so quickly. Probably difficult to have 2 ongoing major constructions in the same kind of area and keep our eyes away from it all. Maybe they could use the maze to actively distract from the SW8 construction site somehow :lol
Justin

1000th post!

Interesting to see the construction of 'The Welcoming'. I do wonder if it will have an outdoor theme with a similar feel to 'I'm a Celebrity', especially with the later opening time. I can see the central section becoming more of a cabin and the climax to the maze!
Ladyofthelake

With The Welcoming: Be Chosen being constructed in Mutiny Bay Courtyard, one thing I am wondering is if we are only going to be seeing this maze for one season. With the new F&B outlet being constructed for next year surely this means that The Welcoming will not be able to go in the same location for next year. 
Justin

I thought the same, Lakey.
Justin:
If that is the location then you are very likely to enter from Towers Street side and exit opposite the SW8 site. The location may also indicate that The Welcoming: Be Chosen will only be open for one year due to the redevelopment of The Courtyard. There is nothing of course stopping them moving it in 2018 though.
Robert.W

Perhaps they might build it so it is compatible with the new design of the courtyard. 

MakoMania

Feel free to use, I took it at about 1:30pm today.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Count-Vonduel

In that last picture, zoom in on the very top of the pirate stage (above the skull) see the weird wicker, dream catcher type things?

That's a bit interesting sure, but I'm more interested in the supports holding them up.
Especially the large gap in between the dream catcher things!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Those did catch my eye before, but I couldn't figure out what they were. However, now that you've mentioned them, it's pretty clear they are the runic symbols for 'S' and '8' respectively, and in the following image posted by TowersStreet you can see what looks to be the symbol for 'W' added in between them. I guess this suggests the stage may be used in some way for the maze.

Count-Vonduel

I'm not that well versed on mazes, think it looks quite short?
Justin

Would they really use the stage area as part of the route, or will it just be the skull lit up with it being visible from inside the maze?
Aidan Lowe

Justin wrote:Would they really use the stage area as part of the route, or will it just be the skull lit up with it being visible from inside the maze?
With it being called The Welcoming: Be Chosen I'd probably wager an actor will be on stage where the group congregates to perhaps listen to some story thing or w/e.
DeadJack5

Aidan Lowe wrote:
Justin wrote:Would they really use the stage area as part of the route, or will it just be the skull lit up with it being visible from inside the maze?
With it being called The Welcoming: Be Chosen I'd probably wager an actor will be on stage where the group congregates to perhaps listen to some story thing or w/e.
Yeah i could probably see it maybe being a preshow scene? It's looking very exciting and promising so far
Justin

Aidan Lowe wrote:
Very Dungeons. On that note, I'd love to see an all year round Alton Dungeons but that is a discussion for another thread!
Lotty

Just wondering if anyone else can help me on this. I've noticed when booking the scaremaze tickets. It stipulates you must complete all three mazes within two hours. In the past it has always been 45 minutes hasn't it? Just wondering whether this is a error or whether they've done this so people don't feel rushed any more.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
Aidan Lowe

I've never found it achievable to do all mazes within 45 minutes unless you queue prior to them opening and do them early on while its still light. 2 hours for the 3-4 mazes is probably about right.
Owen

Some more information has came out about The Welcoming...

Alton Towers wrote:The woods surrounding the village of Alton harbor a mysterious group, which until recent sightings were unseen by the modern world. Whispers around the village say that the group are angered by people abusing the world’s natural resources and the rapid advance of technology. Every year the secluded group host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween – paying homage to the earth and celebrating the crossover between the living world and the dead. The group have recently infiltrated the Alton Towers Resort and for the first time are allowing outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation?