Scarefest - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

The queues close at 9 the park closes whenever the queues are all down to 0
I know that Dan. That's what I was referring to when I said 9pm, as that is the advertised time of the park closing, but we all know that it's queuelines that close at that time not the actual park :)
Burniel

Dan.N wrote:
The queues close at 9 the park closes whenever the queues are all down to 0
I know that Dan. That's what I was referring to when I said 9pm, as that is the advertised time of the park closing, but we all know that it's queuelines that close at that time not the actual park :)
I know what you meant I was just saying that might be what caused the confusion :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
awsomelycoolboy

No... 2013 scarefest the park was open to 10.. So yeah. :P the queues closed at 9 I got on a The Smiler. When we got off it was 20 past 9 then we did some squealing around the park, went into corner coffee and had a hot chocolate, then went to towers trading where I bought my smiler hoodie. Once I had done all that it was about 10 ? We wer in no rush since we were staying at the hotel. So it was all good.
Last edited by awsomelycoolboy on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

awsomelycoolboy wrote:No... 2013 scarefest the park was open to 10.. So yeah. :P
Scarefest 2013 was supposedly open until 9, whether they for some reason extended it on your visit is another matter, but it was 9PM officially.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

During Scarefest the park closed at 9pm, as advertised on the website. This means all of the rides queues will shut at 9pm. The park itself usually stays open for up to another hour and a half to get people out and spending money in the shops. The opening time was never extended on your visit, and is a normal thing that is done throughout the whole season.
Count-Vonduel

Hello it is mid spring so its time for me to start yapping on about Scarefest.
I have recently discovered possible opening times for this years Scarefest. I was looking at the 2014 opening times on the AT website when I noticed that it said that the park closed at 9pm from the 18th of October to the 2nd of November.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Yes, those are the dates for the 2014 Scarefest. They are explicitly highlighted as the dates on the 2014 park map.
KoasterKraver

Plus it says that the park will be open till 9, non of last years 7 rumour :lol
RCandrew

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of going to AT for 2 nights this scarefest as I'll have a car by then to drive us (I live in Edinburgh :cry: ) and I've only been in summer twice before! I was just wondering, generally, what's it like :)? what are the best parts? Best things to do? Anything we have to do that we wouldn't usually? How big do queues usually get etc etc :) thanks! :D
stealthsmiler

1)The atmosphere is amazing.
2) Ive only ever done Terror of Towers maze, but that was quite good.
3) The rides in the dark are a completely different sensation.
4)Queues for the mazes get quite big, but I'm not really sure about the rides. Smiler will probably be huge.
Dom

Scarefest is the best time to visit AT in my opinion. You get longer in the park, rides in dark, the mazes and the atmosphere is just incredible. Scarefest is one of the busiest times but luckily the queues don't get ridiculously long for the rides. This can not be said for the mazes though. Sometimes the mazes can have a ridiculous queue time, especially if its a free maze. The rides in the dark are probably my favourite thing. Flying round on Nemesis and Air in the dark is just incredible. Also Congo River Rapids in the dark is fun :) The atmosphere is weird to explain. It just buzzes.
RCandrew

Thanks guys :D I really wanna go to ride stuff in the dark too haha, I imagine all the rollercoasters would bee good! Especially thirteen, nemesis and the smiler :D
stealthsmiler

Strangely, The RMT is one of my faves in the dark.
Zach

I kjnow they don't normally but due to thorpe announcing parts of there line up for 2014 early any one think it's possible alton could follow ?
Alton13Nemesis

TheSmilerMan wrote:I kjnow they don't normally but due to thorpe announcing parts of there line up for 2014 early any one think it's possible alton could follow ?
Yes, I think this is entirely possible. I see carnival of screams returning, along with sanctuary, because even though sanctuary was crap, it had high appeal from the general public. I can see terror of the towers being rethemed or replaced after last yer, but with it being the flagship maze, will it actually be rethemed?
SmilerLover

I see carnival of screams returning, along with sanctuary, because even though sanctuary was crap, it had high appeal from the general public.
I agree about the sanctuary, not because of the public appeal though. I think it will come back because it will tie in with the smiler.
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Alton13Nemesis

SmilerLover wrote:
I see carnival of screams returning, along with sanctuary, because even though sanctuary was crap, it had high appeal from the general public.
I agree about the sanctuary, not because of the public appeal though. I think it will come back because it will tie in with the smiler.
Yeah, as long as the smiler is still big thing at the resort I think we will see the sanctuary return to carry along the story, it drastically needs a rebuild though, it really was awful last year.
dollyry

I liked The Sanctuary though it does strike me as a bit of a work in progress that may be fully realised this year. There's one part in particular that needs some work, the transition from upstairs to 'the depths.'

Now, I'm aware there's not any scares they can really add here given you are going down two flights of stairs (safety issues) but it does stick out as a bit of an odd part. Twice last year I was in a group where the leader tried to go straight by the stairs into what I presume is a door for the actors (okay I admit one of those times the leader was me! I may have also led my group into a corner of the morgue ha!) The problem was exacerbated during the Extreme run throughs when at least one member of the group would have to go down the stairs alone (me again, I got so flustered and confused that one of the non actor AT employees tried to discreetly check I was okay as I was halfway down the stairs.) It seems a bit dead space in terms of themeing and does take you out of the experience for a few minutes.

Another part is a bit of a weird one in that I can't remember exactly where it is. I think it's after the ward. There's a corridor with the portraits and a hole in the wall which seems almost like a check in desk... Every time I expected someone to be there or pop up at it but no one ever did. I wonder if it's intentionally meant to set you on edge for a scare that never comes.

I don't think Carnival will go this year. I think money will be put into re themeing TOTT and improvements to The Sanctuary. I really hope for a re theme of TOTT as I thought it was good last year but not very coherent. It really was just actors chasing you about the whole time.
jackgcse

If we can just have a version of Field of a Thousand screams back, that will be great...thanks!
But in all honesty they could have 'Forest of a thousand screams' haha...Or something like that if they wanted it in park.

In all honesty I would rather see them invest in the whole park for Fright Nights with proper lighting, audio and theme rather than a very expensive new maze...think of the Long Term Benefits, big hit this year, but will serve for at least 3-4 years.

If this was Thorpe Park they would use the patch of Submission grass and put a Marquee down and have a Horror maze using the old Submission Queue line! haha. In reality I would rather money just goes into the whole Experience, and market the mazes they currently have, or if they were just bring back one of the old mazes in some form or another, Bring Back the Boiler House where COS was.
Alton13Nemesis

I think I heard carnie was going this year anyway, how irritating.