Is the Dark Forest meant to look bad?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sentri558

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the place as much as the next guy... But I think the next guy is asking why scaffolding is everywhere. The only truly atmospheric part is the Thirteen ride queue. You got your scarecrow. You got your Tesla coil. Gotcha music. Bam.

Last time I went was in early August so maybe they've cleaned it up since then, but idk if that's the case :(

Forbidden Valley has it's Alien thingy's.
X-sector has it's Government project do-dah's.
Tower Street has it's music.
Katanga Kanyon (I think it's a 'k' on Canyon) has it's water.
The Pirate place (Don't kill me plz) Mutineer's bay (I hope) has... Well, pirates.
Cloud Cuckoo land has clouds.
I haven't lost enough dignity to go into Ceebeebies land (okay, I haven't been IN there since it's 're-skin' so to speak, but the old one was decent)

and then there's the Dark Forest! Spoooooky! Yeah. I just don't feel it cuts it.

Opinions?
Altontowersbarlow

I don't feel The Dark Forest is the strongest themed area in The Alton Towers Resorts' line-up as there are many inconsistencies within the overall theme of the area. The area is too over-crowded with tacky game and food stalls that are not related/ linked to the Dark Forest and the theme is carried out poorly in the majority of the area. Despite this, Thirteen is a well themed attraction with an interesting storyline and a relatively enjoyable ride experience. I think we should just accept the Dark Forest as a moderately themed zone with two decent attractions, nothing more and nothing less.
palaydion

I feel the same way but what really makes me like the Dark Forest is the awesome music \:D/
Credit Lewis97

KatangaZebra

Before the scaffolding came upon our queen, it think dark forest was a good original idea. However, the scaffolding has to be there for safety reasons
BenBowser

Dark Forest is awful, no nicer way to put it.

Thirteen is a great ride, with a very unique and interesting theme, and one that I really enjoy. It just such a shame that the small budget for re-theming the area only allowed for vines and scaffolding to be added to the existing structures...

Rita's just been bad since say one, you can't really blame Merlin for that abomination.
Dom

Dark Forest annoys me because of its lack of themeing. Its almost as if they have just given up with the area and don't actually care. It needs a lot of work to make a spectacular area. The only problem i personally have is it isn't actually a forest.Surely they would be better of planting more trees and getting rid of everything down the left hand side. This makes the area look even worse.
lucy2244

I agree, its pretty rubbish in terms of theming, but I can't help but love both th13rteen and Rita. The atmosphere is ruined from the beginning really, with the multiple pointless game stalls and food outlets. I don't actually think the scaffolding looks too bad, I think it adds to the 'escaping from the dark forest' feel when it comes to Rita, however in places it does look very shoddy and slap dash. Rita and thirteen in my eyes don't fit well together in one area, especially as Rita's story was just changed to fit in. With a few added theming extras, less games stalls and maybe a flat, in my eyes the dark forest could be a good area!
TheOutpatient

I think the music and colour palette makes the gloom of the area very real. The main colours are green and grey which are not the happiest colours in the world but the colours and the whole branding of the area relates well to and continues the story of Hex quite well. I've said it before but I think some form of light sources could be added to the area, maybe some old work lanterns with blue or green bulbs inside, I don't know, just something like that to lift the gloominess a bit.
tallicay2k

"Cloud Cuckoo land has clouds"
Best thing I've heard in ages.

I like DF and the general theming (music is fantastic.) The scaffolding I've just come to accept and think as part of the scenery (just think of the crypt and 13s station area.)

The real abomination is Rita.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Morgan

DF has the third best soundtrack on park (Smiler 2nd, Nemmy 1st), however the only atmosphere is on TH13TEEN. Rita and the games make the area look really un-scary (although Rita's control building is quite spooky). Maybe if they replace Rita's scaffolding with a fake tower that it launches through? And if they replace those mazes with some kind of really intimidating flat like a Top Scan?
Burniel

Tbh, I think what I'd do with DF now is do a full re-theme.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
JustWill

Is the dark forest meant to look bad?
No, I just feel that since th13teen opened, not much has happened in the area :/

I want to mention that the shops (Rita shop, etc.) still seem to have the UGLAND themed roofing, only just noticed that whilst queuing for Rita a couple of weeks ago.
And that Rita just doesn't fit. much to Tallicay2K's point.
Alton13Nemesis

The theming was certainly rushed, and I'd like to see that amended in the future. However the thing that ruins the area most is Rita. Its a shockingly bad ride, it needs to go. Build a ride which is much more appropriate for the area and bring some awesome atmosphere.
Trumpet

I went when Th13teen first opened, and thought it looked good. While it was lacking in theming, it is what I would expect from a British themepark. An improvment from Ug land, as prehistoric in a themepark with a rollercoaster and a racetrack themed one does not feel right. If they planted more trees, then it would be fantastic.
Air14

I think the dark forest isn't the best area in the park as it has too many games stalls and the area doesn't need them at all really. The rollercoasters (Rita and 13) are both good rides but rita doesn't really stand out in the area and doesn't make no sense in the dark forest.
Sentri558

Wow I posted an image on the wrong thread -_-

#Can'tDeleteBecauseI'mStupid