Whirled Cup of Rides

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sadie123

So, the official Alton Towers Facebook page has been posting the Whirled Cup of Rides.
And, so far, its been very interesting. I've loved reading people's comments about what rides they love and which ones they don't.
Ripsaw vs The Smiler
Nemesis Sub-Terra vs Hex
The Runaway Mine Train vs The Flume

I chose The Smiler, Sub-Terra and The Flume. The Smiler because of its complete awesomeness, Sub-Terra as I've had some fantastic banter with The Phalanx and The Flume, as I've loved its update.

What did you (or would you) choose and why?
Danny

This is the order they've done them in on Instagram

Sonic Spinball v Air (Air won)
Th13teen v battle galleons (th13teen won)
Enterprise v Duel (duel won)
Rita v Nemesis (result wasn't posted)
Ripsaw v The Smiler (The Smiler won)
Nemesis Sub Terra v Hex (Hex won)
Runaway Mine Train v The Flume (to be announced today)

So far through to the next round:
Air
Th13teen
Duel
The Smiler

I'll update the results when they are posted :)
Dom

The Flume won against RMT and today's is Oblivion vs Congo River Rapids.
Also Nemesis Won in the round against Rita
Jamie

I can't understand why they are comparing things like Oblivion with Rapids. How can you directly compare a roller coaster with a rapids ride?
sadie123

Well, firstly, you can't. But I do not think they have.
So, Sonic Spinball versus Air, an odd choice, as Sonic is more family friendly. Th13teen versus Battle Galleons - never been on Battle Galleons, but I would have thought Th13teen versus Sonic would have been a better choice. Rita versus Nemesis, well, that gets Nemesis through!!! (I personally don't rate Rita). Enterprise versus Duel, well, that is probably equal in terms of who can ride them. Ripsaw versus The Smiler, that is quite equal, both the most 'fearsome' rides to go on. Sub-Terra versus Hex is battle of the dark rides and Runaway Mine Train versus the Rapids is battle of Katanga Canyon.
But, I think it is more worthwhile, because I think it may be a way of working out what rides we prefer the most. So far, Air, Duel, Hex and The Smiler are through. I can see that it could be a Nemesis versus The Smiler final. I presume that Nemesis beat Rita.
sadie123

So, with 52% of the vote, The Smiler was victorious against Nemesis.
I voted Nemesis in the final, because its legendary, its back story and the fact I've been riding it for the last 20 years.
I love The Smiler, I think its totally awesome. However, I think its won more of a result of the AT marketing campaign (which by the way I totally loved) and the connection to The Sanctuary, which created a heck of a buzz, such as the painted sheep - it definitely got people talking.
To some respects, has Nemesis been devalued in peoples opinion, because Sub-Terra is not everybody's cup of tea, or is it just the shock of the new?
Clearly if its the 'shock of the new', maybe people want more bigger, scarier rides from AT and that whilst, say Thorpe Park go somewhat hell for leather for 'adult' riders, Towers has maintained very much a family audience. Perhaps this is a direction Towers should continue to develop. As much as I love Th13teen, they could have made it VERY scary indeed, but it isn't.
What do you guys think?
sw7nutter

Its the wrong winner. The smiler is over rated and has won because its new. Nemesis is far the better ride and should have won by miles
Aidan Lowe

The fact that it was close (if indeed the % were correct) shows you The Smiler isn't all that for people who have been to alton towers and ridden both.
RCandrew

I'm not going to completely disagree and say no it's wrong only because the Smiler is new.
However, a small amount of votes for The Smiler would most definitely have been because it's new and people only went for the first time to ride it recently. So the fact that it won by only 2% really shows how nemesis is still true favourite. Just wait a year or two and do it again then we will see :)
Jack

I knew the Smiler would win, be it set or legit, but I didn't think it would be that close! and theres people in other threads doubting Nemmy's popularity! HA! :P
Benji

Whirled cup of crap! Absolutely a fix. I've just sat and counted, sad as it may be, for about 20 minutes over 400 people's votes, the majority being nemesis just to prove this point and clearly she was the winner. Such a shame you had to make your newest ride seem the best though.... :roll: :roll:
Danny

I have just had a look, at the results are accurate. The Smiler rightfully won, it wasn't a fix?
Owen

Honestly, shhhh.
It's a ride, it 'beat' another ride overall.
Does this mean it isn't the best to you? No.

It's only a bit of fun, let's not act like it affects our lives that much, honestly :lol
NemesisRider

I've been trawling the internet (again) and Nemmy still beats the Smiler in polls. Nemesis came about 8th or 9th whereas The Smiler came 38th. Surely that is more important than the whirled cup, right?

The Smiler probably would do better if it broke down less.
Jack

^agreed, the mitch hawker poll should always be referred to in these situations :P
sadie123

I had a conversation on Facebook, where we discussed marketing for Nemesis and The Smiler. I've just watched the 1994 advert for Nemesis on YouTube and yes, its very different to their TV adverts now. But it was 20 years ago. More of the ride was exposed to viewers, I think most people knew what they were getting - the advert was very self-explanatory 'the new ride at AT this year'. However, as time has passed, marketing strategies have changed, look at Th13teen for example. So lots of short burst, random advertising is fashionable at the moment.
But I agree, things that are newer in the mind are more likely to be chosen and hence The Smiler won.
Themeparksandy1981

Every new coaster gets bigger queues than Nemesis as I guess 95% of visitors have been on Nemesis before. We really got to judge the Smiler after SW8 opens or a new coaster to see if it ranks higher than Nemesis.
NemesisRider

The Smiler will be hard to beat because of the world record holder status.

I must admit, I feel happy that the most inversions record has stayed in England, I would hate having to go to America/Japan to get on every single world record holder ride.
Aidan Lowe

nemesisrider wrote:The Smiler will be hard to beat because of the world record holder status.

I must admit, I feel happy that the most inversions record has stayed in England, I would hate having to go to America/Japan to get on every single world record holder ride.
I believe a coaster is coming soon to Germany with 16 inversions, so the record will be short lived. Not sure its authenticity but maybe some park will snap it up
NemesisRider

The supports on that coaster make me want to be sick. It is quite ugly, and, seems like it exists purely for the record.

Let's hope a park doesn't buy it too quickly so The Smiler has a long time with the record.