At what age can you not handle thrill rides anymore?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

36 here too and, bar any catastrophes, my thrillseeking has barely begun :D
ponder

Kleo wrote:I found that The Swarm made me feel less sick when I got off than when I got on it! I find what I eat can have a big impact on how I feel after rides. Fast food and rides are not a good mix!!!
Absolutely. Thorpe, in particular, on a quiet day can be a killer for that, as the rides are all so close together. Pizza Hut buffet plus walk-on queues = a brief chunder session in the toilets. Still went back on other rides afterwards though. :lol

Funnily enough, the same thing then happened to my friend a couple of years later.

As for age - I'm 35 and still love all types of rides. Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland and (possibly) Six Flags Great America are all on the cards next year and I can't wait!
madeleine_rose_

Okay so, my best friend adores rides, she's 20, but they often make her pass out. My dad also adores rides, he's 51 and he's absolutely fine on them.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
vikkimoo

I recently turned 28, and I've never really been able to do anything spinny. Even teacups make me want to chuck. :sick:

And I really only started going on anything bigger than RMT when I was 22 or 23 I think?
Vladimir Bobinski

I've never been a fan of stationary/spinning type rides, some are worse that others. In regards to roller coasters, well I've turned 30 now, I certainly can handle them individually, but I can't just run round like a look and just do them one after another in such short time span, that's the main difference I've noticed, it really tires me out.

I can't see myself doing Apocalypse at Drayton something like 8 times in a row in the space of less that half hour from just running from exit to entrance on a non queue day for the fun of it.
Dom

I have started to notice that my body can't handle inversions in the same way it used too. , Nemesis Inferno never used to affect me, but i have found that whenever i ride that coaster i do feel a bit ill. But i have noticed that if i ride it front row, then i don't have that problem.

I have a weird body, because i can't handle spinning, yet i managed to do quite a few rides on Dragon's Fury in the space of half hour. (I admit, i did have to run to the bathroom after) but i was really impressed at how i handled that.

I guess age doesn't mean squat when it comes to rides and coasters. You can only handle what you can handle.
molar

I gave The Smiler a go for the first time last year, front seats, and was feeling very sick both on the ride and for a long time afterwards. On the vertical lift hill half way through my vision was upside down for a few seconds and that really was very scary. Never had that before.

I've been going to Alton Towers once or twice a year since the season of '91 when I was 9 years old. I've aways felt sick after riding on Nemesis ever since it opened, so much so that I decided last year I probably won't ride on it again as it just seems to spoil part of my day.
N_B

I'm 36 now and only have to be careful because I get migraines these days. I can get those from a glass of wine or bar of chocolate though, and I won't be stopping them either!
Thorpegirl123

I'm 30 and the rides seems to be taking their toll me on me lately. Did enterprise, spinball and the smiler all within 30 minutes last year, enterprise made me feel sick, spinball started the headache and by the time I come off the smiler I could no longer tolerate that non stop hahaha music blaring, ended up going home after that!

This year at Thorpe park it was colossus, must have banged my head a hundred times, the pain afterwards was unbearable, not helped by jumping on the swarm backwards and turning my stomach upside down.
Aidan Lowe

If you're especially queasy backwards is worse on coasters :P, it offers a different sensation then front facing when inverting.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Sawboss

29 and I definitely had a headache from going on Nemesis back row multiple times followed by Rita. Nothing too bad though, worth the pain :D
Ryan.B

The only ride to make me I'll without being a headache from my head bashing about was enterprise 3 times in a row, and it was around the same for my dad, who's fine with anything and doesn't feel sick on rides and he's 51 so I guess it just varies from person to person as my grandma couldn't do anything major after the age of 18 without bad vertigo and headaches, so it does really depend on the person.
Rita Fan

I think as you get older, your head does smack around a bit on Nemmy. First rode it when I was 12. No roughness. 14 now. Little bit of roughness
Last edited by Rita Fan on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
SkuM001

If anyone remembers this far back....

There was an elderly lady named Mary aged about 65-75 and obviously retired. In the 2003 season she attended Thorpe Park almost every single day on her own and rode Nemesis Inferno in the single rider queue all day. When I last spoke to her in 2004 she had ridden it thousands of times. I have not seen her for a long time but admittedly I only get to visit Thorpe Park once or twice a year nowadays.

As some have mentioned it does come down to health. As long as you are fit and able to there is no reason not to ride at any age.
Last edited by SkuM001 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam.W

Rita Fan wrote:I think as you get older, your head does smack around a bit on Nemmy. First rode it when I was 12. No roughness. 14 now. Little bit of roughness
That's quite funny because that's the same as me. My first trip to Alton when I was 12, Nemmy was my first ride! And now I'm 14 but I still don't find it rough most of the time
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Aidan Lowe

The more times you ride the more in the know on a ride where the rough parts are. I myself brace on the last inversion of nemesis as that's the one if I'm on a side seat I often smack my head so anticipate it.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
bluesonichd

40 should be the cut off age, it now takes me 3 days to recover after having just 1 day on resort. :dizzy:
Liam.W

My mum is 46 and went on nemesis first when we went in August. She couldn't even walk properly at first and it took her until the end of the day to stop feeling ill! However when we went in October she managed th13teen and RMT absolutely fine. Even in the dark!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

N_B

It depends on the ride too. Not Alton Towers, but I was at BPB last month and the grand national half killed me. That's a rough ride *vom*
ROYJESS

A lot of it depend on personal health. I can't imagine a day when I can no longer ride the rides. I'm in my mid 40's and I hoping to continue riding these long after I've turned grey :D

I think what will kill me first is just pushing my wife up and down those hills and around the park in her wheelchair ](*,)