Alton Towers: Merlin's 'flagship' park?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Marcus

Does anyone else agree with me? I mean Merlin does have other fantastic parks like Gardaland and Heide Park but I get the impression that Merlin spends most funds on Alton Towers since we've been getting big updates to the park annually.
Danny

I'd say it's all very down to opinion. I think AT is their flag ship park. It's their biggest resort with a target market for the whole family.
Dom

I have to disagree and not because I don't like AT. I think Legoland is Merlin's 'Flagship' park because it was the first Legoland and more have popped up around the world.
Dr.Kelham

You see I disagree about lego land since lego is a well known brand and therefore is easy to market out to families
With thanks to lewis97 :)
stealthsmiler

Not saying it is a reliable source, as I know it isn't but on ATs wiki page, it says it is Merlins flagship attraction
Marcus

stealthsmiler wrote:Not saying it is a reliable source, as I know it isn't but on ATs wiki page, it says it is Merlins flagship attraction
Where?

EDIT:

Nvm, found it.
Mark.aa

Dom wrote:I have to disagree and not because I don't like AT. I think Legoland is Merlin's 'Flagship' park because it was the first Legoland and more have popped up around the world.
Windsor legoland wasn't the first as billund in Denmark was the first.
Windsor was the 2nd legoland.was originally owned by lego until sold to merlin,it the most immersive park,but held back by local planning and target age group .

I think alton towers is the flagship,
Broader spread of ride types and worlds first major rides.
Cookie Monster

Personally, I think that Alton Towers is Merlin's 'flagship' park as it gets the worlds first on a regular basis. Also (well, where I live anyway,) there is more Alton Towers adverts.
altontowerskid

I think Merlin have a clever marketing strategy in not having a "flagship" park.

Merlin carefully markets its resort theme parks, midway attractions and Legoland as separate entities. I think this method works well for them, especially given the location of their attractions. We could say that Thorpe Park is Merlin's "flagship park of the South", but I think due to different target markets, the resorts all hold their own very well.

Of course, all this goes without saying I think the Towers is the best ;) (Yet my 13 year old cousin thinks Thorpe always comes out on top...)
Tupperwarequeen

Dom wrote:I have to disagree and not because I don't like AT. I think Legoland is Merlin's 'Flagship' park because it was the first Legoland and more have popped up around the world.

If Legoland is their flagship park, then heaven help us, we went a few weeks ago and it was a dump!!! Never see that much rubbish in ATR, the staff were nowhere near as chirpy as I'm become used to at ATR, and you had to queue for everything, even 20mins to use the loo!!!