What's The Smiler like?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Inferno Attractions

Hello again

So I really want to go on The Smiler but there is only one problem (not like Rita where I was terrified with everything)
I hate Oblivion because it has too much of a steep lift hill and The Smiler's is VERTICAL and especially when most of the problems are on the lift hill (I really don't want to be stuck in that position [-o< )

It's a shame really because I will be fully willing to go on it if it wasn't for that stupid VLift

Any advice?
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
lf2001

There's only been a few occasions when the ride has broken down on the VLift. It also only lasts a few seconds. Just get on the ride, enjoy it, and don't think about the break downs!
zippy

The vertical lift has previously put me off going on Saw at Alton Towers, but I didn't really think about it on the Smiler. The desire to go on the ride was greater than my dislike for vertical lifts, and I found that it was fine. As said above, it's actually quite quick anyway. Just keep your eyes closed if it's raining heavily
James

I must say Saw put me off vertical lifts too. Having not experienced them previously to The Smiler they did not look comfortable at all. But The Smiler's vertical lift didn't bother me at all. Far comfier than I thought!
awsomelycoolboy

As with zippy, the vertical lift in Saw at Thorpe Park really put me off, Infact that was the whole reason I didn't want to go on it. But Infact it's really fun! It's just like lying down on your back with you feet against a wall. Seriously try it. Find a little box and put it against a wall with ur but touching the box put your feet against the wall and just imaging moving upwards, other than the moving up part, that's exactly how it feels (this may not help, but on some wet days it Jiggs round abut and it feels like your gonna fall of backwards, but you don't. That what I like about rollercoasters all these things that scare you give you a funny feeling inside wich is really satisfying, that is why I'm a thrill seeker!)
djtidus

I have to admit every time I go on the smilers vertical lift hill I'm always thinking; please don't do a code zero. To be fair its not the ride breaking down its just the train in front has not cleared the last block brake yet so the ride system prevents two trains being on the same section of track. Its only really likely to happen if all the trains are in use and there is a hold in the station.

in the 10 plus days I've spent on site since it opened I have only seen this happen twice and they where both in first week of June, so try not to worry about it and just enjoy the ride :)
Zach

Echoing the comments above your completely safe :) In my opinion The smiler is a less intense ride than say rita or nemesis however its unique you never quite get time to fully compose yourself as its one inversion after another but this isn't a bad thing as the ride is enjoyable beyond compare to say the least. But it does have its rough area's (me I find it comfortable I feel the jolt in the 12th inversion exit but it doesn't hurt) I guess some people can handle marmilisation and some can't ;) The Vertical lift is really nothing as bad as it seems I know it puts a lot of people off but it's honestly nothing its over in a few seconds and your back rollercoastering! It's one of those rides you will go on and come off saying I WANT TO GO AGAIN!!! I know I did :P you will regret not going on it :) If you haven't gone on it by The summer sizzler and attend the event Id love to take you on and give you the courage if it'd help :)
Inferno Attractions

Thank you to everyone who has replied

It really is nice to know that on this forum there are nice people who listen to problems like mine and help as much as possible

It really has helped

PS How much more steep is The Smiler's lift to Oblivion's?
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Oblivion's lift hill is about 45 degrees I understand, so The Smiler's is around 45 degrees steeper.
pillsburyb

Rode the smiler for the first time yesterday, what an awesome ride.

However, the smiler was repeatedly suffering technical issues yesterday, at least 6 times while we queued for it. Nobody got stuck on the Vlift, it was always in the station.
fizzo

I agree with a previous poster. Keep practising lying back with your feet up on a box. You are very securely stracpped in so it doesn't feel unsafe on the vertical lift. Also, with so much else going on, you are distracted from that bit.
Adam.W

Tell you what, from experience I got stuck on a broken down smiler one time... It's really rare for it to get stuck on the lift, it only happens on the lift if there is a bad problem like electricity stuff. If it were to break down it always breaks down on a block brake section. As for the vertical lift, it's not that bad, just hold on to your harness and close your eyes ;)
Adam.W

And it's now I realise that I just posted on a year old post
Morgan

I do need some advice on The Smiler.
I have conquered air, The Swarm and Dragons Fury, and my time has finally come to brave marmalisation!
I'm not the biggest fan of inversions so this will be an interesting ride. I need advice on the following:
-Vlift
-Dispatch
-Correction block
-14 inversions
Many thanks!
Jack

The V-lift is nothing, just feels like you are lying on your back and is actually quite fun to just look up at the sky. I don't know what you mean specifically about the dispatch, the train is sent out, you do the indoor drop/inversion and then you go up the main lift, nothing out of the ordinary. Correction block is just a room with a few bits of projection mapping on the walls which are normally turned off so the immersion normally isn't there :P the Smiler doesn't really have any inversions that are high in hang time, but has inversions that have some positive force all the way around so you get a weird sensation of being upside down but not feeling it unlike the swarm, if I'm honest, look out for the airtime hills more than anything, actually quite forceful airtime on them which is quite surprising :)

Hope this helps, TTH :)
Ryan.B

Not scary for me, just don't close your eyes, if you liked the swarm, this is nothing compared to the swarm, much less intimidating and more of an fun ride than intense, as the fairs would describe it 'warning! This is an bubbly, boisterous ride' :lol just do it once, if you don't like it, you don't have to ride again! No ones forcing you on it :)
Morgan

Thanks you two! I started following Smilers construction so this will be the ultimate credit. Coming off Swarm felt amazing... Imagine this!
Aidan Lowe

I never had TTheory as a Smiler virgin, your on these message boards a lot I would of thought you'd have been on it.

As for the ride itself, its a fun ride no doubt about it. I remember the first time I queued for it, got the usual jitters but was left completely exhilarated after my first ride. Not so much now as I've been on it that much but the first ride of the day I attend towers is always the better experience, once you re-ride it your body becomes accustomed to it so to speak.

As for the v-lift that's nothing, I tend to hang my head over the side and watch the other train make its first inversion if dispatched correctly. I can't say it bothers me as much now as I don't spend a great deal of time in the room but if your waiting a while then the "correction block" is irritating, quite loud and warm. Dispatch, the gates open and if your lucky the smoke screen will be on then it's no turning back, down you go! :yes:
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
tallicay2k

lewis97 wrote:Oblivion's lift hill is about 45 degrees I understand, so The Smiler's is around 45 degrees steeper.
That's some serious good maths there Lewis :P
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Adam.W

At dispatch it feels amazing, you drop down into darkness, then you go through a barrel roll with the end turned 90 degrees. You also go not too fast into it, so it feels like you're upside down, sort of