The Smiler DVD

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

It was inevitable but we now have on-ride DVD's for The Smiler. Is it a good idea, or not? Thoughts?

It's so helpful they don't show you them, but they may not be operational, just yet ;)
Last edited by Owen on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themeparksandy1981

How much is it?
Dom

It is £15
Owen

Pizzazz wrote:It is £15
Fudging hell!
lf2001

Do they still do the Air and Oblivion ones? Are they the same price?
Owen

lf2001 wrote:Do they still do the Air and Oblivion ones? Are they the same price?
They did air last year I do recall, not sure any more
And oblivion is not operating any more due to malfunctions and lack of popularity

Air-

Oblivion-
Dan

Smiler on ride DVD's were working sporadically today, I tried to buy one from one of my rides but it didn't work, will try again tomorrow. £15 is steep but AP discount will soften the blow.
jmgpannal

Dan.N wrote:Smiler on ride DVD's were working sporadically today, I tried to buy one from one of my rides but it didn't work, will try again tomorrow. £15 is steep but AP discount will soften the blow.
That's if they actually give you a discount!

I had a "discussion" with a Picsolve employee, admittedly at Thorpe Park, and was told the only product they now discounted was individual photographs. And this was on The Swarm, where they do have DVDs.
demz_4

anyone seen this yet? would love to see how well this comes out! would quite like to get one without my bro knowing hahahaah
Zach

I got mine today and it came out rather well very happy with it :) it's made in to a proper film sort of thing and the bonus' on the DVD are brilliant you get HD time lapse, tv ad and the smiler shop footage
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

I would be very grateful if someone who owns a DVD of The Smiler, as I would like to see what it looks like as I am thinking of buying one next time I go to Alton Towers.
demz_4

TheSmilerMan wrote:I got mine today and it came out rather well very happy with it :) it's made in to a proper film sort of thing and the bonus' on the DVD are brilliant you get HD time lapse, tv ad and the smiler shop footage
Any chance of seeing this at all mate?
Zach

Tried to rip it off the DVD but I can't :/
JAMMYD777

There is a video of The Smiler DVD at the link below although please bear in mind I do not own this video, simply posting it.

My thoughts, it's okay but by gosh does it show just how many jolts, however small or large, that The Smiler has. It's certainly a very interesting perspective seeing all those heads move around like that.

Master_feedback

Its very dark I wouldn't say you get jolted much. On the ride at all what your seeing is body movement fron the inversions
Ladyofthelake

It would appear that it is pure luck as to whether you get a on-ride DVD or not.
Alton Towers Resort Facebook wrote:at the moment it depends which train you're on as to whether you'll be recorded or not. We are unable to say which trains we can offer the service on and unfortunately you will not be able to wait for these trains. Our external company who offer the photos and on-ride DVD are working to allow the offering on all our trains soon.
It seems a bit odd that something would be advertised that isn't available for everyone. My best guess is it was planned to be in place on all trains but wasn't completed in time for the start of the season.
Danny

On my five rides on Friday they said none of the trains cameras were working. Would've bought it as well!
Alex

Master_feedback wrote:Its very dark I wouldn't say you get jolted much. On the ride at all what your seeing is body movement fron the inversions
The jolt on the cobra roll is very noticeable though, from about 1.15 onwards you can see that the first half of it is fine but the exit of the cobra roll they get jolted quite a bit.
Altonboy001

Thrillmad wrote:
lf2001 wrote:Do they still do the Air and Oblivion ones? Are they the same price?
They did air last year I do recall, not sure any more
And oblivion is not operating any more due to malfunctions and lack of popularity

Air-

Oblivion-

They still do air
Jack

Very pleased with my on ride DVD, definitely worth the money :D