Should X-sector be re-named/re-themed to Ministry of Joy?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

Should X-sector be re-named/re-themed to Ministry of Joy?

I am a bit on the fence with this. The main reason i think it should is because at the moment The name X-sector doesn't really make a huge amount of sense, considering The Ministry of Joy seems to be a big part of the area, although not the whole area feels themed to it. It does feel like the area is in two parts.

I am not a fan of this too because i think it will seem like The Smiler would really be taking over and i don't feel that this would be the best thing because there are other rides in the area and it should not be all about The Smiler
Burniel

There are two questions I'm going to answer.

WILL IT HAPPEN?
Probably. Submission is probably the first step in a MOJ re-theme. They would have removed Enterprise had it not had so much work done in 2012. I do feel it will happen one day. Whether it ever is actually called "The Ministry of Joy" is another matter, but the area seems to certainly have MOJ as its target.

SHOULD IT HAPPEN?
No. Money down the drain, the whole land closed for a refurb and generally trying to change Oblivion will not be good for us enthusiasts, but not good for the public or Merlin as well. My parents are standard members of the public, they would probably not go if X-Sector was closed for a whole year. It would not bring Merlin any extra money (in fact, they're more likely to lose money than gain).
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Altontowersbarlow

I am also unsure and it is a very difficult matter to come to a conclusion on. I like X-sectors theme and I also think it is an immersive and unique idea however The Smiler (although not completely out of place) doesn't fit into the somewhat sinister tests X-sector is known for. I also feel that if they wanted to re-theme X-sector to the new Ministry of joy test centre they should of marketed the story of the Ministry Of Joy and told the public what the Smilers underlying storyline was. As a result of them not completely doing this I feel the public would get confused and the area would only have meaning to enthusiasts such as ourselves. Many ideas circulating the forum could come to light and would be very simple to create yet effective, therefore I feel the MOJ re-theme is definitely possible. I don't see why the videos in oblivion can't simply be updated involving being confronted by the Ministry of Joy instead of the Lord of Darkness telling the visitors they need to be psychologically thrilled and broken down before they can complete full marmalisation. Despite this the MOJ assure them the ride is perfectly safe. Just......Don't look down. This practically keeps the same theme as before with a slight hint of MOJ. With a few black and orange "MOJ's" on the wall of the station along with things like "Test 1" I feel the MOJ can unobtrusively enter X-sector and Oblivion without removing existing themes. In conclusion if the MOJ was quietly introduced in queueline videos and then strongly addressed in The Smiler you could reach a fairly effective compromise: despite this I would not like to see a complete MOJ Re-theme :)
The Crab of Nemesis

Seriously doubt there'll be any kind of re theme of x sector. As I understand it they reworked the x sector story to fit the MOJ. In the social media stuff for the smiler last year they implied that Oblivion, Enterprise and Submission were former MOJ projects.

Further to this, the entrance signs to x sector were changed at the start of last year to claim the whole area is owned by the MOJ.

If there was to be any kind of re theme it would have surely happened last year with the smiler. The most you'll get is this retrofit to the x sector story and IMO that's a good thing as I enjoy the x sector theme!
ImageSince 2008
dazza4783

Don't think there will be a re-theme, they already changed the sign last season.

Also the smile always videos showed that it was always ministry of joy that was in control of x-sector, so why change anything now.
Dom

Unless you pay a lot of attention to the minor things that have been done then you could be mis-guided into knowing what the area is actually themed around. If i wasn't on here and knew the history and story behind the area, then i would see two miss match ideas, being forced into one area with no actual reason to it.
Master_feedback

X sector has for a long time not fitted "X" says I dont know sector it now has smiler enterprise and oblivion ... "dont look down smile your on the enterprise.. "

x sector worked when it was oblivion blackhole and enterprise I guess if / when enterprise goes they will re theme but imo not till then
lf2001

I don't know really. I'm sort of stuck between both. I think X Sector should stay the same because it gives me some feeling before going on Oblivion, but I don't get why it's called X Sector, I don't know what it's really supposed to be themed around. But I'm also not sure on re-themeing the area into The smiler and the ministery of joy. Like other people have said, it will sort of take over X Sector. If it was called Smiler Land or something for example, it wouldn't sound very scary or thrilling, when all the rides in that area are thrill rides. I really don't know what will happen to be honest, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Dr.Kelham

X-Sector if I remember rightly was supposed to be government owned, obviously now owned by MOJ which in a way works as a department of the government like MOD - with regard to a retheme - personally not a major one - I would be happy if signage was used to label each ride with it's test number but if they do that firstly cannot be too intrusive and secondly if they do that the videos linking the rides need to be more than videos just uploaded to YouTube, get them on an advert or something. A rename? No way, sorry but x-sector does the job well enough
With thanks to lewis97 :)
BenBowser

If you ask me, X - Sector is a sinister government experiment site that is sinister and secret. The whole The Smiler and Ministry of Joy story is that they are operating a division of X - Sector, the area around The Smiler.

What fustrates me is the Smiler logo on top of the Rehydrator, as it brings MOJ branding to Oblivion. The Smiler can't take over X - Sector as Oblivion was always designed as the centrepiece.
Dr.Kelham

BenBowser wrote:If you ask me, X - Sector is a sinister government experiment site that is sinister and secret. The whole The Smiler and Ministry of Joy story is that they are operating a division of X - Sector, the area around The Smiler.

What fustrates me is the Smiler logo on top of the Rehydrator, as it brings MOJ branding to Oblivion. The Smiler can't take over X - Sector as Oblivion was always designed as the centrepiece.
I agree with what you are saying about the top of the rehydrator, certainly was not needed maybe an orange and black swirl would have looked better? Just an idea :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)
Luviico

X Sector fitted the theme perfectly when the area first opened however now that AT have meddled with the backstory of the area to make The Smiler and the ministry of joy fit in it doesn't make a great deal of sense to keep it as X Sector. To say that the MOJ owns all attractions in X Sector is fair enough but for me I get a more sinister feel from Oblivion than I do The Smiler and that is thanks to the original branding, colours, themes and atmosphere of X Sector. Oblivion was the headlining attraction and now it seems like The Smiler has taken over. Oblivion doesn't really fit in completely with The Smiler and to re-theme the area completely to fit in with the ministry of joy instead of sticking with the original MUCH BETTER X Sector would be a bit of a disappointment to us Oblivion fan girl/boys.
tallicay2k

BenBowser wrote:If you ask me, X - Sector is a sinister government experiment site that is sinister and secret. The whole The Smiler and Ministry of Joy story is that they are operating a division of X - Sector, the area around The Smiler.

Thank you Ben your last paragraph exactly reflects how I feel. No way should it be rethemed to suit the smiler, Oblivion was there first and is anchored to X-Sector. I do like the smiler it's an amazing ride but it's not all about it. Let's face it Oblivion was the FIRST world first in that area and had trademarked it IMO.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Burniel

Maybe if it was re-themed when Oblivion retires (a long time away I know), that wouldn't be so bad?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
tallicay2k

Ilovecoasters wrote:Maybe if it was re-themed when Oblivion retires (a long time away I know), that wouldn't be so bad?
Tbh I hope it doesn't get to that because oblivion means a lot to me. I remember it was my first time to AT and oblivion and X-Sector was huge news around the local press due to the hush hush atmosphere....and in the B&B I stayed at it was advertised on the wall. When/if oblivion does go then I guess the baton will have to be given to the smiler and yes a retheme would happen. Present day tho - Hands off blivvy and xsexy lol
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Danny

To be honest The Smiler has totally changed X sector. Whether people like it or not The Smiler is now it's signature ride and Oblivion is themed to the MoJ. However it's not really changed the theme, just added to it. I think worrying what is on top of the rehydrator is being picky really and think that The Smiler has only helped improve the former theme of X sector.
CoasterCrazyChris

DannyG wrote:To be honest The Smiler has totally changed X sector. Whether people like it or not The Smiler is now it's signature ride and Oblivion is themed to the MoJ. However it's not really changed the theme, just added to it. I think worrying what is on top of the rehydrator is being picky really and think that The Smiler has only helped improve the former theme of X sector.
The Smiler has little in common with the original thematic style of X-Sector.

How would they retheme the area anyway? Paint a load of yellow swirls around the place?
stealthsmiler

IMO X sector was starting to feel old, for the lack of a better word, and really needed the theme reinforcing. I think a slight re-theme would be good. Eg - Ex government experiment area but now owned by MOJ. MOJ tried to re use the governments testing to correct advocates but unfortunately for them Submission didn't work (hence it's removal). Blivy and Enterprise kinda did the job but not 100% so the Smiler came. Then Enterprise' effects year/s down the line, wore off and therefore it was removed (reason for enterprise' removal when it goes). Kinda like what they have already done, I know but they should make it clearer, as I think it still makes the smiler look out of place coz even though MOJ has been added to X Sector sign, theres no evidence of it being previously used by the government to explain the difference in look between Blivy and the Smiler.

I am in favor of the area becoming completely Smiler-ish though. I would make it more hospital-ish/science lab-ish by making the staff wear white lab coats, and make the guests look more like test subjects.I would also simply name it The Ministry of Joy. Maybe have spinning hypnodisks on Blivy to make it go with the smiler. I would re do the videos similar to how they are now except the argument would be abut how the MOJ is lying and its all a lot more sinister than they are making it out to be.

If I was the one in charge of the theme, I would combine the two, making the whole area overtly MOJ but still make it obvious to the general public the areas former use. It would be like MOJ is some kind of watchdog for government testing and as the division responsible for testing was failing, MOJ had no choice but to take over and do it themselves.
Luviico

I know us enthusiasts like to think in depth about themeing and back stories but I can't see AT going out of their way to alter the area too much just to make the smiler fit in more. They have to look at it the way the general public do, the majority couldn't care less about stories or looks, they just go for the ride experience. The whole MOJ back story has the potential to get far too confusing, I mean it's confusing enough as it is thanks to the addition of the smiler. A re-theme could happen in the future but don't go thinking it will be over the top like we may want it to be.
CoasterCrazyChris

stealthsmiler wrote:IMO X sector was starting to feel old, for the lack of a better word, and really needed the theme reinforcing. I think a slight re-theme would be good. Eg - Ex government experiment area but now owned by MOJ. MOJ tried to re use the governments testing to correct advocates but unfortunately for them Submission didn't work (hence it's removal). Blivy and Enterprise kinda did the job but not 100% so the Smiler came. Then Enterprise' effects year/s down the line, wore off and therefore it was removed (reason for enterprise' removal when it goes). Kinda like what they have already done, I know but they should make it clearer, as I think it still makes the smiler look out of place coz even though MOJ has been added to X Sector sign, theres no evidence of it being previously used by the government to explain the difference in look between Blivy and the Smiler.

I am in favor of the area becoming completely Smiler-ish though. I would make it more hospital-ish/science lab-ish by making the staff wear white lab coats, and make the guests look more like test subjects.I would also simply name it The Ministry of Joy. Maybe have spinning hypnodisks on Blivy to make it go with the smiler. I would re do the videos similar to how they are now except the argument would be abut how the MOJ is lying and its all a lot more sinister than they are making it out to be.

If I was the one in charge of the theme, I would combine the two, making the whole area overtly MOJ but still make it obvious to the general public the areas former use. It would be like MOJ is some kind of watchdog for government testing and as the division responsible for testing was failing, MOJ had no choice but to take over and do it themselves.
No offence but these kind of contrived back stories are very tedious. At the end of the day it is only an area at a theme park.

The Oblivion and X-Sector theme is much more creative and stronger than that of The Smiler which is little more than lots of yellow plastic and swirly logos. There is not really anything on the ride with suggests a "hospital-ish" theme either.

Also, the Lord of Darkness videos in Oblivion's queue are leagues better than any of the multimedia created for The Smiler. And spinning hypnodisks on Oblivion? That would just be silly.

The Smiler is an excellent rollercoaster but the theme was really done on the cheap and it shows in all aspects of the attraction. The last thing we need is this kind of tackiness expanded over the whole area.

You can see from this video how cool and edgy the original X-Sector theme was compared to the mess it is today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqyaa--hRao

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.