Sub Terra Broke!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RobStandley

We were just on sub terra when it seemingly broke! Lights didn't go off when we dropped, we saw the egg spin around before hand. Effects didn't trigger what so ever and now they're kicking everyone out of the queue! This happened previously does anyone know?
Last edited by RobStandley on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

I'm not surprised ...

With so many special effects, it'd be amazing if this has never happened before. It is a real shame for you though, and I hope for your sake that it returns later.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Altonboy001

Thatt rides a mess, they should do more improvements. It'a total waste of space, time and especially money.
Last edited by Altonboy001 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Nemesis rider
Liam B

considering every ride will usually break down once a week I don't see the big deal of this topic haha. But fair enough.
lf2001

It breaks down quite a lot anyway...
JAMMYD777

The lights not going off is quite common actually. It's happened to me a few times and occurred the first time I visited with friends who didn't know what happens. It ruined the experience for them and afterwards were just like "What was all that about". They found it hilarious when I told them what was supposed to happen and that you're not meant to see the egg slowly turn over. We have a good ol' laugh about it from time to time now. It wouldn't be evacuated for the lights problem though.
SW7:
Zach

blunj001 wrote: Thatt rides a mess, they should do more improvements. It'a total waste of space, time and especially money.
Must disagree here the ride isn't a waste, in fact it produces most what enthusiasts complain about theming, this ride has to be one of the best themed rides at alton towers everything from staff uniform to the exterior to interior has been well thought out! A truly immersive experience and creates thrills and frights for all ages and always has queue. Even the control room is well hidden! I think if you can say this ride is a waste you don't truly appreciate dark rides!
SuperWill

blunj001 wrote: Thatt rides a mess, they should do more improvements. It'a total waste of space, time and especially money.
I don't think it's a mess or a waste of space, time or money. I think it's awesome! I really love Sub-Terra and the Phalanx operatives! I love how the Phalanx shout orders at you and the way they tell you to shut up is brilliant! Plus I love the mini scare maze at the end! So if you really think it's a waste of space, time and money then you need to seriously go and boil your head.

Anyway, back on topic, when did this happen? I was at Towers on Saturday, Tuesday and today and when I went on Sub-Terra on those days it didn't break down. Did it break down on Sunday?

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
JAMMYD777

I too rode Sub Terra today and it was working as intended. However as I mentioned, the light situation is a common occurrence. :P
SW7:
bensaund

The big advantage of Sub Terra is that is is not a roller coaster, it is a dark ride, experience, indoor ride and it is unique, doesn't need an IP to sell it (OK it is piggy backing off Nemesis) if anything is shows how original Alton Towers are. I guess the people who dislike ST also dislike Hex?

The one thing Alton Towers brings to the table is variety and fun for all the family, all ages. It is disappointing to hear all the animals will be going this year, except Sealife, but they can easily get the back.

If Alton keep on adding unique attractions, I can see in 10-15 times it being a much superior park to what it is now.

What Sub Terra lacks, is the re-ride appeal. We all will go on Nemesis as many times as we can, but Sub Terra, you do it once and you may not even do it on multiple return visits. For those guests who visit once a year or less, they will go on it and enjoy it, so there is still plenty of people who will use the facility.

From a Merlin point of view, it does require a lot of staff to run it, in the long term, the running costs could mean we see later openings for the ride, or even it restricted to only the busier days if Merlin start doing cost cutting. Even if it became a part time attraction, for example half term/easter/summer holidays and scarefest, it is still a good addition to the park. I would welcome a reduced opening hours rather than removal if it ever came to that.
If you go down to the woods today
Ripsaw Raver

I would just like to say i ABSOLUTLEY LOVE SubTerra,I love interacting with the actors, Being part of the story, immersing my self in the experience, its all over a great experience, Scarefest for me was great as it was about 8pm and i went through Sub Terra on my Own, it really was an unusual and dare i say intimidating experience lol
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Luce

bensaund wrote: I guess the people who dislike ST also dislike Hex?

I'm not the biggest fan of Sub Terra but I really love Hex, in fact it's one of my favourite things at Alton Towers :)

Anyway, Sub Terra like any ride, is bound to have little breakdown issues but it was ok when I went on it yesterday :)
NemeJaney

I think I like Sub-Terra for it's fun element. The actors make it so exciting and unpredictable (even though you know what's going to happen) and the general excitement I feel throughout the attraction is great. I don't see it as a ride, only a fun experience with a drop in it(and many other things).
Last edited by NemeJaney on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCFCjames

I went on Sub-Terra twice today (only my 2nd and 3rd rides on it) and I couldn't believe how good it was compared to how I remember it. The whole experience is just brilliant; from the military style actors to the awesome special effects and lighting. Even though the drop may not be that thrilling, the whole drop sequence is brilliantly done and a lot better than what I remember.

For me the best part of the ride is to watch people who have never been on it before. On both my rides today there were groups of people reduced to tears from the shear terror they were in! Needless to say it was highly amusing  :lol: I think that is a testament to how well AT have made this ride, it really is a brilliant dark ride as a whole experience  8)
PeteB

I think more and more people are warming to Sub Terra but I'm probably one of few who actually love it. After it had improvements back in 2011, I was with another enthusiast on the park and we both agree that Towers actually don't deserve it. A good experience, well themed, immersed in story and lots of effects. Towers will never be able to look after it.

Same with Hex really. It was one of my favourite dark rides up until about 6 years ago when it started falling to pieces. Every time I go on now I just cringe at the state of it.
Altontowersbarlow

PeteB wrote: I think more and more people are warming to Sub Terra but I'm probably one of few who actually love it. After it had improvements back in 2011, I was with another enthusiast on the park and we both agree that Towers actually don't deserve it. A good experience, well themed, immersed in story and lots of effects. Towers will never be able to look after it.

Same with Hex really. It was one of my favourite dark rides up until about 6 years ago when it started falling to pieces. Every time I go on now I just cringe at the state of it.
I think AT do look after their rides but with something as complicated as N:ST and attractions as large as Hex problems will obviously occur :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

But look at the Florida parks, their attractions are a hell of a lot better and better maintained too.

Fair enough have they more people through the doors, but maintenance is essential for a park, you don't want it to look run down and shabby like Thorpe
If you go down to the woods today