Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
thedman31

Cool. Anyone have any ideas why and what they may contain?
thedman31

Just realised that this is just for vip on day and not vip annual pass. Was about to say isn't it a bit premature to be introducing new vip annual passes already : ) hmmmm would predict some unhappy people if these new features offer stuff not on the VIP annual pass. What does everyone else think?
Aidan Lowe

Not really sure what else they can include, maybe something to do with cbeebies land and splash landings?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
stageshoot

The wording of it says

VIP packages purchaseable on the day. As the existing packages need pre booking. I get the feeling these will be like the existing Platinum packages but with the option to buy them on the day rather than in advance. I doubt at this time of year it will be anything completely new.
Mark-Cal

RCandrew wrote:I just saw on Twitter that for a week only AT are testing a new ERT which is all of CBeebies land and X-Sector, why is this and what do you think about it?
Nooooooo !!!!!!!!
I love my Nemesis ERT, dash in through the woodland walk, front row ride before anyone else even gets there, then half an hour of B&M goodness before a nice stroll across the valley to RITA while the hoards head to X Sector.

My life is ruined ! :no:
Burniel

This is ridiculous.

We're sacrificing Nemesis, The Blade, Duel, Runaway Mine Train, Sharkbait Reef, plus others in exchange for The Smiler and Enterprise.

I thoroughly dislike this idea and hope that after the trial they revert back to the old ERT.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
RCandrew

Mark-Cal wrote:
RCandrew wrote:I just saw on Twitter that for a week only AT are testing a new ERT which is all of CBeebies land and X-Sector, why is this and what do you think about it?
Nooooooo !!!!!!!!
I love my Nemesis ERT, dash in through the woodland walk, front row ride before anyone else even gets there, then half an hour of B&M goodness before a nice stroll across the valley to RITA while the hoards head to X Sector.

My life is ruined ! :no:
That is exactly what I done!

But why do you think they're trying it??
Burniel

RCandrew wrote: But why do you think they're trying it??
Maybe so that the newer rides have lower queues throughout the day because people have already done them? That's the only justifiable reason I can think of.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
RCandrew

Dan.B wrote:
RCandrew wrote: But why do you think they're trying it??
Maybe so that the newer rides have lower queues throughout the day because people have already done them? That's the only justifiable reason I can think of.
That's a good point, they're the busiest areas atm.
NemesisRider

I hope/expect it might die down soon.

Can't believe what AT have done...
Dan

It sort of makes sense when you think about it.

The Smiler pretty much always has a long queue, and is always the longest queue on park. This means that a lot of people are spending a lot of time in X-Sector, when they could be in other areas of the park.

Having The Smiler on ERT will help reduce the amount of people in X-Sector after 10 o'clock, as quite a few people will have already ridden it and will go off elsewhere.

My only concern is how The Smiler will cope with an extra hours running. I'm not sure i'd want them to keep ERT like this permanently but if the trial works well I can see them keeping it.
Ladyofthelake

The Smiler has been opening 10-15 minutes early on some days over the past couple of weeks, which suggests the resort have been preparing for this change in some small way. The fact they are only trialling it for a week suggests they are aware of potential issues and therefore are not committing themselves to a permanent change.

I do wonder if we may see a few combinations of ERT rides on trial over the coming weeks. The resort do state that the line-up is subject to change at any time. Perhaps they are using this as an opportunity to see what works best in combination for all guests, or even as other people have suggested seeing if it helps disperse crowds from X-Sector.
Danny

I think they are doing this so that most of the hotel guests will have done Oblivion and The Smiler by 10am so you'd think they would be leaving x sector as normal guests are coming in.
I think to keep The Smilers queues down its a good idea, but hate that it's all on one side. At least Nemesis and Bladd to spread th crowds both ways
NemesisRider

I assume you mean all the guests would go to the same side of the park...
Mark-Cal

Msybe it's Alton Towers' wsy of announcing Smiler is no longer considered a problem child and can be relied on to behave during ERT.
NemesisRider

I wouldn't go as far to say The Smiler is a problem child, it hasn't been since the start of 2014.

If you see it on a mildly moist day, it runs flawlessly unless heavy rain triggers a closure.
Hazard

I would be surprised if The Smiler was on ERT full time as its popular and probably sells a good amount of fast track tickets, if I was entering the park at 9:00am and had an hours use out of it then chances are I wouldn't purchase a fast track ticket as I would probably get two goes out of it at least by 10:00am unless AT are trying to encourage more guests to arrive at the park early and spend more money?

Either way from a business point of view I'm struggling to find the gains?
NemesisRider

I guess Merlin are just experimenting.
Count-Vonduel

Maybe Merlin have seen the light and are experimenting with new ways to improve guest experience? ... :lol
NemesisRider

Could be...

This is an amazing revalation Count-Vonduel!

Still, Merlin do provide a good guest experience, except the ride operators feel a little alienated when a 12 year old asks for ride breakdown compensation... :lol