Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

It's sad when we're coming to expect rubbish like this from the nations biggest (and best) theme park. They are so far away from meeting even an acceptable standard anymore. Just goes to show really. I fear we're past the point of no return, can we really expect anything to improve... ever? I have tickets lying around that I haven't bothered even using yet, and despite having already booked a short break for Scarefest, we're thinking of just cancelling it all tbh. :(

streetmagix

Robert.W wrote:It's sad when we're coming to expect rubbish like this from the nations biggest (and best) theme park. They are so far away from meeting even an acceptable standard anymore. Just goes to show really. I fear we're past the point of no return, can we really expect anything to improve... ever? I have tickets lying around that I haven't bothered even using yet, and despite having already booked a short break for Scarefest, we're thinking of just cancelling it all tbh. :(
My enthusiasm has gone for Alton Towers. I just feel nothing about the park, good or bad. Part of me hopes that next year they will bring back sensible opening times, fewer closed days, no staggered opening times, return of Single Rider and a public bus that runs for more than 3 days a year. You know, how it was in 2016 and previous years.
I've been twice this year (once for Wicker Man, then for the Summer Festival) but that will probably be it. 
Aidan Lowe

Having an Alton Towers Annual Pass which excludes most of October, and having this closed Tuesdays/Wednesdays (which are my only days off), means I've probably done my last trip of the season and I didn't even know it at the time :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
nicky.borrill

Been to towers 8 times this year, been TP, BPB, DM a few times too... Yesterday at Alton Towers was the best!!! Haven’t seen any park that busy outside Scarefest / Fireworks for well over a decade. The atmosphere was great, queues were long despite all rides having all trains on, and very little down time. Operations were on point, and capped off with extended opening announced in the afternoon. :) happy days.
Sawboss

nicky.borrill wrote:Been to towers 8 times this year, been TP, BPB, DM a few times too... Yesterday at Alton Towers was the best!!! Haven’t seen any park that busy outside Scarefest / Fireworks for well over a decade. The atmosphere was great, queues were long despite all rides having all trains on, and very little down time. Operations were on point, and capped off with extended opening announced in the afternoon. :) happy days.
You're doing it wrong, this forum is for doomsaying and bitter sadness. Seriously guys, find a new interest if you really don't care about AT anymore, my mum's into kayaking.
Justin

Sawboss wrote: You're doing it wrong, this forum is for doomsaying and bitter sadness. Seriously guys, find a new interest if you really don't care about AT anymore, my mum's into kayaking.
I'm not sure what you are implying Sawboss? :|

There will always be people (not exclusive to just this site, but other forums and social media platforms), who will disagree with some of the decisions Alton Towers, or Merlin make in general. They are entitled to express their views, just as much as I am able to express my love for Alton Towers. In general, I believe the forum is very positive, but Dan and I happy to discuss this further, privately, if you so wish? :)

I absolutely love the place. Yes, there are even better ifs but what a place to go and have fun with your friends and family. I have made many happy memories! :D
Bert

Sawboss wrote:
nicky.borrill wrote:Been to towers 8 times this year, been TP, BPB, DM a few times too... Yesterday at Alton Towers was the best!!! Haven’t seen any park that busy outside Scarefest / Fireworks for well over a decade. The atmosphere was great, queues were long despite all rides having all trains on, and very little down time. Operations were on point, and capped off with extended opening announced in the afternoon. :) happy days.
You're doing it wrong, this forum is for doomsaying and bitter sadness. Seriously guys, find a new interest if you really don't care about AT anymore, my mum's into kayaking.
TowersStreet is supposed to be the forum that moans not here, this is the more positive forum.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

All forums will have different viewpoints, both positive and negative. At the end of the day, if we were all the same then it would be a very boring place :)
nicky.borrill

Sawboss wrote:
Nah, everyone is entitled to their opinions... To be fair, anybody can see it’s been a tough few years for Towers, which was the original point of my of my post, for the first time in ages I can see them coming out the other side ok. Regardless of what poeple think of Merlin, they are a business, and their product is guest entertainment, every decision they make is a balancing act between guest enjoyment and profit. They need to make profit, to do that, guests need to enjoy and buy their product, they know that better than any of us. 
Justin

I must agree!

Yes, guests must be satisfied, but it is all too easy to slate Alton / Merlin. I am very much one who takes a step back and actually appreciate what we have. I absolutely love Alton Towers and what they do. I do see things around the park which could be improved, but it does come down to money!
MakoMania

I have to say, other than Wicker Man which is fabulous, there hasn't been much to smile about this season. My main gripes are:

-Removal of all SRQs and baggage holds on Smiler & Th13teen. These two rides have been badly hit capacity wise.

-4pm closures on days with 120 minute queues in June

-Continued closure of Sub-Terra

-Extensive staggered openings, which in a positive move appear to have gone away

I feel like there are many simple things the park could do to vastly improve the guest experience. Nevertheless, the park remains an enjoyable day out but it's not up to scratch when compared to just a few years ago.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Swarm Chris

I think it can be all too easy at times to pull out the issues with Alton and the rest of the Merlin parks. For sure they do have their issues, but when you compare them with other parks you start to see pretty much everywhere has their quirks.

The majority of Cedar Fair parks run an extremely limited number of days each year. Even Cedar Point only operates at weekends in September and from what I can tell the hotel only operates on the days the park is open, so no staying onsite the day before or the night after in September. Bag drops of any form are beginning to be ditched in favour of paid lockers in many US parks. Disney Paris closes the majority of its restaurants outside of peak season and I've had an issue of literally struggling to find anywhere on property that would serve a meal, whilst their quick serve offerings are some of the slowest I've ever experienced. Efteling shuts at closing time, so chances are the rides will be closed a good while before the park is meant to close.

More investment would certainly be great, but there are things that the UK parks do very well despite this.
PhNx Survivor

Personally.. this is why I hope the London Resort Project happens.

This will be a big rival to Merlin, as currently I don’t believe Merlin parks have any rivals in the UK.. Blackpool is closing in but not the same level. If the LR project were to happen.. I strongly believe we will see a major difference in Merlin parks.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
MakoMania

Swarm Chris wrote:I think it can be all too easy at times to pull out the issues with Alton and the rest of the Merlin parks. For sure they do have their issues, but when you compare them with other parks you start to see pretty much everywhere has their quirks.

The majority of Cedar Fair parks run an extremely limited number of days each year. Even Cedar Point only operates at weekends in September and from what I can tell the hotel only operates on the days the park is open, so no staying onsite the day before or the night after in September. Bag drops of any form are beginning to be ditched in favour of paid lockers in many US parks. Disney Paris closes the majority of its restaurants outside of peak season and I've had an issue of literally struggling to find anywhere on property that would serve a meal, whilst their quick serve offerings are some of the slowest I've ever experienced. Efteling shuts at closing time, so chances are the rides will be closed a good while before the park is meant to close.

More investment would certainly be great, but there are things that the UK parks do very well despite this.
Oh absolutely, Alton Towers do get a lot of things right, they're probably the best in the UK in terms of running coasters on a good capacity for example.

Just some small steps and the park will be fantastic again, Wicker Man is definitely a great addition.

If Towers could do these things for next season (some easier than others), it would improve the park experience so much:

-Bring back single rider queues on Spinball Whizzer, The Smiler & Th13teen, these are the rides that benefited the most from them.

-ERT returning to 9am would be good considering there will be a higher number of guests staying on site due to the Stargazing Pods.

-Reopen Sub-Terra! :P

There are already rumours swirling about The Blade being removed and Sub-Terra reopening to compensate. This would be positive from a thrill seeker perspective, although not for people under 1.4m.

Hopefully with the park seemingly having had a good season in 2018, Merlin will be willing to give the Resort an increased operating budget for 2019. Although the continuous cuts in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 don't fill me with confidence.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
TinkerGem

On a solo trip to AT and missing SRQ soo much! Only a 15 min wait for wicker man but nearly every train had at least one empty seat
belpertramp

I miss those too, it's so frustrating that full use isn't made of spare seats.
Swarm Chris

Sadly, even if they wanted to, I can't see a way that Wicker Man could operate with a SRQ. It would either cause chaos in batching or would require people to enter via the staff door next to baggage reclaim.

For pretty much every other roller coaster there though, if they wanted to they could.
Ismail

It's annoying seeing empty seats on rides! You just think that it could have been you.
Activist3

I used to love Alton Towers but struggling to get enthusiastic now that I have been to other parks.  It seems like Alton is now transitioning to the family market while Thorpe Park seems to be going for the 16-40 market with the whole year horror and Love Island.  I went to Scarefest a few years ago and it wasnt a great experience with Rita and Thirteen constantly down which caused chaos elswhere.  However the mazes were phenomenal, and the staff were brilliant, not closing any of them until everyone had had a go.  It does seem steep now though at an extra £28 per person.  It becomes so expensive.  Thorpe again seem to be going all out!  Had a great experience at Europa Park with the rapid batching and fast moving queues and with the Florida Parks with all day opening!  When I was there Animal Kingdom was open from 7am to 2am!  I know it is down to costs and things but surely staying open a few extra hours and tempting people to stay for evening meal is the way forward?  
Stan.H

Going on what Activist3 said (above), I won't be surprised if opening hours are increased for next season - especially on peak days, as even this weekend (which is arguably an off-peak 'breather' period between Summer and Scarefest) we have seen queue times in excess of 60 minutes for almost all of the thrill attractions, despite a 5pm closure. As much as it is annoying for us enthusiasts having longer queue times and shorter opening hours, this sure is more promising for the parks future and opening hours. So I really hope the Summer opening hours are increased to 7 or 8pm at a minimum and that Merlin sees the success of Wicker Man and the number of guests it has attracted back to the park. Fingers crossed for next season!