Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom170499

MakoMania wrote:It all makes sense now for The Smiler and Th13teen, they will probably be using the old single rider path to the station as fastrack given that baggage holds have apparently been ditched.

Still not sure why SRQ has gone on Oblivion, they aren't saving any staff and fastrack already has a path direct to the station.
Why would baggage holds have been scrapped on Th13teen and The Smiler when one was included in the station building for Wicker Man? 
Nickolai

I am happy for baggage holds to be removed from the ones with the specific booths if they can put cages or something in the stations.
Formally Smiler313
Kraken

Towers botched the sign up for the original Rita SRQ.  Can't remember the exact wording, but it basically said "Your wait for Rita Queen of Speed will be shorter in this queue.  This is possible ONLY if you are willing to sit in any seat / willing to not sit together".  Of course the general public only read the first sentence on the sign and joined the SRQ & complaints were rife.  The sign was then "amended" with crappy black tape to cover up the first sentence, so it made it clear the SRQ was for riders willing not to ride together.  It was not unknown for multiple trains to have to be dispatched from just the SRQ to prevent "problems".  The sign was replaced fairly quickly in 2005.  I've still got a picture of the taped-up variant of the sign - looks amateur-ish at best.  
Tom170499

Smiler313 wrote:I am happy for baggage holds to be removed from the ones with the specific booths if they can put cages or something in the stations.
See, I wouldn’t. The baggage holds such as that on The Smiler and Th13teen are more secure. Especially on rides such as The Smiler that operate a lot of trains.

If they were to be replaced with cages, I hope they have a system similar to Galactica, with sliding doors to separate each train.
Nickolai

I mean yes that would be even better, it is just my point was is that there should be something dedicated to storing baggage than just dumping it on the floor. By as you say, the sliding door ones are good. Europa Park have some good ones too.
Formally Smiler313
MakoMania

Tom170499 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:It all makes sense now for The Smiler and Th13teen, they will probably be using the old single rider path to the station as fastrack given that baggage holds have apparently been ditched.

Still not sure why SRQ has gone on Oblivion, they aren't saving any staff and fastrack already has a path direct to the station.
Why would baggage holds have been scrapped on Th13teen and The Smiler when one was included in the station building for Wicker Man? 
I imagine that budget is the reason.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
streetmagix

A real shame, are they going to self batching maybe? It's not like it takes an extra member of staff to run a SRQ (assuming Fasttrack is operating). Another silly decision by Alton/Merlin.

I guess that confirms that Wickerman won't have a SRQ too.

EDIT AS TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING

Am I the only one who just has no enthusiasm to visit Alton Towers this year? No SRQ, reduced hours, staggered opening and no public transport. Ugh. Guess my Merlin Pass is now a Thorpe/Chessington annual pass now.
Robert.W

streetmagix wrote:Am I the only one who just has no enthusiasm to visit Alton Towers this year? No SRQ, reduced hours, staggered opening and no public transport. Ugh. Guess my Merlin Pass is now a Thorpe/Chessington annual pass now.
I think you'll be in a minority with that opinion. Personally, I'm the complete opposite. Thorpe and Chessington have little appeal to me, but Alton I just can't wait to visit! :)

MakoMania

Ridetimes has shown this for the staggered openings this morning:

ERT on selected rides from 9:30am

10:00am:

CBeebies Land
Wicker Man
Heave Ho!
Marauder's Mayhem
Runaway Minetrain
Duel
Spinball Whizzer
The Smiler
Enterprise
Oblivion

10:30am:

Rita
Th13teen
Hex
Driving School
Gallopers Carousel
Frog Hopper

11:00am:

Nemesis
Galactica
The Blade
Battle Galleons
Congo River Rapids
Skyride

EDIT: It is not clear at what time Forbidden Valley was supposed to open, but Nemesis & Galactica are still showing as unavailable as of 11:05am.
razgriz33

[rant] Must say I'll miss all but the smiler's SRQ - (nearly) every time i see it or use it; it's not utilised properly, I've been waiting in that queue for ages to find out when we're finally beckoned through the ropes and up the stairs that nobody's been standing there to fill seats for a few batches! seen it happen from the main queue too. They just hold you at the ropes for what feels like forever and for no reason[/rant

Can't imagine SRQ will disappear forever, empty seats do not make good efficiencies.

RE: chap with no enthusiasm for AT this year, each to their own but I'm thrilled about Wickerman and I can't wait to get back to my favourite escape :) 
jackf1tz

Don't know if it's an opening thing as Nemesis is still coming up as unavailable.
Dan

jackf1tz wrote:Don't know if it's an opening thing as Nemesis is still coming up as unavailable.
Forbidden Valley opens at 11am.

Since today is a pre-season day, 100% ride availability isn’t guaranteed. The park will still be working on getting things ready for the main season opening so I’m not surprised that not everything is open.
MakoMania

Dan wrote:
jackf1tz wrote:Forbidden Valley opens at 11am.
Are you sure? I'm only questioning since I messaged Alton Towers well before 11am this morning asking about Nemesis & Galactica and they replied stating that they were working to get them open as soon as possible.
Dan

What I mean is, Forbidden Valley should open at 11am, but they may have had issues getting the rides ready or knew they would be opening late/not opening at all due to winter work not being finished yet.

In other news, TowersStreet have provided an update on the SRQ removals at Towers. In the photos below you can see that Oblivion and Th13teen have both had their SRQ’s removed and signage altered. The Th13teen Fastrack queue now utilises the old SRQ, which I believe will be a welcome change to Fastrack ticket holders, while the baggage hold has also been removed.

The Smiler has also had some alterations to its operations which can be found here.
Justin

The Th13teen baggage adjustments are more acceptable. At least it ties in with the theme, although some new signage is needed as that gaffer tape doesn't send the right impression.
TheBeornen

Yeah it just looks really unprofessional and looks as if it was a last minute decision by AT. 
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Nickolai

The fact it looks so temporary makes me feel hopeful this is not to stay...
Formally Smiler313
TheBeornen

Hopefully it'll change next season if this season is very successful for Merlin.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Dan

Wicker Man has now been added to the Resort Map in the Alton Towers official app in preparation for the theme park opening this Saturday. The update also shows the re-opening of the Mutiny Bay to Katanga Canyon Path, as well as showing the path beneath Wicker Man’s lift hill which was open during 2017’s Fireworks spectacular. One tree path, which was open throughout 2017, appears to have been removed suggesting it will not be open for 2018.

Could this update indicate we’ll be seeing the full 2018 Resort Map released shortly?

DeadJack5

I imagine the rest of one tree path could be used for staff access which is a shame as it would have provided some nice views from the side of the ride. I'm happy to see the path under the lift Hill being used! Some good views looking downwards on the ride should be found there.