Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

As looptheloop has mentioned above, Alton Towers are offering guests the chance to Make your mark on the Park by having a personalised brick installed in the Admissions Plaza at the park.

For a price of £50 (MAP discount is available), guests can have their brick engraved with a unique message before it is installed on the plaza, with text engraving being available in Gold or Purple.

The terms and conditions are below:
- For each brick purchased a certificate will be sent to the person named in the certificate box. Please check for any errors as we will use the exact copy received.
- Inscriptions may include names, hometown, a special date or any other special occasion. We do not engrave lifespans, profanity or anything deemed inappropriate.
- All bricks remain the sole property of the Alton Towers Resort
- Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to approve all lettering and to refuse any application
- It is envisaged that the bricks will be displayed at the Admissions plaza site (or elsewhere if specifically stated by us) for a minimum of 2 years but it is anticipated to be longer. In exceptional circumstances, the Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to move or relocate the bricks without liability
- Although of excellent quality and designed to last, bricks may become worn or damaged over time owing to natural causes. No liability can be accepted for this by us
- The Alton Towers Resort has complete control over the location and installation date of the bricks
- Once you submit your order form, there will be no opportunity to make any amendments to the inscription.
PhNx Survivor

Seems a really good way to have a piece of AT I guess.. but I bet after a short period of time, vandalism to the bricks will occur from people who just do it 'for a laugh' or '#Yolo'.

... *inhales deeply* ](*,)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Luce

It does seem a good idea but personally I think it's a bit too pricey for me :)
Phild94

Luce wrote:It does seem a good idea but personally I think it's a bit too pricey for me :)
If this was £20 I might actually consider buying one as it’s a great novelty gift... but for £50 I would rather pay for park entry for 2 people with 2-4-1s!
Nickolai

Hopefully guests will be informed on where they are placed so they can find them!
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I don't think it is bad. If you get two to four of you then you can always share a brick. At the end of the day, if you want your name at the park then it is a brilliant opportunity. I'm seriously thinking about it!
DavidRock

Interesting way to raise funds. I know football stadiums and Zoos do similar things. As mentioned above it depends on where the bricks are and also the threat of vandalism. Also MAP discount 
NemesisRider

I think this is an interesting idea - I’m quite tempted by it myself! Admittedly, it’s a bit on the pricey side, but it’s one of the more unique ways of supporting the park. However, I have two questions: will we get an official TTSP brick, and will we get an official John Wardley brick? :P
Justin

We'll have to wait and see. John Wardley would be a nice touch! I also think mixing it up with classic and current ride names would be a nice touch.
NemeJaney

Seems like a nice way of leaving a mark on the park if you are prepared to pay that much :) Nothing wrong with investing in what makes you happy (if you can afford it) after all! 

However, my main concern is potential vandalism: it doesn't seem likely that they'd have security watching over them at all times, and these kinds of things tend to stand out to petty vandals. Imagine paying up to £50 and then going back to find that someone's altered a letter to make a rude word, scratched it beyond legibility etc. :O Perhaps it isn't that likely but it would be a shame. 

Not to put people off, though! If you fancy it, go for it!
TheDuke

This really surprised me when I saw it promoted. I really like it though I'd never do it due to not being able to go to towers often. Its a nice touch that will add alot of personality to where they're added and reminds me of the entrances in planet coaster
DeadJack5

We are only 5 weeks away from opening and still we don't have any confirmed opening hours from the park. I wonder why it is taking long that usual to announce the opening times for the park?
Wagstaff04

Well, since the calamity that was the previous opening times, i expect they’re taking some time to revise them and see which rides should open when. 
Dan

Wagstaff04 wrote:Well, since the calamity that was the previous opening times, i expect they’re taking some time to revise them and see which rides should open when. 
The ride opening times have already been released, as covered in this TowersTimes News article.

The thing everybody wants to know now is, what time will the rides be closing? This is one of the main pieces of information that people want to know when planning a trip. Hopefully we’ll have some news in the next couple of weeks.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With the introduction of the Season Pass, it seems Towers may no longer be offering Bounceback or Return Any Day tickets, going by this FAQ response:
CAN I BUY A RETURN TICKET TO COME BACK THE FOLLOWING DAY/ANOTHER DAY?
Whilst we do not offer a return ticket, we strongly recommend guests to purchase a new Season Pass which allows you to pay for 1 day entry and return for free all season!
streetmagix

'Return for free all season'

I thought the season passes excluded the Halloween events + Weekends during the summer? Or have I missed something?

This is the way forward I guess, very few parks outside of the UK offer bounce back tickets and most offer a 2 day pass with a small discount instead. Also many museums and art galleries allow unlimited entry for a year when you buy a ticket.
Phild94

With all these new ticket machines being installed I hope AT decides to make a large step forward in its pricing of tickets.

I think that it may be worth finally reducing the ticket price to around £30 and severely limiting the number of 2-4-1’s that it puts out into the GPs hands.

Does anyone think this will ever actually happen though?
PhNx Survivor

I don't see the reason why AT would charge £55 for a Season Pass.. when then the ticket price stays at the £50 mark for 1 day.. it doesn't make sense.. either way I will be purchasing a season pass!

I agree a figure of around £30 for 1 adult is a fair price with the current situation of rides and attractions.. however I don't think the pricing will move anywhere..

The 2-4-1 deals should be limited in other ways, such as who is advertising the 2-4-1 deals. I understand some people have money issues so the 2-4-1 is a great way for them to visit the Towers.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Phild94

I don’t know of anyone who goes to AT who doesn’t have 2-4-1s or a season pass as there’s so many available.

So although £30 looks like a severe price decrease (and is really appealing to the GP) it’s more than the cost of a 2-4-1 discounted ticket.

Also if this drive visitor numbers then they’re going to make a huge profit from F&B/Merch outlets.
Justin

Currently, season passes and one-day admission tickets are priced at £55 each, therefore it is instantly appealing to those booking advanced tickets online (£33) to consider paying an extra £22 if they were looking to return for a second day or more that year.

I'm not sure how many people pay full price for admission though, although 2-4-1 vouchers provide an instant draw to customers, families in particular, while giving that product a promotion and Merlin exposure to their parks and mid-way attractions. These vouchers have become the norm, therefore, I doubt anyone would be willing to pay full price and will go out of their way to look for a deal/voucher. The Season Pass offers more of a competitive edge to draw in more guests but it would be interesting to see how many of those purchasing the pass actually take full advantage of repeat visits.