Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
wrightiee

the smiler :-) wrote: Did any of you know that John Wardley is retiring after The Smiler, his last rollercoaster after all his worlds first? [eg oblivion worlds first vertical drop air the worlds first horizontally flying ect] Finally he comes to the biggest and the best, THE SMILER with worlds first 14 inversion coaster. Well done John Wardley! :D
You're joking?
JayJay90

yeah there's a thread on his retirement somewhere. it was announced quite a while ago its sad news. However, what better way than to stand down whilst youre at the top and after a huge massive project such as the smiler!
the smiler :-)

JayJay90 wrote: yeah there's a thread on his retirement somewhere. it was announced quite a while ago its sad news. However, what better way than to stand down whilst youre at the top and after a huge massive project such as the smiler!
he did say that if anyone called him up and asked for help he would help them
Lee

Just returned from my third visit this season and the park has been dead on each day. Today the weather was glorious and everything (including spinball) was walk on. This trickles down to the restaurants too. As much as it's great having a quiet day, I'm hoping the smiler brings the crowds flowing because the park is lacking atmosphere.

In terms of staff, there seems to be a real difference this year. Some staff are fantastically friends, and others seem absolutely miserable and don't seem to want to be there at all. It's surprising because towers have always had the most friendly staff in the merlin brand in my opinion, and I'd hate for them to follow the staff morale of Thorpe.
Lexie

Regarding staff: I concur, Lee. I'm currently writing a letter about that now.

It's awesome having a quite day, but yes, it's a little worrying when it carries on for quite this long. My solo visit at the start of April in freezing weather actually felt a little busier, and it seems to get quieter the closer we get to the launch date, so it should all pick back up overnight.
Danny

I don't just hate the people who use the water cannons on the Rapids because they get me drenched, I hate them because it convinces the powers above that there should be more:

Credit to ATG:
Hitch

Ive finished my wallpaper of the now 6 "all time greats" -

Normal Version : http://www.mediafire.com/?v3omh2pcqkq01lj
Alton Towers 2013 Logo Version: http://www.mediafire.com/?dpr2ijal4vexgjz
SmilingMonkey

Anyone know why Air has been closed the past few days?
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
nodestinyx

I was at the park on Thursday and had a fantastic day, even though, The Smiler, Oblivion, and enterprise were shut and Air kept breaking down. We went on the runaway mine train in the rain and got wetter than we did on the log flume, it was fantastic fun, although my friend lost his hat on the log flume.
JaykeAT

As far as Air goes,it is something to do with the restraint thing in the ride op area,the thing they use to shout the numbers out is playing up and the keep needing to botch it up.
ollboll9

To take my bags with me on The Flume and The Rapids and so on, what can I use to waterproof them?
Poop. Always
ollboll9

Just had a brainwave, what if i wrapped it in one of the poncho's they sell? Would it work, if it's a wet day I'll be byuing one anyways. :?
Poop. Always
Sam198

This.

Or alternatively, you wrap/put anything you don't want getting wet inside the bag in a bog standard plastic one?

Or if you're really desperate, a bin liner will do exactly the same job as the bag covers in the link. :)
Kirsty25

ollboll9 wrote: Just had a brainwave, what if i wrapped it in one of the poncho's they sell? Would it work, if it's a wet day I'll be byuing one anyways. :?
Or you buy a poncho at poundland instead of on park cos it will cost approx £4 less :)
bensaund

I'm not sure what the Ponchos from the towers are like, but the ones from Thorpe are designed that once they get wet the material instantly starts to degrade and with in a few months the plastic falls apart, which I am sure is a design feature. But at £6 each a rip off.

Or Amzon, 6 ponchos for £5 with free delivery and they like to get wet and don't fall apart, and when they break, you use a spare, plus they are much lighter and fit into a bag easier.
If you go down to the woods today
foleyshikari

Hey everyone :)

I'm travelling to the park this Friday! So so excited! Just wondering what you think the busy-ness (I know that isn't a word) of the park will be! Ie how long am I expected to queue? I'm thinking of buying a fast track silver so I have time to ride the others and can spend an hour or 2 queuing for the smiler :)

What do you guys think? Worth it?

Cannot wait though! So excited!
DeanGaryCox

went today which i considered to be busy... got a smiler fast track as soon as i went in before 10 (before the sell out) for 3. went to rita, then 13, then nemesis and air, and got on all but air front row, before 12! just need to plan your day right :) definitely would reccomend the smiler fast track... we managed to do pretty much every decent ride today, with only the smiler fast track being bought - so it is doable :)
Image 2014
foleyshikari

DeanGaryCox wrote: went today which i considered to be busy... got a smiler fast track as soon as i went in before 10 (before the sell out) for 3. went to rita, then 13, then nemesis and air, and got on all but air front row, before 12! just need to plan your day right :) definitely would reccomend the smiler fast track... we managed to do pretty much every decent ride today, with only the smiler fast track being bought - so it is doable :)
How much are the smiler fast tracks? Sorry if this has been asked before!
DeanGaryCox

a steep £7 each... in my opinion it is totally worth it to make the most of the day... rather than the 150 minute queue that appeared to stick around all day.

8)
Image 2014
jpdalton

Where do you get the fasttracks for the smiler from? Is it the resort box office or near the smiler?

Thanks
James
Thanks
James