Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
KittyKat

I'd have to say, the thing that hit me the most about the start of this season was the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was unbelievably friendly, asking how we are, if we needed any help, etc. Not that Alton's staff haven't been friendly before - It's just really hit me this weekend. Even staff that were getting trained were lovely.

I'm not a fan of whatever is going on in the Dark Forest at the minute though. It's just the scaffolding. I remember it being like that last year and it looks messy and its quite confusing. I don't know what that's for? I just don't like it.

On a final note, I'm glad the pirate-mobile is still out and about. I've only ever seen that on youtube and I could have happily watched it all day! The guy was hilarious.
Chris
Admin
Admin

AT is the only park in the country where you will consistently get nice welcomes and goodbyes when you enter and leave the park.
bensaund

KittyKat wrote: I'd have to say, the thing that hit me the most about the start of this season was the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was unbelievably friendly, asking how we are, if we needed any help, etc. Not that Alton's staff haven't been friendly before - It's just really hit me this weekend. Even staff that were getting trained were lovely.

I'm not a fan of whatever is going on in the Dark Forest at the minute though. It's just the scaffolding. I remember it being like that last year and it looks messy and its quite confusing. I don't know what that's for? I just don't like it.

On a final note, I'm glad the pirate-mobile is still out and about. I've only ever seen that on youtube and I could have happily watched it all day! The guy was hilarious.
I have to say the Staff at Alton seem to be put through the Smiler and are so friendly and interested on how your day is going. Went to Thorpe today and it was the complete opposite, no smiles, no asking how the day was going, they all looked cold, fed up and wanted to go home. What on earth are they going to be like come October!
If you go down to the woods today
tallicay2k

Just got back from 2 days at towers and I must admit with kenzie when he states "a lot" of trees have been cut down throughout the park, IMO this really sets the scene around DF and thirteen and the whole evil forest but standing waiting for the RMT you can clearly see the whole of the log flume! Gloomy wood looks more of a fallen wood.

No red dye for nemesis but reason has been stated.

Done sanctuary also today for first time actors and atmosphere was amazing. I was terrified.

Smiler is looking immense...it's not fully built but it's friggin huge!

Staff seem a lot more friendly and actually say hello and seeing if your enjoying your day which I think is fantastic.

Finally the merchandise...especially for the smiler is awesome....I absolutely love the hoodies.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
bensaund

Staff at Alton a more friendly than they were last year which is really nice, went to Thorpe this week and most didn't communicate, such a shame you can't get the same warm welcome at all Merlin parks! lol
If you go down to the woods today
Heisenberg96

Would love to know what Alton Towers will be like at the end of the season compared with how it is at present. Personally, I believe there will be a few changes, especially over summer come the opening of the smiler. However small or significant they are.

Oh and I have a feeling we'll see the best scarefest yet.
Benji

According to TowersStreet, Rita and Nemesis Sub-terra are now on the early ride time.

This is great that they have decided to put a wider range of attractions on, because the line up before was pretty shocking. If thirteen is still on, looks like I might be spending early ride time in the dark forest  :D

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

Rita has replaced Thirteen, it is not yet known if this is a permanent swap or just temporary until the weather improves.
The Oblivious One

Is the Sanctuary open all season?
rossdeadmanz

The Oblivious One wrote: Is the Sanctuary open all season?
As it stands I believe The Sanctuary will be closing in May, prior to the opening of The Smiler
Owen

rossdeadmanz wrote:
The Oblivious One wrote: Is the Sanctuary open all season?
As it stands I believe The Sanctuary will be closing in May, prior to the opening of The Smiler
14th april  ;)
altontowerskid

Well, I'm definitely feeling for Towers' management right now.
Delayed new attraction, snow causing closure, park-wide power cut today and general poor attendance figures (speculation from my visit and pictures of others).

I really hope this season turns around for them, they need The Smiler to be a huge hit with the GP and some good summer weather during the school holidays! :)

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've even convinced a larger group of friends (up from 8 to 15) to our annual Scarefest visit and an extra trip in the summer :) Every little helps ;)
Luce

It is unfortunate that events like power cuts and bad weather disrupt the normal course of things at AT but these can't be helped sometimes and are out of the park's control.  However, I do sympathise with the people who visited today, especially if they had to make a long journey and hopefully no other interruptions to the season will occur.  I think The Smiler will definitely bring in the guests and boost the attendance figures as it is a major new coaster for the park and I for one can't wait until it opens.
Exterminieren

It is absolutely no surprise that attendances are low. I visited earlier in the week on the first part of a Double Joy ticket, and it was noticeably quiet. It's hardly a stretch to speculate that people are waiting for The Smiler.

On the plus side, I've never rode so many on the rides in one day before!
altontowerskid

Exterminieren wrote: On the plus side, I've never rode so many on the rides in one day before!
From a guests point of view it's fantastic, but I can imagine management are pulling their hair out at the loss of revenue! I just hope they can turn this season around and have a brilliant summer, Scarefest and Fireworks :)
JayJay90

Luce wrote: It is unfortunate that events like power cuts and bad weather disrupt the normal course of things at AT but these can't be helped sometimes and are out of the park's control.  However, I do sympathise with the people who visited today, especially if they had to make a long journey and hopefully no other interruptions to the season will occur.  I think The Smiler will definitely bring in the guests and boost the attendance figures as it is a major new coaster for the park and I for one can't wait until it opens.
I agree, I was there for the power cut and the amount of people that switch from having fun to mouthing off was insane, really felt for the staff.

However, I was at the pizza buffet area of the park next to RMT and the staff werent very informative with what was going on. One did go and find help and came back with news and information and still everyone moaned. I think Alton did make the best out of a bad situation opening longer and re validating everyones tickets; what more could they have done? I do understand people travelling miles and miles etc but if theres a power cut and something is out of towers hands what were they meant to do?
Magerita

Yesterday, someone had broken the record of most rides on Nemesis in one day. Heard one of the staff members talking to the public on the bus. He had ridden nemesis 80 times in a row! I still find that quite amazing ,simply because he didn't eat all day, I'm also guessing that he went on single rider to be able to ride it 80 times!
My name's actually Rita ,so feel free to call me that  ahhah :P
TB2

Magerita wrote: Yesterday, someone had broken the record of most rides on Nemesis in one day. Heard one of the staff members talking to the public on the bus. He had ridden nemesis 80 times in a row! I still find that quite amazing ,simply because he didn't eat all day, I'm also guessing that he went on single rider to be able to ride it 80 times!
They must love the FOUR INVERSIONS.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Benji

Looks like the rehydrator is getting some needing tlc

[credit to roodlesnouter]

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
the smiler :-)

Did any of you know that John Wardley is retiring after The Smiler, his last rollercoaster after all his worlds first? [eg oblivion worlds first vertical drop air the worlds first horizontally flying ect] Finally he comes to the biggest and the best, THE SMILER with worlds first 14 inversion coaster. Well done John Wardley! :D
Last edited by the smiler :-) on Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.