Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

Justin

You beat me to it!
Last edited by Justin on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan.B

Is it too late for a x sector flat?
Nickolai

Towers have put this on their Snapchat too. I have questioned them.

EDIT: The thing about the flat - possibly one in FV and X Sector?
Formally Smiler313
MakoMania

Didn't they say to watch out for news very soon about Galactica? New VR?

Then again, why the smiler stuff!?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Nickolai

They could be hinting at VR for The Smiler for a possible April Fools... I don't know :lol
Formally Smiler313
MakoMania

Smiler313 wrote:They could be hinting at VR for The Smiler for a possible April Fools... I don't know :lol
Don't even

Apparently the VR on Galactica hasn't been in operation for the buyout days, don't know if that could be related?
NemesisRider

So, this teaser is obviously hinting at something involving Smiler and Galactica. I think at this late notice, what it could be is pretty limited:
1. Big Six Challenge returning. If they post further teasers featuring, for example, Nemesis and Oblivion I think this is very likely.
2. A new Galactica sequence. Galactica hasn't operated for the public with headsets so far this year, so it could be another sequence they created before they realised Galactica was commercially unsuccessful. This doesn't explain the Smiler part however.
3. An announcement relating to Galactica opening late into the evening, as was tested last year. Doesn't explain the Smiler part (unless they wanted to open Smiler later too?).

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Also, Smiler VR is not going to happen: the ride is probably too rough, but also much too popular. Plus, we would have seen something about planning permission (most likely).
OhShambhala

Smiler renovations and new Galactica vr videos?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
ThemeCrafter264

Knowing Merlin, it will be the Big 4 due to budget cuts, but being more serious, I am very intrigued to see what this all means! :D
Nickolai

What I meant is it will be an April fools prank that they announce The Smiler has VR. No way would it ever happen. I'd hate it personally.
Formally Smiler313
wamdue

I think we can rule out an April Fool, its pretty poor form to tease your April Fool. never mind teasing it almost two weeks before.

As for what it is, I hope it is not VR on the Smiler, The Smiler is a great coaster in its own right and a joy to ride, both in terms of the loops, twists, and also its a strong visual experience. If I was to think of some VR visuals to fit the theme, it would be very dark, twisted, horror movie type stuff to fit the theme, whilst its not impossible I think it would be too dark for alot of people, and not the right choice for the ride and the park over all. Also whilst I dont believe we need a 2nd VR coaster, it if was up for debate, I would not want it on any of the X-Sector rides, same for Nemesis. That said if they could do something with the Nemesis back story theme with VR, that could be good, really put you in the moment the nemesis creature came out the Earth*, then ride Nemesis alot more involved in the story. Something a little better than narration via news reader, and something escaping an egg. I just dont think a second VR retro fit is an option.

*Really need to ride the Ghost Train at Thorpe Park, to see what could be done with that idea.
Last edited by wamdue on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.J_O'Grady

First SW8 in GW, and now this?! They're obviously just trying to make my brain explode.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Dan

I believe it'll be something similar to the Big Six Challenge that was running in 2015 before the incident on The Smiler.

It will be interesting to see what other teasers they put out in the coming week leading up to the park opening and whether any of the other major coasters are referenced.

Also, VR on The Smiler? No. Just. No.
MakoMania

Dan wrote:I believe it'll be something similar to the Big Six Challenge
Gosh, that'd be a big tease about nothing :(
T0mPr1ce

Wish people would stop freaking out, it's clearly the new 'destination' (or one of) for Galactica. If it was the Big 6 why include aesthetics of only two rides at the park. Galactica background, with Smiler 'S'. The new VR film will have something to do with the Smilers theme most likely.
Count-Vonduel

In my mind, this smiler VR thing can go only 2 ways...both of them ending with an egg being launched at Merlin's face to a soundtrack of self indulgent laughter as they fail to learn anything and continue to add more and more... Sorry I got a bit carried away there!
In my mind it will be ether a really traumatising sanctuary theme or a really garish and sickening drug trip, so I hope its not that!
It could be new VR for Galactica and something new for smiler with both of them being unrelated.
mezza

Hard to see what this could be which isn't a terrible idea.

VR on Smiler is on so many levels unthinkable.

A teaser for a VR on Smiler April fool? No. Still too soon for a silly PR stunt related to the Smiler. Will just cause the press and social media to remind everyone about the accident again.

A new destination for Galactica? Possible, but for all the themes you could choose, why theme it around another coaster you've already got? Does t make a lot of sense.

A big 6 type promotion? Possible, but would be pretty anti-climactic to tease it in this way.

So I hope it's none of these things. But I don't know what else it could be.
Burniel

So, it's either something that relates to both Galactica and The Smiler or it's a couple of minor but different changes to both. Being the "newest" coasters of the Big Six, it could easily be something related to that (especially as this is the last year of it being "the big six").

I honestly can't see the park doing anything to The Smiler on a level that would make the press ... they'd be slaughtered.

New event, possibly relating to those two coasters in particular somehow? Maybe "late" night openings on them both? It's ambitious and I don't see why they'd want to open a coaster as far from the hotels as The Smiler, but you never know.

I think the Big Six Challenge is easily the most likely here. Regarding this:
T0mPr1ce wrote:Wish people would stop freaking out, it's clearly the new 'destination' (or one of) for Galactica. If it was the Big 6 why include aesthetics of only two rides at the park. Galactica background, with Smiler 'S'. The new VR film will have something to do with the Smilers theme most likely.
Why would a Smiler-themed film be put on Galactica? Actually, why would a new film be put on Galactica? Most people are in agreement that it'll be a couple of years or so before we see that. Even if one were to be put on this year, why tease it now? The film would presumably be ready for opening day (no closures announced), so why wait until a week before opening to mention it? This could be marketed as an entirely "new" experience, with its own advertising and everything. As for only showing two of the rides, these are the two newest of the six and are both very popular. No reason why all six have to be on there, it's only the first tease.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Nickolai

Could Behind the Scenes be coming back? However it could be seen as controversial doing it on The Smiler...
Formally Smiler313