Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AltonOperator

Taking a look at 2020's Accessibility Guide shows some interesting stuff including this table:

It shows the 3 new or renamed rides in The World of David Walliams and also confirms that Cuckoo Cars will be officially a part of the Towers area. It also shows the new Bugbie Go Round re-theme. Most interestingly, it seems to suggest that The Blade will be returning for 2020. Many changes have been made to the guide but removing Blade was not one of them. I strongly believe it was intentional.
Thanks Jack
Dan

Alton Towers have released updated information about how the park will operate in response to COVID-19.

Alongside the ability to transfer pre-purchased park tickets, and social distancing measures, the opening of The Alton Towers Dungeon for the season has also been delayed by a few weeks.

Full information can be found here.
Dan

Alton Towers has announced that the start of the 2020 theme park season will be postponed in light of the recent measures announced by the UK Government as a result of the COVID-19 virus.

The Resort have confirmed that the theme park will remain closed until further notice. Those with hotel bookings and pre booked tickets are advised to visit http://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/coronavirus

Further updates will be provided as and when the Resort is able to provide further information.
wamdue

Pleased to read that, after reading this article.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/los-angele ... 202888170/

A little shocked Merlin even tried to open at all.
Swarm Chris

wamdue wrote:pleased to read that, after reading this article

https://deadline.com/2020/03/los-angele ... 202888170/

A little shocked Merlin even tried to open at all.
Merlin's apparent interpretation of the science, medical expert review and Government advice, was extremely questionable.

Any sanitisation steps they had planned likely had little scientific backing they would actually work. Simply because there isn't the scientific data available to confirm their validity. Just recommendations to try and keep those 'essential' services and workers as safe as possible.

Given every remaining park and tourist attraction across the country announced late yesterday they would close, and at roughly the same time with practically the same initial ending date, I would suspect they all got a phone call from the Government yesterday. My guess from a very annoyed official.

Stay home everyone. It's the only way to beat this thing until a vaccine is produced. <3
wamdue

Of course this is an ever evolving issue, Alton Towers is not a football stadium but even when football has been suspended, the idea a theme park was planning to open seemed crazy to me. It's not like Disney was staying open, Merlin had every reason to delay opening before yesterday.
Aidan Lowe

Kinda surprised it's taken them this long to announce postponement with a place like Alton Towers like football stadiums attracting people from all corners of the country.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
wamdue

Aidan Lowe wrote:Kinda surprised it's taken them this long to announce postponement with a place like Alton Towers like football stadiums attracting people from all corners of the country.
True for international guests as well, even if they can't get in right now.
I should look up how much the near by B&Bs cost, does anyone have a price for what it was, or was last year?
Mr_Gibson

It’s as much a business decision as anything else. Given that visitor numbers are finally on the up, a longer than usual close season won’t do much good for the balance sheet.
wamdue

I dont have the numbers to support it, but The World of David Walliams should send the message that Alton Towers has gotten past "The Smiler incident" and has been able to invest money in the park again. 2020 is shaping up to be a lost year for so many.
Dan

As reported on TowersTimes social media; Following the continued social distancing measures that are in place as a result of COVID-19, Alton Towers are now requesting all guests with short break bookings up to 1st June to change their reservations online. The theme park opening times have also been adjusted to confirm that the Resort will remain closed until at least 1st June.

More details can be found on the Alton Towers website.

Coaster Chall

I'm thinking that 1st June date will get pushed back to at least 1st July, maybe even further back to 1st August and they'll just operate over August, September, October and November and to make up for those months they weren't open, maybe the Christmas event will get improved by letting park guests into the park as well as hotel guests (obviously with social distancing measures in place)
wamdue

Doesn’t October and November depend on a little factor called the British weather? Schools will also be back in session at that point.

Meanwhile what does social distancing  look like on a rollercoaster? 25% loads? 50% loads?

Will it be worth it?
Swarm Chris

wamdue wrote: Meanwhile what does social distancing  look like on a rollercoaster? 25% loads? 50% loads?
For sure the minimum recommended distancing of 2m doesn't apply when you're moving, especially at higher speeds.

An aerodynamic study of droplet transmission in different activities, suggests that distances would increase at higher speeds, suggesting a running pace in zero wind conditions might be better increased to 10m to maintain a similar level of exposure risk as 2m gives when standing stationary [source].

Basing on just this research alone, it would suggest to me that only a single row could operate per train. However, it would require additional and specific research on both the aerodynamics side and the risk of droplet transmission in ride settings, to be able to declare one way or the other whether attractions could operate and maintain a social distancing level of safety.
Liam.W

wamdue wrote:Doesn’t October and November depend on a little factor called the British weather?
The park always opens in October and November, why is it all of a sudden an issue now?  :-k
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

wamdue

I got a closing date of October 20th right now, but weather still impacts attendance on those days. Those days are not the same as summer when it comes to the amount of people visiting.
Swarm Chris wrote:
wamdue wrote: Meanwhile what does social distancing  look like on a rollercoaster? 25% loads? 50% loads?
For sure the minimum recommended distancing of 2m doesn't apply when you're moving, especially at higher speeds.

An aerodynamic study of droplet transmission in different activities, suggests that distances would increase at higher speeds, suggesting a running pace in zero wind conditions might be better increased to 10m to maintain a similar level of exposure risk as 2m gives when standing stationary [source].

Basing on just this research alone, it would suggest to me that only a single row could operate per train. However, it would require additional and specific research on both the aerodynamics side and the risk of droplet transmission in ride settings, to be able to declare one way or the other whether attractions could operate and maintain a social distancing level of safety.
Great post. I admit in my mind I was only really thinking in terms of a stationary train.

With all the talk about social distancing being with us for the rest of the year, it might be that the park is almost unable to open this year.
Last edited by Dan on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Dan

wamdue wrote:I got a closing date of October 20th right now, but weather still impacts attendance on those days. Those days are not the same as summer when it comes to the amount of people visiting.
Where have you got 20th October from as a closing date? The Resort’s website still has Sunday 8th November down as the scheduled last day of the season.

Also, with regards to October & November not being as busy as the summer period, Scarefest and Fireworks say hello.
wamdue

Dan wrote:
wamdue wrote:I got a closing date of October 20th right now, but weather still impacts attendance on those days. Those days are not the same as summer when it comes to the amount of people visiting.
Where have you got 20th October from as a closing date? The Resort’s website still has Sunday 8th November down as the scheduled last day of the season.

Also, with regards to October & November not being as busy as the summer period, Scarefest and Fireworks say hello.
Yeah not sure what dates I was looking at last night.
Scarefest and Fireworks, yes the park is busy for those events. Can Merlin even afford to run the mazes this year? Will social distancing allow it? Ghosts and ghouls who cant come within 2 metres of you, are not all that scary.

I went to Thorpe Park a few years ago in either Sept/October, and it was awful. No atmosphere, rides closed. These end of season days are not the same as regular days.
Liam.W

wamdue wrote:I went to Thorpe Park a few years ago in either Sept/October, and it was awful. No atmosphere, rides closed. These end of season days are not the same as regular days.
That's just because it's Thorpe Park, it never has an atmosphere and closed rides  :lol :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

wamdue

Now now be nice. I am sure Thorpe Park spend a lot of time and money making sure Stealth is closed, so guests are disappointed.