Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
LittleReidy

scruffy_ wrote:
Dan says hi wrote:It looks like Enterprise has now opened for this season!
Typical it opened the day after I went!
Same here!
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
Wagstaff04

Does anyone have any new pictures of the new Enterprise – signage, queue etc. 
Cobby

Wagstaff04 wrote:Does anyone have any new pictures of the new Enterprise – signage, queue etc. 
Leek signs shared some photos on facebook a couple of days ago
Dom

These are the pictures mentioned :)

(Images taken from the Leek Signs FB page)
astead02

Well...I'm not disappointed by that one bit.
Love that new pattern in the center of the wheel.
Swarm Chris

As posted by TowersTimes News, Coca-Cola European Partners have announced a partnership with Alton Towers Resort to trial autonomous robotic drinks delivery at the Resort.

Traveling at speeds of upto 3mph, the robot is equipped with a series of sensors allowing it to navigate the park and avoid collisions. If the trial is successful, the use of the delivery vehicles could be expanded to the Resort's hotels to provide robotic room service.

Could be interesting seeing these robots navigating the Resort!
ponder

Enterprise is looking much better! Yellow and black would've been cool, but it's still an improvement :)

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
maxjbutton

Swarm Chris wrote:As posted by TowersTimes News, Coca-Cola European Partners have announced a partnership with Alton Towers Resort to trial autonomous robotic drinks delivery at the Resort.

Traveling at speeds of upto 3mph, the robot is equipped with a series of sensors allowing it to navigate the park and avoid collisions. If the trial is successful, the use of the delivery vehicles could be expanded to the Resort's hotels to provide robotic room service.

Could be interesting seeing these robots navigating the Resort!
The thing on the front of it looks like it has just been taped on!
Swarm Chris

maxjbutton wrote: The thing on the front of it looks like it has just been taped on!
It certainly does look like they used some additional methods of securing the scanner to the front of the robot!

In the press photos released by Coca-Cola European Partners, the scanner isn't attached. So I suspect the robot is still a prototype, and that the scanner was attached for a demonstration to Resort staff after the press photos were taken, with Coca-Cola not being fully confident in the main attachment mechanism. :)
ponder

Am I the only one imagining some kind of Black Mirror scenario where the Coke-bots gain sentience and take control of the park?  :lol

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
Bert

ponder wrote:Am I the only one imagining some kind of Black Mirror scenario where the Coke-bots gain sentience and take control of the park?  :lol
They remind me of the Pizza delivery machines that keep running people over rather than the dogs from Metalhead.
[Insert Signature Here]
Dom

Apparently, Hex now features actors. These are bumbling restoration workers. They are apparently in the octagon room.
LittleReidy

Dom wrote:Apparently, Hex now features actors. These are bumbling restoration workers. They are apparently in the octagon room.
We noticed them on our last few trips this season. I prefer it.
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
Morgan

There's been a host in the scene from the start of the season- they tend to shine a big torch towards guests at the end of the scene before directing them through the "secret passage" :)
Rob
Admin
Admin

There’s a short video currently on the BBC News website about the Theme Park Management degree course that was designed in conjunction with Staffordshire University by Merlin Entertainments and run at Alton Towers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... udent-life
Dan

Photos have emerged showing Blade has been removed from its position in Forbidden Valley. Signage around the ride indicates that this is just a temporary measure while the ride undergoes maintenance but there are some people on social media who believe this may be permanent.

Source: Jayne Mitchell in the “Alton Towers News and Discussions Group” on Facebook.
Tom170499

There’s also been signage hinting that the closure of N:ST was a temporary measure but look what happened there 8-[
Coaster Chall

I've a feeling this is for something bigger... A Forbidden Valley redevelopment, including Sub Terra and Blade sites
Harry347

I'm sure they refurbed in recently, this year or last, seems strange to me that they would remove it. On the other hand black buccaneer at chessington has been down all season, not sure they are the same model but they're both HUSS I think, could they be sacrificing the blade for parts for black buccaneer? 
Swarm Chris

Harry347 wrote:I'm sure they refurbed in recently, this year or last, seems strange to me that they would remove it. On the other hand black buccaneer at chessington has been down all season, not sure they are the same model but they're both HUSS I think, could they be sacrificing the blade for parts for black buccaneer? 
Black Buccaneer is now closed for good and won't be returning to Chessington.

The ride vehicle of The Blade was refurbished this year, as were I believe a few other parts of the ride system. Given it's the busiest time of the year, the decision to perform early maintenance would not have been taken unless absolutely necessary.