Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Htjc_

Rita88 wrote:Went today and what’s happened to Enterprise?? Are they ripping it out cos looked like half of it was gone??!
Enterprise is still getting it's yearly checks done to it. Sadly, the park ran out of time to get it up and running for opening day but as far as we know it's staying at Alton Towers for a while yet.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Dan says hi

Looks like the Rapids have now opened for the season. Not sure if there’s any waterfalls though!
DeadJack5

As reported by TowersTimes, Alton Towers Resort has received four nominations for the ScareCON SCAR awards, the annual awards which recognise and champion all aspects of the scare industry – from Halloween events, to year-round scare attractions.

These nominations being for: Best Year-Round Scare Attraction for The Alton Towers Dungeons; Best Set, Costume and Make-Up for Project 42; Best Set Piece or scene for Project 42's final scene; and Best Street Team and Entertainment.

What do you make of the nominations the resort has received this year?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Alton Towers have revealed their 2019 TV advert this evening, with the focus being the 'power of the towers':
It does appear that they've adopted a new style when compared to the adverts of recent years, but I quite like the new look.
Justin

I really like it. I think it is because it features more 'real' footage instead of CGI. I also like how they have mixed the sounds of the resort.
stevebrown

lewis97 wrote:Alton Towers have revealed their 2019 TV advert this evening, with the focus being the 'power of the towers':
It does appear that they've adopted a new style when compared to the adverts of recent years, but I quite like the new look.
First advert post incident to show The Smiler?  I do like the ride logo constellations in the sky at the end.
Dom

Its quite a magical advert and it even make the pods look kinda cool. I think they should be extremely proud with it. I hadn't noticed the ride constellations at the end until you mentioned it, that's a nice little touch.
stevebrown

Dom wrote:Its quite a magical advert and it even make the pods look kinda cool. I think they should be extremely proud with it. I hadn't noticed the ride constellations at the end until you mentioned it, that's a nice little touch.
Call me a geek but ever since the hidden angle poise lamp in the Toy Story 2 opening credits I'm always looking out for things like that in CGI starry skies!
DeadJack5

Alton Towers have announced that 2019’s Ultimate Fireworks Spectacular will run for three nights, the first time the event has operated over three evenings since 2015.

2019’s event will be staged on 8th, 9th and 10th November, meaning the 2019 season will finish one week later than originally announced. Scarefest will also be extended by two days to finish on Sunday 3rd November.
ROYJESS

Great news apart from that I've already booked a weekend stay for the 2nd Nov thinking it was going to be Fireworks weekend.
Dan

This is very positive news that I’m sure will be welcomed by many. After a tough few years, to see the Resort extending the season and putting a third date back onto the Fireworks event is very promising.

Although, I can understand the frustrations of people who have already booked accommodation (both on and off site) for the first weekend in November. From browsing social media, it’s apparent that Towers didn’t do a very good job of contacting people who have booked for the original Fireworks weekend, and these guests are now having to chase the Resort to get their booking changed.
ROYJESS

I've got my resort weekend re-booked without any fuss and a prompt refund on my old booking.  I've actually got a better deal plus an extra night which I paid extra for.  I just hope those that booked a hotel off site and those who have booked time off work may be able to get their stay and time off work moved. 
nicky.borrill

Anybody know if staggered openings are still operating tomorrow?

Every mid week visit I’ve done so far this year, they’ve not opened anything in KC, GW or FV until 12.
Dan

nicky.borrill wrote:Anybody know if staggered openings are still operating tomorrow?

Every mid week visit I’ve done so far this year, they’ve not opened anything in KC, GW or FV until 12.
The only staggered openings this year are Runaway Mine Train, Congo River Rapids and Duel, which open at 11am.

All other rides and attractions open at 10am.

I was on park on Thursday and the ride opening schedule was as above :)
nicky.borrill

Awesome... Was at Thorpe last week so wasn’t sure. They were, however, staggered the week before.

Not that I blame them, EVERYTHING was walk on, and even with the openings like that, we had done everything, some things multiple times, by 1:30.

Come to think of it, Monday was busier (and normal openings, I assume, we headed straight for WM then X-Sector and around that way on the Monday) but Tue and Thurs that first week were dead, dead, dead.

Edit: My apologies, missus has just corrected me, it was 11 not 12, but it DID include FV on the Tues at least, can only be sure it included KC on Thurs as we saw that and didn’t bother heading any further in. My memory is not what it once was apologies.
Wortho

I went to the park for the first time in 6 years yesterday and whilst I had a great time and the Wickerman was brilliant, I cannot help but feel that the park is really starting to lack in flat rides. Submission gone, Ripsaw gone, Enterprise not looking like its going to be open for a while, Twirling Toadstool gone. Anyone else feel that instead of putting in paid for attractions the park really needs a couple of good new flat rides adding maybe 2 in the same season so they don't get over crowded just so people have something more to go on than just coaster after coaster.
Htjc_

Wortho wrote:I went to the park for the first time in 6 years yesterday and whilst I had a great time and the Wickerman was brilliant, I cannot help but feel that the park is really starting to lack in flat rides. Submission gone, Ripsaw gone, Enterprise not looking like its going to be open for a while, Twirling Toadstool gone. Anyone else feel that instead of putting in paid for attractions the park really needs a couple of good new flat rides adding maybe 2 in the same season so they don't get over crowded just so people have something more to go on than just coaster after coaster.
This isn't an uncommon belief and I personally agree with you. I believe in the next few years we'll be seeing a redevelopment of Cloud Cuckoo Land and possibly Spinball Whizzer. With the redevelopment it's likely that some medium thrill flats will come as there isn't much for young children too old for cbeebies and too young for Wicker Man and Th13teen. From what I've heard, The Alton Towers Dungeon has been successful but I think the money would have been better spent on some more filler attractions. Hopefully we'll see an improvement soon!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Mr_Gibson

I was using google street view to look around Alton Towers the other week. The pictures are quite old so you can see ripsaw in full swing and the crowds queuing, watching and using the food outlets. That area is a shadow of its former self.
Swarm Chris

Looks to be quite busy today. Cars were queued in both lanes up to the resort entrance when I left this morning.

Good to see that guest numbers appear to have remained at similar levels so far to those of last year.
GregH94

Queue times haven’t quite matched this time last year, but I’m guessing that’s because operations are better?