Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PhNx Survivor

It also reminds me that my wallet will be empty for the rest of the month, but at least I'll have had a good day!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Ladyofthelake

As reported by TowersTimes Social Media, Alton Towers have confirmed their 2019 theme park admission prices. The only increase is to the adult 'On The Day' ticket which now costs £56 - and increase of £1 on 2018's price. The prices for tickets booked 5+ days in advance remains at £33, and child ticket prices also remain unaltered.

I don't think there's a huge shock in the small increase in the adult 'On The Day' rate with the season pass going up to £56. I do think making minimal changes to the ticket pricing is the right move for this season, especially with The Alton Towers Dungeon being an upcharge attraction. Had they decided to increase ticket prices as well as charge for the Dungeon then it would have created a lot of ill feeling and lost them much of the progress that Wicker Man helped them make.
Swarm Chris

Seems reasonable to keep the prices where they were, as they haven't really added anything for this year as part of the standard ticket price. Plus if my suspicion of 4pm off-peak closing is coming back, then there would be zero justification to increase the price.

One thing I don't understand is the new marketing campaign they've just started, talking about how much money people will spend on leisure this year. To me that seems like they're trying to sell themselves to investors, not visitors.
Did you know that Brits are set to invest £8.2 billion a year on activities with their loved ones? Discover more about the research from Britain's Greatest Escape: https://t.co/xdaQoMDFqI #PoweroftheTowers https://t.co/yTHqeE5lv2
But I can't even see it working with investors, as reading the link where they get that figure from, it looks like the figure is entirely made-up. An expectation that people will double their leisure spending in 2019 compared to 2018. Why?
Bert

Also, if they are trying to sell to investors why do it through Alton Towers social media and not at a sort of Merlin trading update where most investors will see it.

It just seems weird to me. “We’re expecting to make more money this year” is a very stupid way to market yourself to the public.
[Insert Signature Here]
Dan

As reported on TowersTimes social media; Alton Towers have confirmed their theme park opening times for the 2019 season.

The park will be open: 10am - 4pm during off-peak weekdays, including the first week of July; 10am - 5pm during weekends and school holidays; and 10am - 6pm during the summer school holiday period.

Scarefest and Fireworks will once again see the theme park open until 9pm.

Details for Early Ride Time have also been confirmed, with a very similar line-up to 2018 being offered this season:
If you are a hotel guest or Merlin Annual Passholder you are entitled to Early Ride Time. Selected rides and attractions will be open from 9:30am including:

Mutiny Bay
- Wicker Man

X-Sector
- Oblivion
- Enterprise

CBeebies Land
- Get Set Go Treetop Adventure
- Go Jetters Vroomster Zoom Ride
- In the Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
- Justin's House Pie-O-Matic Factory
- Numtums Number-go-round
- Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
- Postman Pat Parcel Post

ERT does not take place after 4th October 2019 due to our Scarefest & Fireworks events.
What are your thoughts on the opening times and ERT line-up for the upcoming season?
Swarm Chris

Disappointing. 

So they do a marketing campaign stating people will spend double the amount on leisure in 2019, but then leave the opening hours on the bare-minimum they can get away with. Guess management don't believe much of that money will be coming their way then?
Tom170499

Yet more disappointment. There’s nothing else really to say, just more and more reasons for me to doubt buying a MAP this year.
GregH94

4pm off peak is utter turd, however it also says on there that these times aren’t at all final and much like last year will be updated nearer to the date and extended when necessary, I’d expect half of April and May to turn out to be 6pm instead of 5 easily. I’m guessing the new model is set a minimum close time but keep it flexible. 

I was hoping for a bit of a different ERT line up, but WM and Oblivion is still decent and by the looks of it the staggered opening times for the big coasters have gone for good (thank God) 
AltonOperator

It makes a lot of sense for them to stay open later to exploit tea/dinner time, especially if the times are extended last minute, as people will most likely not have brought their own lunch and tea
Thanks Jack
Justin

Forgot to post this yesterday, but Alton Towers Resort Jobs on Instagram had an interesting story and on it, when paused, was the following...

It looks like effort will be put into Splash and rides. Hopefully, rides like The Smiler will be clean!
Swarm Chris

It's a shame there were pictures of angry parents queued through Splash Landings at the weekend, due to the resort's apparent overbooking of the water park. Reportedly people with hotel and water park bookings were turned away from the water park, due to capacity having been reached. Not a great way to begin the year, or attempt to increase those quality standards.

However, except for a couple of outliers, I found the staff at Alton to be extremely good on guest experience last year. I hope that management are aiming to improve quality standards through increased budget and staffing. Rather than just applying pressure on staff to do more and burning them out, which seemed to be what was happening at Thorpe last year.
GregH94

Justin wrote:Forgot to post this yesterday, but Alton Towers Resort Jobs on Instagram had an interesting story and on it, when paused, was the following...

It looks like effort will be put into Splash and rides. Hopefully, rides like The Smiler will be clean!
I saw this too. Surely this can only be good...
Justin

I hope it is a positive thing! In my opinion, some rides need to be neatened up, which will hopefully addresses the ride satisfaction aspect of this presentation.
AltonOperator

Justin wrote:Forgot to post this yesterday, but Alton Towers Resort Jobs on Instagram had an interesting story and on it, when paused, was the following...

Anyone read the bit in the bottom right corner? because it sounds about right
Thanks Jack
Nickolai

Yeah it looks like an example of typical guest feedback
Formally Smiler313
Swarm Chris

For those that can't:
We have had a great day at the theme park today, especially our meal at the Roller Coaster Restaurant. But I am disgusted that I have to pay £6 for the car park. I have spent over £200 on tickets to [come to] the theme park and £50 on food. Is that not enough [?]
Fairly common complaint I presume. Hate to think what Thorpe get with their £8 to £15 standard car park charge, depending on where you pay.

My concern here, is that if this is from a HR event, it's probably being used as a tool for addressing how people respond to disgruntled customers, rather than management addressing the actual problem.
Nickolai

It’s a little sad that they know these complaints are people telling the truth.
Formally Smiler313
DerpyQuark

I’m really excited what they’ll do to improve Splash Landings. Perhaps they might give it a refurb, or a general spruce up.
Who knows with Merlin.
Justin

I'm sure I've seen that complaint about the car park, or one very similar on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about the car parking charge as it doesn't really affect me with my MAP. I understand that charges are used to control traffic flow and maintain services, but as Alton isn't really in a built up area, does it really need it?
If a charge was to be applied, wouldn't it be better if they applied an extra £1 or £2 onto ticket prices? That way a payment is being made to maintain the car park, but not directly through a parking charge. Controversial, I know!

With regards to Splash, I cant see them investing in new rooms etc. Prehaps an improved guest experience through entertainment and FB?
AltonOperator

Justin wrote:I'm sure I've seen that complaint about the car park,  or one very similar on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about the car parking charge as it doesn't really affect me with my MAP.  I understand that charges are used to control traffic flow and maintain services, but as Alton isn't really in a built up area, does it really need it?
If a charge was to be applied, wouldn't it be better if they applied an extra £1 or £2 onto ticket prices? That way a payment is being made to maintain the car park, but not directly through a parking charge. Controversial,  I know!

With regards to Splash, I cant see them investing in new rooms etc. Prehaps an improved guest experience through entertainment and FB?
Personally, I don't think the charge is restricting the amount of cars and controlling traffic flow at all. anyone coming in a car usually just deals with the charge. the car parks are just gravel. they shouldn't need a high amount to maintain them. if anything the charge is an issue because of the hold up when everyone rushes out but has to buy a token at the machines and then again when people are getting tokens scanned. It's also a terrible way to end a day. No one likes getting hit by hidden fees. my solution: add a little to the ticket price, as Justin said. It could act as a minor marketing point that they have free parking as well as alleviating the need for staff on the barriers and they can get rid of the machines. Guests will leave marginally happier, without a sour taste in their mouths when they head to trip advisor on the way home.
Thanks Jack