Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Secret Weapon

It looks like the Woodland Walk has opened again!

Finally!! This is great news!

Pictures taken from TT Twitter
Dan

As reported on TowersTimes Facebook; Following changes over May Half Term, Oblivion and Enterprise have now replaced Spinball Whizzer on Alton Towers' Early Ride Time line-up going forwards, which will still see Wicker Man and selected CBeebies Land attractions open at 9.30am for Merlin Annual Passholders and hotel guests.

In somewhat related news, the staggered ride openings have been reintroduced, after being removed during May Half Term. I can’t say I’m surprised by this, but it is disappointing to see, especially after how much better the park operated last week. I can only hope that the staggered openings are removed over the summer holidays as a minimum.
LittleReidy

Dan wrote:As reported on TowersTimes Facebook; Following changes over May Half Term, Oblivion and Enterprise have now replaced Spinball Whizzer on Alton Towers' Early Ride Time line-up going forwards, which will still see Wicker Man and selected CBeebies Land attractions open at 9.30am for Merlin Annual Passholders and hotel guests.

In somewhat related news, the staggered ride openings have been reintroduced, after being removed during May Half Term. I can’t say I’m surprised by this, but it is disappointing to see, especially after how much better the park operated last week. I can only hope that the staggered openings are removed over the summer holidays as a minimum.

Do you happen to know what the staggered opening times are? I’m heading down next weekend.
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
Robert.W

LittleReidy wrote:
Dan wrote:As reported on TowersTimes Facebook; Following changes over May Half Term, Oblivion and Enterprise have now replaced Spinball Whizzer on Alton Towers' Early Ride Time line-up going forwards, which will still see Wicker Man and selected CBeebies Land attractions open at 9.30am for Merlin Annual Passholders and hotel guests.

Do you happen to know what the staggered opening times are? I’m heading down next weekend.
Source

Stan.H

I really hate these staggered openings (as I've said multiple times before), like I understand they need to do this due to budgets, however, I feel at the bare minimum they should have all the coasters open at 10 am -  I understand if they don't open rides like Duel, Hex, Battle Galleons until later, but, all the coasters should open at 10 am, or 10.30 am at the very maximum as to me it does come across as quite an insult to guests paying at least £25 or more likely £55 to get in. If they really have to stick to staggered openings then I think they should keep them in place on off-peak weekdays but alter them for weekends so all the coasters open with 'rope-drop' as it is causing unnecessary large wait times for the only open coasters. 

Edit: Think I've answered my own question here about the large waits... Large Waits = Fastrack Packages purchased * cha-ching *  :lol :lol
Swarm Chris

But large waits caused by half the park not being open leads to more unhappy people. More unhappy people means more complaints and more staff hours being spent managing them.

Then the going rate for a complaint is a fast pass. So longer waits also means more free fast passes being dished out.

It's probably a false economy!
Stan.H

Most people don't even bother to complain any more, the negativity of negativity can be found on Tripadvisor. 

Also, I highly doubt staff give out free fastrack for people complaining about large queues, at the end of the day, it was their decision to get into the queue and not purchase fastrack - however, it's understandable if the advertised queue time was wayyyy off the actual wait, but, on the majority fastracks are almost definitely not handed out almost as an 'achievement' for complaining they waited for 2hours for something. They would probably at the very maximum be given a 10% discount card for food or merch (if given anything at all). 
Swarm Chris

I've got fast passes at Thorpe this year for "bad experience", due to the park barely operating any rides. Overheard a group end up with 20 of them the weekend before last due to their bad experiences. So yep they do hand them out if you word your complaint well :)
Stan.H

That was handed out though due to you having a bad experience as limited rides were operating, they weren't handed out because rides had queues. If the park worked like that people would be getting free fastrack for complaining a burger and chips costs £8. 
Mikw

For me, staggered openings aren't a problem on quiet days. I arrive at 11am, go straight to Thirteen and Rita, then go to Forbidden valley and do Nemesis. Then walk to Wickerman, and by the afternoon X sector has gone quiet, so The Smiler and Nemesis get plenty of rides.  Then to Galactica for the last ride of the day and exit by the rollercoaster restaurant.
Robert.W

Yeah. The staggered opening times aren't so much of an issue on quieter days. During the holidays and weekends etc., they just don't work though. I'll be very very disappointed if they are still there during the summer holidays. 

Also, what about Scarefest? Would they dare keep the staggered opening times during such a busy event?

LittleReidy

Robert.W wrote: Image
Source

Thank you, I was hoping when they scrapped them after the negativity at the start of the season that they wouldn’t bring it back. I’m hoping it isn’t like this for Scarefest.
Melissa
Instagram - GingerFreckledGirl
Blog - www.GingerFreckledGirl.Wordpress.com
Dan

LittleReidy wrote:
Thank you, I was hoping when they scrapped them after the negativity at the start of the season that they wouldn’t bring it back. I’m hoping it isn’t like this for Scarefest.
I don’t believe the staggered openings will be in place for either the Summer holidays or Scarefest.

The fact the park removed them for May Half Term suggests they’ll look to operate on a, more what we would call, normal schedule during peak times.
streetmagix

Having just gotten back from Walibi Holland, looking at the staggered opening times at Alton just make me sad. Walibi Holland had all the coasters open from 10am on the dot, some of the kids and water rides opened a bit later. There were probably less than 500 people on park all day, it was dead. Sure, they closed a few rides early but no complaints there. 

Along with the lack of public transport (again, Walibi is also fairly remote yet had a bus every 30 minutes for the entire day), staggered opening times, short opening hours, removal of single rider queues and a distinct lack of care, attention and maintenance I think I'm pretty much done with Alton Towers until they improve. Merlin are very capitalistic so I'm sure they'll understand.
ROYJESS

Was on park today, the ride operations were good and the park was quiet.

Nemesis was on two trains and the sky ride opened around 11am.
I would have like to see the DF rides opened at least at 10.30.  I would hope that the staggered opening times would be abolished during busy days and events.

A staff member brought to my attention today that this is the first season that Alton has have 4pm ride close during the month of June.  Considering the ERT was cut and the staggered ride opening times, this is not great opening times for June.    They have also mentioned that Merlin has really slashed the budgets this season hence all the cuts.
Swarm Chris

ROYJESS wrote: A staff member brought to my attention today that this is the first season that Alton has have 4pm ride close during the month of June.  Considering the ERT was cut and the staggered ride opening times, this is not great opening times for June.    They have also mentioned that Merlin has really slashed the budgets this season hence all the cuts.
And we're heading towards school trip season...

I made the mistake of visiting during schools week last year. If they maintain low staffing during it this year, I pity anyone who makes the same mistake.
Robert.W

Looks like Alton Towers are about to pull another classic Merlin style publicity campaign... this. :lol

TheBeornen

Hahahaha imagine if someome did call their child Th13teen or Galactica.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

Only name that seems obvious is Rita...

I wonder if it's specific to Alton Towers rides or just any theme park, and if the name has to be exactly that of the theme park ride or just inspired by it? They've not really given people much information to go off to be honest.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

I don't believe it's limited to Alton Towers attractions, and I think the name just has to be linked to a ride rather than being exactly it.