Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AltonOperator

This is not mentioned on the map anywhere. Its also very hard to find on the website so the majority of people would only find out when they get to the barriers at the towers and KC or when they check the queue times and see 'open at 11.00'. Most of these peoples' next words are: "What a con"
Thanks Jack
Robert.W

Yeah, misleading probably wasn't the right word to use. The ride opening times really are just so badly communicated to guests. They really should have put them on the map, because when you're walking around in the morning, and you're greeted by several blocked off pathways saying that the rides in those areas don't open until 11am, and people are standing around wondering exactly what is open... just isn't that great to be honest.

And this situation is made even worse when the rides open even later than advertised on the signs around the park... it really is sad that staggered opening times have come to Alton. It just rubs salt in the wounds to open the rides even later than that, then to have them open and close numerous times during the day due to poor reliability.

I'll always love Alton, it'll always be my number 1 park. But it is sad to see what things have come to. One can only hope that Merlin will learn a lesson from what they are doing to the park this year.  

Swarm Chris

Can always hope for next year. Thorpe Park had a bad year last year, but this year we get longer opening hours again and even late nights over the summer.

It wasn't long ago I was hearing noises that they are looking to move Alton to year round operations, and the increase in hotel rooms can only be useful for them if they are actually open.
Robert.W

That's a good point. I do have a bit of hope that things will be different next year! 

Moving to all year operations sounds interesting. And you're right about the hotel rooms too. Surely they'll only make even more money if the theme park is actually open! :) 

streetmagix

I think it'll be a while off before Alton Towers are ready for year round operation but it would be nice of them to open say the Gardens/Towers and maybe Cbeebies Land year round. They could maybe have a rotating set of thrill rides open on certain days to judge the demand. Monday X-sector and Dark Forest would be open, Tuesday Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley, Wednesday Forbidden Valley and Wicker Man and so on. They could then do winter maintenance on a rotating basis but still offer some rides to the guests visiting.
Swarm Chris

Definitely seems most likely that any increase in operating days will centre around CBeebies Land. Looking at last year's Christmas pictures, looks like they did a really nice job and were open each weekend and Christmas week.

Of course, what they should do is fill the B&M coasters with water, attach a few immersion heaters, then they'd have the world's first centrally heated rollercoasters, that will work whatever the weather. Merlin like world's firsts don't they? :D
Robert.W

:lol To be honest, that's not even a bad idea, heated roller coasters!! 

I like what streetmagix has suggested, with the rotating of different areas, depending on demand, as well as to get maintenance done, whilst maybe keeping say CBeebies Land, Mutiny Bay as well as Duel and Hex open most of the year.

streetmagix

Somehow Phantasialand claim to be able to run Black Mamba (a newer B&M Invert) at -10c! When I was there it was around 2-3c and it ran very well. 

I guess they have special cold weather wheels and grease, not really worth it for a few days (see opening weekend) but for an entire winter season it could be done.
Swarm Chris

-10c! I rode the Swarm over Easter in about 5c and light rain, and it felt like I was going to get frostbite in my fingers after a few goes.

On the rotating opening idea, it seems something like this could have been done instead of this staggered opening silliness. Have a morning crew trained to operate a couple of rides, then move them around as necessary for morning variety and to mop up issues when the chosen ERT and 10-11am rides don't want to start that day.
wamdue

yes I rode Swarm, when it rained, was not pleasant. 
Morgan

I personally don't think Alton Towers could handle being open all year right now. It seems that they're struggling to run the park as it is because of the tiny budget the resort gets given, so extending this to another hundred or so days seems impossible without a substantial increase in budget.

The suggestion of certain areas for certain days isn't one I'm particularly fond of- I already struggle to fill the day as it is when everything is open (especially when combined with the staggered openings), so having entire areas closed wouldn't help. Also to note is that some people have very tight work schedules, so they may want to ride Nemesis for example, but the only times they could visit, it would be shut. If this is to do maintenance, then why not do it like Disney where they shut a ride off for a month or so before reopening it? Whilst neither are ideal, I prefer it to shutting entire areas off. 

I also believe that there isn't the demand for the park to be open daily either. Whilst the park is certainly busier this year (or at least seems so because of the staggered openings), the park would virtually always be quiet. It sounds appealing, but it would cost the resort a lot of money for a product that not many would be interested in.
Swarm Chris

First time back since last July and it seems there are a lot of positive changes. Very impressed with the increase in theming across many attractions, Duel actually feels like a haunted house again and the smoke effects with the lasers are brilliant. Felt that Hex had also had some touching up in the second show room. There's a neat little model of the Wickerman track in the rollercoaster restaurant.

Monorail to the park a complete nightmare though, even at 11am. From outside it seemed they barely got 30 people on at a time and the queue only really moved when people gave up and walked. Return was handling things much faster. But they really need some air gates in there so they can batch people while the trains are moving.

Was also surprised to see bag check removed from Th13rteen. Can understand the cost savings on that, but it's certainly awkward placing bags right at the back of the station after clambering through the train. It's not like a B&M where you can easily walk to the cage and back.
Bexa

I went to the park a few weeks ago, and my father who I went with was so appalled at the staggered opening times and the fact The Smiler was closed all day that he wrote a letter of complaint to the park. In a response email they sent us 2 free tickets to the park, and 2 solo fasttrack passes to all rides but Wicker Man. 
I'm not a fan of them closing the single rider queues, or the new baggage holds either, found Th13rteen's awkward too
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
Mikw

A lot better today, all rides seemed to open all day, no massive queue at the plaza. Ride effects working again. Much better.
Robert.W

This is all really good to hear! Alton Towers, please this keep up! 

Swarm Chris

They did a pretty good job today.

Wickerman had it's somewhat normal early morning disagreement with tech services.

Nemesis opened late, then stopped again within the first hour of operations. They have now blocked row three on both trains, which I don't remember being the case yesterday.

Galactica seems to be finding an irony of: all seats VR and no one wants VR; only 3 rows VR and suddenly a lot more people want VR.

Staff were awesome across the park. Felt that management are being a little unfair on some of the ride operators, as people appear to have several jobs on some rides, where previously you might have had another member doing that part.

Also found one operating difference that's strange between Thorpe and Alton. At Thorpe every unoccupied seat with a seatbelt has that belt done up and checked. At Alton, the seatbelts are just left dangling. Did the one up next to me on Nemesis as didn't particularly want it waving around during the ride.
Tom170499

TPC wrote:Also found one operating difference that's strange between Thorpe and Alton. At Thorpe every unoccupied seat with a seatbelt has that belt done up and checked. At Alton, the seatbelts are just left dangling. Did the one up next to me on Nemesis as didn't particularly want it waving around during the ride.
Not one unoccupied seatbelt was fastened when I was at Thorpe on Thursday/Friday. I would have thought that it would have been the other way round, especially with Alton being so safety conscious. 
Robert.W

I have to say, Nemesis is worrying me a little. It's usually super reliable, with very few issues and downtime, ever. Interesting issue with one of the rows blocked off.. that can't be to do with the trains then, especially as one of them was given a full refurbishment. Something wrong with another part of the ride? 

I can only laugh at the Galactica situation though... :lol

streetmagix

When I was there a few weeks ago the train without wheel covers (I'm assuming the refurbished one) had Row 5 or 6 blocked off. The one with wheel covers had all rows available. The staff were frantically rearranging people for alternate trains. They were also batching which is the first time I've seen them doing it, normally it's a free for all.

Hope it's just a blip, maybe there were other things that needed doing to Nemesis apart from the train rebuild which we don't know about.
Swarm Chris

Tom170499 wrote: Not one unoccupied seatbelt was fastened when I was at Thorpe on Thursday/Friday. I would have thought that it would have been the other way round, especially with Alton being so safety conscious. 
Crazy! Have been there maybe a few too many times this year already and every seat of every ride had them buckled up. Even when they sent out empty trains, they went through the whole process of unbuckling, raising, lowering, and rebuckling.

Wonder if the weekend crews are significantly different, or whether there's been an across the board operations change recently.