Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

MakoMania wrote:The cuts to the technical services department are really showing this season.
What a sad state of affairs that this is becoming normal :(

Monorail is currently unavailable as well.
I believe the park have had some snow overnight, and this may have had a knock-on effect on their ability to get the rides open this morning.

I know Merlin are responsible for a lot of things, but the weather isn’t one of them :P
MakoMania

There is no snow or ice, temperatures are currently 6/7°C and winds are only 11mph according to the BBC and Met Office.

The park also confirmed earlier today that they expected a full ride offering.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Muppet738

Yes probably more due to the snow.

Update: Well we're on park and yes there is snow and ice.
MakoMania

Muppet738 wrote:Well we're on park and yes there is snow and ice
Typical BBC & Met Office then :P

I do wonder why Oblivion is opened but none of the others are though, and why they were saying that there would be a full ride offering.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Muppet738

Just been told they have opened Galactica but don't have a ETA for 13, Smiler, Rita or Wicker Man.
The Nemesis Fox

Just opened Smiler
ewoodier82

I'm not very experienced with this stuff but was planning to visit tomorrow, would the rides be expected to be able to operate as usual from opening tomorrow?
Muppet738

Rita, The Smiler and Nemesis have now opened.
Justin

ewoodier82 wrote:I'm not very experienced with this stuff but was planning to visit tomorrow, would the rides be expected to be able to operate as usual from opening tomorrow?
The majority of rides operate above 2°c, so as long as it above that then you'll be fine. Remember though, all rides are subject to availability.
jackf1tz

With just 10 minutes until ride close, Wicker Man has opened, and is currently on a 0 minute queue!
nemefan08

That’s very impressive, very well done to the park to get this open so late when they could have left it closed.
Stan.H

jackf1tz wrote:With just 10 minutes until ride close, Wicker Man has opened, and is currently on a 0 minute queue!
Wicker Man didn’t open, the app stated it did, however after running all the way from Oblivion to the entrance, the ride was shut. There was just an issue with the app.
Liam.W

Yeah, near enough half the people in the park ran to Wicker Man to be let down, including me :lol

Someone was having some fun with the queue time board, we had 0, -15, -60, and 123 :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

SmileAlways

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures from my recent visit on Friday 23rd March, it was quite chilly and breezy with Oblivion having to temporarily cease operation due to the wind alarm, Wicker Man also had a couple of stoppages but all in all the day was really good. We managed Wicker Man 3 times, with our second ending with us sitting for half an hour at the end of the brake run.

The second picture is taken from the monorail, hence the effect.

Also, what is everyone’s highest score on Duel?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Justin on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98
Joel Allen

SmileAlways wrote:Also, what is everyone’s highest score on Duel?
24,000 I think, I hope to beat it later this week!
SmileAlways

Mine was originally 20,000 but when during my last visit I got 37,700 making it my new personal best
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98
JC13

Around 45,000!
Phild94

A practically shameful 68,400!

It was a very quiet day with no one on carts before or after us!
Robert.W

My highest was 27,000 if I remember correctly (I know it's a bit crap, but I don't often use the guns any more). :)

SmileAlways

I intend to beat my personal best when I go back in September for my annual trip, maybe even before that if I get chance