Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
owenrita121

Sawboss wrote:I'm looking at booking a lodge for 5 people for Scarefest, 102 quid per person for 2 nights. Not bad at all I reckon.
But does that include theme park tickets though? If you have a Merlin Pass then fair enough, but then tickets on top doesn't make it such a good deal.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Sawboss

owenrita121 wrote:But does that include theme park tickets though? If you have a Merlin Pass then fair enough, but then tickets on top doesn't make it such a good deal.
Yeah that includes the 2 day ticket for the theme park. I'd probably never book a stay if not for the sale, and it will be my only trip to AT this year unfortunately.
owenrita121

Sawboss wrote:
owenrita121 wrote:But does that include theme park tickets though? If you have a Merlin Pass then fair enough, but then tickets on top doesn't make it such a good deal.
Yeah that includes the 2 day ticket for the theme park. I'd probably never book a stay if not for the sale, and it will be my only trip to AT this year unfortunately.
That is a good deal then to be honest, just a shame someone who isn't going with a group gets the same deal.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Sawboss

Gotta cram in as many people as you can to get the best deal :P
Adam.W

With all the negative media attention around the park over the last year, will The Sun still be doing the alton towers vouchers offer this year?
Aidan Lowe

Andy Mc wrote:So during Santa's Sleepovers guests will enjoy a free Cinderella pantomime.
It seems IMAScore did the soundtrack to the pantomime Cinderella. Few words from Pete Cliff over at their website here
Pete Cliff wrote:Yet again IMAscore have outdone themselves by composing the musical score for the Alton Towers Resort’s Christmas show Cinderella. Working within the exceptionally stylistic realm of British Pantomime, the team fully embraced the genre and created a soundtrack that was full of festive enchantment with just enough musical whimsy to keep it embedded in its traditional roots. Another great example of the talent held by the IMAscore team.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
MerlinFan

Going to be controversial but out of principle we choose not to stay in the Alton Towers Hotel and choose to stay in one of the area's local B&Bs instead.

For one thing, it's generally much cheaper. Secondly, Alton Towers is a huge benefit to the area in terms of bringing in tourism and I think the local businesses should be able to cash in on this - most of them rely on tourism for their livelihoods. The same goes for local pubs and restaurants (there are some cracking places to eat and drink). I think AT gets enough of our money in terms of entrance fee, parking and what we spend inside the park.

Do consider supporting the local businesses too. We haven't had a single bad experience with any of the local B&Bs and all the ones we have stayed in (which is a fair few) have been beautiful and warm and friendly - one owner even decorated our room and gave us cake when they found out it was my birthday at no extra charge! And the last one we stayed in was one that John Wardley himself always stays in because he loves it so much - we didn't know this until we chatted to one of the owners!
Aidan Lowe

Not sure if this was picked up on but this year its now under 3's that get in for free instead of under 4's.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alton Towers Resort wrote:Hi, it has changed to under 3's this year.
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:Not sure if this was picked up on but this year its now under 3's that get in for free instead of under 4's.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alton Towers Resort wrote:Hi, it has changed to under 3's this year.
Yes I saw that just a few moments ago, I think they're trying to increase revenue from the CBeebies attendance base.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Master_feedback

Can't see that doing any more than make that part of the park quieter. .. so far of all the things they have done I think the under 3s thing is the biggest gamble. ..
MakoMania

Master_feedback wrote:Can't see that doing any more than make that part of the park quieter. .. so far of all the things they have done I think the under 3s thing is the biggest gamble. ..
A gamble that I think will work for them in revenue per capita terms though.
Muppet738

I think they have made it under 3 to bring it inline with their other parks because most attractions where under 3
Macca79

Ok just went to book my yearly stay for september in the hotel.
To be told the park is closed every tuesday and wednesday for september but they cant say why.
To book the thursday and friday in the hotel is 200 more than monday and tuesday what a con.
Ive been going the same time for 17 years.
ive never been so angry with them as i am right now
Dan

Macca79 wrote:Ok just went to book my yearly stay for september in the hotel.
To be told the park is closed every tuesday and wednesday for september but they cant say why.
To book the thursday and friday in the hotel is 200 more than monday and tuesday what a con.
Ive been going the same time for 17 years.
ive never been so angry with them as i am right now
The reason they have given is that they are days on which "historically guest visitation has been very low"

I think we all know the real reason behind these off-peak weekday closures. It's not something I'm overly happy with as I too used to traditionally spend a couple of days in early-September at the resort but if this course of action helps secure the long term future of the park then it'll be worth it.
Aidan Lowe

http://www.altontowersholidays.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be a new website at least to my knowledge, says on WHOIS it was registered November 16th 2015. Am I right in thinking they've extended the short breaks till end of February now, thought it was the middle of February it ended.

First it was 35%, then an offer of 40% now 30%. 8-[
MakoMania

Andy Mc wrote:http://www.altontowersholidays.com/

Seems to be a new website at least to my knowledge, says on WHOIS it was registered November 16th 2015. Am I right in thinking they've extended the short breaks till end of February now, thought it was the middle of February it ended.

First it was 35%, then an offer of 40% now 30%. 8-[
The website has been up at least since September.
stealthsmiler

Adam.W wrote:With all the negative media attention around the park over the last year, will The Sun still be doing the alton towers vouchers offer this year?
Im not sure however I have just seen an advert on TV for two free tickets to Chessington with the Sun, so maybe they have changed parks but within the same company to keep the link, most probably wont realise Merlin own both. Its a shame if its changed given that although AT will want as much full paying visitors as possible, getting in people for free would help people move past this I think, whilst also improving the atmosphere by increase guests numbers
Tom170499

stealthsmiler wrote:
Adam.W wrote:With all the negative media attention around the park over the last year, will The Sun still be doing the alton towers vouchers offer this year?
Im not sure however I have just seen an advert on TV for two free tickets to Chessington with the Sun, so maybe they have changed parks but within the same company to keep the link, most probably wont realise Merlin own both. Its a shame if its changed given that although AT will want as much full paying visitors as possible, getting in people for free would help people move past this I think, whilst also improving the atmosphere by increase guests numbers
They still have to Alton Towers logo on their website so it would suggest that they are still in alliance with the resort. Something that might explain your point is that as the image shows below, the CWoA logo is first in the list with AT being third so they may have changed the order in which the offers are presented.
Galactica2016

I noticed this at the waterpark today:

Seems to be a new restaurant opening inside the waterpark itself. It wasn't open when i was there but looked very new. Staff were putting out tables and menus etc...

It's to the left of the Chainging Rooms, from what i remember it used to just be a random fire door!
dazza4783

Tom170499 wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:
They still have to Alton Towers logo on their website so it would suggest that they are still in alliance with the resort. Something that might explain your point is that as the image shows below, the CWoA logo is first in the list with AT being third so they may have changed the order in which the offers are presented.
I think they will wait until a bit later when Galactica and The Roller Coaster Restaurant are open, or about to open. They will want to get the bad press from The Smiler re-opening out of the way first I guess.